Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 53,450 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to be driving down to Los Angeles from Fresno this weekend to see a dodger game with my boyfriend. The game isn't until 7PM and we want to get into LA by 11AM so that we can have the day to do something. I'm just not sure what. I want to stay within 45 minutes to an hour away from LA so that we aren't doing a whole lot of driving. Any ideas of what we could do for the day? I was thinking the beach, but I'm not sure what beach is closest to dodger stadium. I also thought maybe we could explore Hollywood, but I'm not sure exactly what we would be looking for.. If anyone has any advice, or reccomendations, I would appreciate it so much! Also keep in mind, I am 20 and my boyfriend is 23. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 PM

352 posts, read 481,411 times
The Griffith Park Observatory first comes to mind . Then drive thru the park to see other things . LA Zoo, Travel Town ... you don't have to have kids to enjoy those . Enjoy your time here !

Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,032,133 times
Huntington Garden is awfully nice, and within a reasonable drive from Dodger Stadium.

I think you can't do better, though, than the Observatory (and possibly other Griffith Park fun). You can see the Hollywood sign from up there, and the surrounding area is gorgeous. Lots of cute coffee shops and such, as well. That is an area that used to be called East Hollywood, and there have been lots of movie stars living around there forever. That would maybe fill your Hollywood bill....

I'm not sure what to tell you about beaches. None of them are exactly convenient to Dodger Stadium; although it's definitely doable if you budget enough drive time. Santa Monica is possibly the closest geographically to Dodger Stadium, and it would be well over an hour's drive, in my experience. Others may have better insight on this, 'cause I'm still pretty new and haven't done much of this drive yet.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:37 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,404,824 times
Id do the Getty.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:38 PM

142 posts, read 753,190 times
Just my honest opinion here, but I think with your age you might get bored at the Observatory. It's okay to go, but not if you only have a few hours. If I were you, I would go straight to Santa Monica to go to the Promenade and the pier. You can also go walk around the Hollywood Blvd. and have lunch there. You can also go to the Grove and walk there and have lunch there. Remember L.A. traffic can be bad, specially going to an event. Make sure you allocate more than one hour to get there and find parking. I once went to a game at the Home Depot (I think that's the name) in Carson, and I took 30 minutes JUST to park my car once I had already gotten there.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,032,133 times
Oh, I like HotFudge's idea. The Santa Monica Promenade and pier are perfect, very quintessentially LA, and you get your beach time too. It can take a while to park there too, just so you know.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:59 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,314,126 times
Venice Boardwalk.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:56 AM

12 posts, read 53,450 times
Thanks for the advice! Santa Monica sounds fun! So does Hollywood Blvd. How far is hollywood blvd from dodger stadium?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,068,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Id do the Getty.
That's what I'd do. If you still have time, you can wander around Westwood Village as well. Both are near UCLA.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,100,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_fresno View Post
How far is hollywood blvd from dodger stadium?
actual mileage isn't that far, maybe 5 miles or so, but actual driving time is a completely different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles