U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,568 times
Default Rent increase because of new baby?

Hello,

I live in Los Angeles proper (90036 zip). My landlord has just raised my rent 10% because my wife and I had a child 2 months ago. I'm told that the raise is due to an additional tenant now living in our apartment.

This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone confirm whether this increase is allowed? If not, might anyone be to help me with a link I can show my landlord showing that this increase is not allowed?

Thanks,

Enos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 05:38 PM

51 posts, read 189,266 times
hi, that's my zip too... we are under rent control.

"The landlord cannot necessarily evict for having additional occupants. Given the extraordinary rents these days even under rent control, many tenants are doubling up or finding temporary housing with a friend until they find another place, and this reason for eviction is growing. The "additional" tenant is not a replacement for a former roommate, nor a guest who resides elsewhere or has lived there exclusively less than 30 days. This is not the tenant's additional child, either by birth or custody change, but this exemption only applies to TWO additional children. This is not the sole additional adult, either, which permits an adult caretaker, parent, friend, lover, or other person to join the tenancy. The landlord still has the right to reasonably disapprove of the new tenants [except the children] and to charge the additional 10% for each new tenant [except the first additional child] who stays beyond 30 days, by a 30-day written notice changing terms of tenancy. The disapproval is limited to the new tenant's rental history, ability to pay the extra 10% rent [Reg. 310.10] or exceeding overcrowding limits [about 50' per person -Reg 952.01]. It seems that the 30-day notice can't be given until after the 30 day stay, so that it wouldn't take effect until the third month of such occupancy."

I think the whole Rent Control PDF is also available online, if you search a bit. print it out and show it to your landlord...

Last edited by bettyklang; 09-13-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 09-13-2008, 05:51 PM

3,173 posts, read 4,227,499 times
Quote:
This is not the tenant's additional child, either by birth or custody change, but this exemption only applies to TWO additional children
Quote:
adult caretaker, parent, friend, lover, or other person to join the tenancy. The landlord still has the right to reasonably disapprove of the new tenants [except the children] and to charge the additional 10% for each new tenant [except the first additional child] who stays beyond 30 days, by a 30-day written notice changing terms of tenancy.
Yup. Tell him/her whats up.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 PM

2,719 posts, read 4,454,574 times
Sounds like your landlord is trying to pull a fast one on you, as the other responses clearly show he can't raise the rent for the first child. It's good that you have questioned this and didn't just accept it lightly.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM

2,100 posts, read 5,268,775 times
If you are in a rent-controlled unit, the landlord cannot raise your rent for a first child. If you are not, the landlord can raise your rent for any reason or no reason at all (with proper notice) unless your rental agreement specifies otherwise.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Sounds like your landlord is trying to pull a fast one on you, as the other responses clearly show he can't raise the rent for the first child. It's good that you have questioned this and didn't just accept it lightly.
The OP did not indicate that he resides in a rent-controlled unit. If he does not, the guidelines posted by others do not apply.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyklang View Post
hi, that's my zip too... we are under rent control.

[redacted]

I think the whole Rent Control PDF is also available online, if you search a bit. print it out and show it to your landlord...
rent control has nothing to do with one's zip code. it is property-specific.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 PM

3,173 posts, read 4,227,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
The OP did not indicate that he resides in a rent-controlled unit. If he does not, the guidelines posted by others do not apply.
Still, it still sounds fishy. It doesn't seem right to raise rent because of 1 child born to a tenant.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 PM

2,719 posts, read 4,454,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Still, it still sounds fishy. It doesn't seem right to raise rent because of 1 child born to a tenant.
Exactly.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:02 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,288,221 times
doesnt seem right, but there is nothing wrong with it if its not a unit under rent control and if the lease doesnt have stipulations against it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles