Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Thread on the Miami forum.
I was wondering what it is like in Los Angeles, another city with a large immigrant population.
Do you notice a lot of flags flying outside peoples homes compared to the rest of the country? been awhile since i been to L.A but it seems like there were more people flying flags compared to MN.
plus there is a stereotype that Californians arent that patriotic and don't like America but i think thats just crap made up by southern conservatives who don't know what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Honestly , I hardly ever see this in L.A

Kind of sad I guess.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:46 PM

223 posts, read 470,666 times
This is quite common in the suburbs but you hardly see it in the urban areas.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
^Yeah. Very rare in LA city and its neighboring interchangeable cities like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, and WeHo. Only flags I've seen are in rich, Republican leaning areas - which there are very few of in LA (maybe Woodland Hills, Tarzana/Encino, and Pacific Palisades). If you go to the suburbs, there's far more flags. I do remember after 9/11, everyone in the Westside had an American flag though.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:07 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
I see it a bit in my area, especially down my street. Most of the houses have those little flags that you stick into the lawn. I've even seen some houses with multiple. I agree though, its not super common all over.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^Yeah. Very rare in LA city and its neighboring interchangeable cities like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, and WeHo. Only flags I've seen are in rich, Republican leaning areas - which there are very few of in LA (maybe Woodland Hills, Tarzana/Encino, and Pacific Palisades). If you go to the suburbs, there's far more flags. I do remember after 9/11, everyone in the Westside had an American flag though.
Yeah that didn't last too long!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that didn't last too long!
It is too bad. When we were still in So California I hardly remember anyone flying the flag in front of their house on a regular basis. Here in AR, as well as when we lived in Texas and yes, NM it was a common sight. I would say about 20% flew the flag.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
I see it all the time in our neighborhood.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM

377 posts, read 529,504 times
most Californians were asleep while 9/11 was happening, and since it happened so far away, most Californians feel detached and apart from it, like it happened in some far away foreign country and don't really feel that they should be involved in the post 9/11 wave of patriotism, but California is important, especially when it comes to training the armed forces since it's one of the few places where some of the terrain and conditions are similar to the deserts and dry lands of the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan where US troops are being deployed

Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 AM

I'm not so sure about that. I think a lot of Californians were affected by it. After all how many former New Yorkers are there in CA ? How many still have family in New York. Also the Californians that have family in New York. Also NYC is a top tourist location for the world so many people have gone there many times and know it well.

I've heard from people I know of people they know that were directly affected by 9/11 . To say most Californians were asleep is pretty extreme. Coverage of 9/11 went on for years and years.

Also i'm wondering in NY how often you see the flag? of course many in NYC live in apartments but what about the areas of NY with homes. To say that NYC people are more patriotic than Californians is kind of ridiculous..

So I just don't think that's true. Events that happen in other countries don't get covered as much as 9/11 did.

I do have to say though that if it happened in L.A instead of NYC.. the coverage would of been significantly different.

The reason for this is the major media news outlets are based out of NYC, which is why National coverage is very NYC oriented.

Although it would be nice to see more people fly the flag, if one doesn't fly the flag it doesn't mean one isn't patriotic or loves the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles