Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 PM

143 posts, read 413,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I go there all the time and it is considerably less than 2/3 Latino. For those who don't like it, Thank you for the display of snobbery LA should be famous for. Just because a mall is in a Black neighborhood doesn't make it less "nicer" than the Malls in the White areas.
Thank You For Your Intake And Letting me Know There Are Alot Of Snoby People In LA Im Sure i Can Get Used To Ignorant Ppl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM

143 posts, read 413,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyZeus View Post
The Baldwin Hills/Crenshaw Plaza is nice in itself, is surrounded by nice predominately black neighborhoods and definitely could use further renovation and redevelopment since it has a lot of potential (they really need to run that Wal-Mart out of there, IMO. It brings down the character of the neighborhood and I can think of a billion other things you can do with that space.)

As far as the Latino presence there, the shopping populace is NOT 2/3rds Latino... it's far less then that. (They're there though, although you can say that they're EVERYWHERE in L.A. these days...)
Thanks Man..I Can't Wait To Check It Out When I Move To LA

Old 09-22-2008, 01:16 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Quote:
(they really need to run that Wal-Mart out of there, IMO. It brings down the character of the neighborhood and I can think of a billion other things you can do with that space.)
Guarantee you won't see that anytime soon. Wal-Mart typically signs VERY long leases, and they don't have any alternatives places they can put a store in the LA urban area. They are there to stay.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:19 AM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
yeah, the security fence around it is a big turn-off.

Agreed. But I've been to a few events that I enjoyed there... the African film festival for one.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:20 AM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
The Baldwin Hills/Crenshaw Plaza is nice in itself, is surrounded by nice predominately black neighborhoods and definitely could use further renovation and redevelopment since it has a lot of potential (they really need to run that Wal-Mart out of there, IMO. It brings down the character of the neighborhood and I can think of a billion other things you can do with that space.)

As far as the Latino presence there, the shopping populace is NOT 2/3rds Latino... it's far less then that. (They're there though, although you can say that they're EVERYWHERE in L.A. these days...)
Well, ok, maybe my 2/3rds Latino was too high but the mall certainly isn't all black anymore.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,534 times
Wal-mart is there to stay. So for all of those who do not like it, tough luck and get over it!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,534 times
Honestly, this store actually has discussed me for a very long time. I have always hated going in this store. However, recently it seems like something different is going on. I've noticed there are a few new managers and they seem to be getting rid of all the dead weight and poor customer service. I'm excited to see if they can maintain their momentum. Let's give these guys a chance.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyaman View Post
Honestly, this store actually has discussed me for a very long time. I have always hated going in this store. However, recently it seems like something different is going on. I've noticed there are a few new managers and they seem to be getting rid of all the dead weight and poor customer service. I'm excited to see if they can maintain their momentum. Let's give these guys a chance.
I hope you're right. The last time I was in that store I vowed never to return. That was the filthiest, nastiest, most poorly stocked, unkempt store I have ever been in...EVER. Don't even get me started on the people working there. Totally unprofessional...barely any customer service skills, and that's being generous.

Don't get me wrong...I'm no snob by any stretch of the imagination. I'm from South Central and will alway regard it as home, even though I haven't lived there in several years. A good number of my family is still there, and there are a lot of things I love about going back home to the 'hood, so I'm not looking down my nose. But damn! Why couldn't the management make sure the place was at least reasonably clean, and that the merchandise on the shelves was something that reflected at least an effort at organization.

One of the problems with that store is the layout. They tried to cram 10 pounds of sugar into a 7 pound bag. The aisles are much too narrow, and whose ideas was it to try to use the escalators like that? They should have located in a large, single-story building.

On the other hand, my last two visits to Magic Johnson's theater put a smile on my face. Young black kids who were courteous, helpful, professional (they had obviously had some customer service training and common sense). And the customers respected the place, just like Magic asked them to when it first opened.

So, I really hope you are right about the prospect of improvement at that Wal-Mart, and I am truly rooting for a successful turnaround. In fact, now that you've posted this, I'll make it a point to drop in there to see how things are going on my next visit home. (Right after I go to Fatburger!) I love it when we do things the right way. I hope we can add Wal-Mart to that list.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
It a very nice newly remodeled two story Mall on the corner of Crenshaw and King it's on both sides of the King Blvd. It was declared an historic landmark in the late 1990's. It has a Wal-Mart, Sears, Robinsons-May, TJ Maxx, FYE, Disney Store (coming), Radio Shack, Magic Johnson Theatres, and more. And it has wall-to-wall Black people. Considering it is surrounded by five Black neighborhoods (the good: Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park, Buckingham and Angeles Heights, the bad: the Jungle) that's understandable.

Happy Shopping!
It was declared a landmark? Well it was a priority target and well guarded during the Rodney King riots. Maybe the old outdoor shopping center which it replaced just before mall builders started building outdoor malls again could have been seen as a landmark but that only survives in the Wal-Mart and Macy's very old department store buildings.

Especially since Culver City expanded the Fox Hills now Culver City Mall 10 minutes away besides the Black cultural shops and free parking for the movie theatre there is little reason to make a special trip to the Crenshaw Mall. Especially now with the train construction on delaying traffic on Crenshaw

Old 09-15-2014, 05:29 AM

311 posts, read 492,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
I hate that designation "the jungle".

And 'south central' is now 2/3rds latino. If you got to the Crenshaw mall these days the customers are about 2/3rds Latino.
The Baldwin Hills-Crenshaw-Leimert Park area is still majority black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles