Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,803 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone never done this kind of stuff before. So lets get to it. I'm a single mom of 4 children who all want to be in the entertainment business. Im always getting cards from local scouting agents (San Diego) Damm and its always at the mall now that i think of it and from my childrens teachers,friends and family. Back to what i was saying. I've lived in San Diego about 33yrs. We want to move to LA so we can all chase our DREAMS. Need help in finding a Great area to move to. No Gang Areas, quiet and at least 10 to 15 miles to where you would think agencies and auditions would be held. I want a area where it's nice, houses are about nice size about 1600 to 2200 s.f. rent about $2000 to $2600. Good schools and great people... I"M SCARED but READY Thanks for your TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,296,175 times
I'm looking forward to the responses You sure you aren't messing with these people?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,248,884 times
Have fun with that. You and about a 100,000 other families are doing the same thing. My kids have never done it but many of our friends have. Countless drives to read scripts, photo shoots, you name it, and that is the legit part of the business. Plenty more that are trying to sell you some package deal that will guarentee your kids get in the business. Just a note: If you have to pay to get a job, there is no job.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,391,312 times
#1. Auditions are held all over Los Angeles (valley, westside, long beach, even Orange County) so it's not reasonable to insist that they be within 10 to 15 miles of where you live, it's not possible. If you don't want to take an audition outside of a geographical area then tell your child's agent (they won't be too pleased about that).

You say: I want a area where it's nice, houses are about nice size about 1600 to 2200 s.f. rent about $2000 to $2600. Good schools and great people...

I say: It will be next to impossible to find a house for that amount in a decent area with that kind of square footage. You would easily pay about 2k per month for a 900 sf apartment.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,596,856 times
Actually, let's realistically help her out career-wise.

Firstly, are your kids natural show-offs? Are they shorter than their age group? Do they think that being the center of attention is so fun that they can handle rejection and disappointment, even in their parents? If you haven't answered all three with "yes," your kids are not qualified, no matter what they look like.

And by the way, how are you at networking and cold calls? Can you convince strangers without putting them off? An agent will arrange the go-sees and cattle calls, but the parent has to do the interfacing. (The actual job of a stage mother ends when the kid actually is hired: the stage mother then stays silently in the background, overseeing their kids' best interests.)

"Scouting agents" generally are reps for an acting schools or whatever they call themselves, wherein you'll be asked to shell out a lot of money for whatever services they claim in promises.

A true artists' agent never requires you to pay anything, except perhaps for photos. And most will stear you to beginning pro photographers who may want to photograph children/actors for free anyway, to goose their own portfolios. Wanting money is always a red flag: there are so many businesses here set up to prey on gullible hopefuls.

One of the few exceptions would be modeling schools, and that's a real longshot. Modelling schools accept money from all teen aspirants, even those with no physical qualifications to actually model, because there occasionally will be a tiny few numbers with the right qualifications who can then be showcased to actual agencies. Then the school can rightfully claim that their students become real models, while they rake in the profits from the never-wills. (Another exception would be occasional "schools" for production work. Normally people break into production work from recommendations from friends, family, or film schools, before they can become union. If one lacks all three inroads, the occasional production "school" can give you pointers about becoming a P.A., or where to log onto crew hires.)

You need to get online and google Screen Actors Guild, and find out facts associated with children working. P.S., I'm a professional photographer (and I don't work for free.)

Last edited by fastfilm; 09-10-2008 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,410,046 times
2000 for a house....

Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,129,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieCA View Post
Hey everyone never done this kind of stuff before. So lets get to it. I'm a single mom of 4 children who all want to be in the entertainment business. Im always getting cards from local scouting agents (San Diego) Damm and its always at the mall now that i think of it and from my childrens teachers,friends and family. Back to what i was saying. I've lived in San Diego about 33yrs. We want to move to LA so we can all chase our DREAMS. Need help in finding a Great area to move to. No Gang Areas, quiet and at least 10 to 15 miles to where you would think agencies and auditions would be held. I want a area where it's nice, houses are about nice size about 1600 to 2200 s.f. rent about $2000 to $2600. Good schools and great people... I"M SCARED but READY Thanks for your TIME
Get an agent in San Diego. Try it there and see how it works out. Then you can think about moving to LA. It's not like you're terribly far from LA. Test it out locally and by driving up and seeing some agents in LA before you go making a big move. Entertainment kids need parents who are very grounded and don't do things on a whim.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM

190 posts, read 442,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Have fun with that. You and about a 100,000 other families are doing the same thing. My kids have never done it but many of our friends have. Countless drives to read scripts, photo shoots, you name it, and that is the legit part of the business. Plenty more that are trying to sell you some package deal that will guarentee your kids get in the business. Just a note: If you have to pay to get a job, there is no job.
This is among the most sound advice you'll ever hear. As someone with a mild interest in the entertainment industry, I can say that my research keeps coming back to this. There are too many swine out there who are primed to take advantage of peoples' desperation to get into the industry. The only thing you should pay for is a school, as long as it has a good reputation and can help the kids build contacts.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,332,794 times
The next time one of those "Scouts" come up to you in the mall, ask them if they have a permit to solicit business in the mall you are in. Whatever it is they respond, ask them for their name and business card, and let them know you are going to the mall security desk to report their unauthorized activity.

Someone I know fell for this racket hook, line, and sinker (and is now out over $5,000). I kept telling her that it is only legit if they don't ask you for money, but she and her hubby were actually invited to a seminar explaining how they would have to set up a trust for all the major bucks their kids would be earning them and after that all they could see were the $$$$$ in their eyes. (Seeing as how neither one of their kids seemed exceptional in any way, I knew it was a rip-off to begin with, but I digress...)

Here's a sample of what you'll find when you google a firm like O'brien/Rottman (who have done a disappearing act, but is probably already operating under another name):

Services, Acting lessons - O'Brien/Rottman Studios agency dissappeared

Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM

276 posts, read 1,016,896 times
Well, the first thing to know is that you need to be sure that it is your kids that want to be "stars" and not you the parent.

Second, beware of "scouting agents" seeking out your children. It is almost always a scam behind it, and the bottom line is they want your money.

These types have been out there forever and they stay in business because of parents who feel that their little darlings are the cutest, most wonderful children in the world.

When you settle down in LA simply gather information on agents (from DGA/SAG,etc.) who are legit. Then call/submit photos of your children and try to get them to represent them. You may have to have professional photographs made, but it should not cost you anything else.

Agents do not sign talent unless they feel that they can make money from them. That is why they are agents. Unless your children have something really special and they have real sale~able talent, it is a hard row to hoe.

And, no matter how cute/talented your children are, the one thing they must be able to do is take direction well.

All you can do is go for it!

Break a leg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles