Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times

Advertisements

Spincycle, in the United States we cannot put "population caps" on areas regarding people moving intra-United States. I know this happens in the People's Republic of China, but this does not happen in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Perhaps not.

We should be putting "caps" on the populace - immigration controls/monetorium. Too many people, enough is enough. LA has past the point of no return, even with detailed planning going foward (as you propose), things will never be better. There's too many people, someone has to stand up and say "CALIFORNIA- NO VACANCY".

Which should have been done 2-3 decades ago (for the past and present populace).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
We can't roll back time and turn this into LA of the 60s or 70s. The millions of people are here to stay, and more are on the way. The sooner we come to grips with the fact that LA is growing bigger and denser by the day and the sooner we begin to plan for that the better things will get. And part of that planning includes dedicated light rail, commuter rail and subway systems.
First of all as the building of the Red Line proved, a subway system is not viable in LA. I'm talking about the building not the actual running. I'd rather my tax dollars go to improve emergency services and schools rather than build a light rail so that transplants can their cake and eat it, too. If you want to move to a dense area, be prepared to live densely. If you want to commute to avoid living with all the non-White people, suffer the consequences of a long coomute.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:52 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
First of all as the building of the Red Line proved, a subway system is not viable in LA. I'm talking about the building not the actual running. I'd rather my tax dollars go to improve emergency services and schools rather than build a light rail so that transplants can their cake and eat it, too. If you want to move to a dense area, be prepared to live densely. If you want to commute to avoid living with all the non-White people, suffer the consequences of a long coomute.
I wonder: How was the construction and/or use of the LACMTA a failure?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
What? maybe we want to avoid living near bigots like you appear to be No wonder you want to move to the South [hurry, please

Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
CBS 2 is saying he was texting also. Apparently he was talking to teenagers (weird for an adult) that aspire to be conductors themselves.

cbs2.com - EXCLUSIVE: Engineer In Deadly Metrolink Crash Sent Text Message Just Before Collision (http://cbs2.com/local/Metrolink.Engineer.Robert.2.817045.html - broken link)
adults(18-19) or teens who arent adults 17 and under

Old 09-15-2008, 12:33 AM

190 posts, read 443,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Spincycle, in the United States we cannot put "population caps" on areas regarding people moving intra-United States. I know this happens in the People's Republic of China, but this does not happen in the United States.
Not to mention doing so would be just silly. Imagine if a population cap were put on New York, London or Tokyo when they had 4 million people- these cities would not have grown to be as globally significant as they are today. There's still much room for LA to grow, and geography is going to dictate that the growth be vertical and be coupled with more mass transit.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymum View Post
Not to mention doing so would be just silly. Imagine if a population cap were put on New York, London or Tokyo when they had 4 million people? These cities would not have grown to be as globally significant as they are today. There's still much room for LA to grow, and geography is going to dictate that the growth be vertical and be coupled with more mass transit.
Exactly. The state recently passed & the governor has signed legislation that will closely monitor growth \development with restrictions. Already, LA county has refused construction of more housing in the hills above Santa Clarita. Plain & simple, we do not have the water to accommodate uncontrolled growth & city\ state planners are encouraging high rise apartments around transit centers [ie. like Pasadena had done]. More light rail & commuter trains are the absolute future for LA and much of urban California. The "bullet" train between LA & Sacramento\ Bay Area is one of Schwarzenegger's priorities.

In-fact, we may need to get accustom to longer travel times on both the freeways & mass transit [a whole different life-style for Californians].

Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What? maybe we want to avoid living near bigots like you appear to be No wonder you want to move to the South [hurry, please
Excuse you?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I wonder: How was the construction and/or use of the LACMTA a failure?
Building the Red line was one disaster after another and cost three times to build it as it was originally suppose to the city of LA cannot tolerate underground building. There is a reason why you can't build a basement here. Between the bus-sixed sink hole that opened up during construction and the sinking of Hollywood Blvd, the city realizes that building underground in LA is not viable. Also, a good number of businesses were lost along the building route bacause customers couldn't get to them. Using the tracks along Exposition that already exist isn't a bad idea. But public transportation living in LA will never be a practical thing on a regular basis.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
But public transportation living in LA will never be a practical thing on a regular basis.
Don't know how far back you're experience goes with pubic transportation in southern CA, but anyone who compares today's system in L.A. to just ten years ago would not agree with your statement that public transportation in L.A. is unworkable. I remember the RTD in the 70s and 80s. Talk about a lousy system, that was it! Today's system of subways, express bus lines and commuter rail is a light-year's leap in improvement for L.A. Just like the Interstate highway system that took 40 years and billions of tax-payer dollars to build, a decent public transportation infrastructure in southern CA takes vision, work, commitment and money. But in the end it's a benefit to everyone -- even those who never use the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles