Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 41,053 times

Advertisements

My car in the parking garage of my apt. building was broken into almost a month ago. Right away, I let the onsite managers know about it. There are several surveillance cameras in the building. It took DAYS before I could even view the footage, as out of 3 management people with access to the cameras, only 1 even knows how to use the system and she was away on personal business. There is good footage on at least 3 cameras of the perpetrators (they apparently don't live in the building and got in somehow). I've filed a police report and want to get them a disk of this footage. About $400 worth of stuff was stolen -- not a huge deal, but at least I want to do what I can to get these thugs.

The onsite managers haven't gotten me a CD because "they don't know how to make copies." They FINALLY, after 3 weeks, got a tenant from the building to help burn a disk, and I get it and watch it just now, and there's practically NOTHING usable on it. There's a specific shot I asked for (the thugs in the elevator before they went into the garage -- good shots of their faces), and all I get on the disk is an EMPTY elevator shot -- no one in the elevator. Obviously, I want them to redo it, but this will be at least the third time (the first time, there was only partial footage from the garage camera).

For a couple of weeks, the managers even asked me if I could look at the instructions and burn the disk -- like I don't have a job and things to do meanwhile. Should that be my job?? Shouldn't they do their job?? The police detective seemed incredulous when I told him the managers didn't know how to copy the footage.

My questions: Am I being unreasonable in wanting a copy of this footage? Are they required to give it to me? (I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to get a disk with the correct footage.) Can I hold the management co. liable/accountable for anything for failing to get me this, and in a timely manner? This has been going on for almost a month, and it's very frustrating ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM

240 posts, read 888,848 times
I don't think you're being unreasonable, but unless there's something in your lease that says they'll give you a copy of the surveillance video, there's nothing that obligates them to do so.

What part of town are you in?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:08 AM

I'm in Hollywood.

Seems to me if they're not "obligated" to give me the tape, they should at least ethically do so. Aren't they hindering a police investigation by not providing a tape?

It burns me up that if it was their car that was broken into, they would have gotten this done a long time ago.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:13 AM

51 posts, read 271,474 times
wow...what's the point of them even having cameras and security then?

seriously...

Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 AM

240 posts, read 888,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimetoBuy? View Post
Aren't they hindering a police investigation by not providing a tape?
That would be for the police to decide.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I do understand your frustration.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,347,992 times
Quote:
Aren't they hindering a police investigation by not providing a tape?
Not unless the police asked them for the tape. Which begs the question, why haven't they? (rhetorical question. Your car theft isn't top priority, which is why you have to be proactive)

A copy of partial footage won't hold up as evidence anyway. The police need the complete, untampered original tape, in case they do catch the guys.

Since the managers asked you to do it yourself, say "ok, give me the tapes and I will." Then take the tapes to the police. Problem solved.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 AM

There are no "tapes," so to speak. It's all digital. So apparently everything is on a hard drive and can be saved indefinitely. One manager told me, "Tell the police they're welcome to come down here anytime and look at it." I told them the police wanted a copy, or maybe they could just come down and take the whole hard drive.

They didn't seem to think that was funny.

Tomorrow I will once again ask them for the correct footage as well as ask the detective to call them and ask them for it. The detective did leave them a message last week, but he never followed up, so they pretty much ignored him. I've been bugging them about it just about every day.

These onsite managers have bosses at a big mgmt. co. that they work for. I'm about to call and complain to them (and tell them to train their workers better), but as I'm trying to stay on good terms with the onsite managers I haven't yet resorted to that. Not that it would help.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,347,992 times
Quote:
It made me chuckle.

I wouldn't tick them off until I got the footage..... and I'd go in there and copy the footage myself, asap. If you wait for them, it may disappear or the computer may crash or some other such nonsense.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:56 AM

488 posts, read 1,512,768 times
Quote:
There are no "tapes," so to speak. It's all digital. So apparently everything is on a hard drive and can be saved indefinitely. One manager told me, "Tell the police they're welcome to come down here anytime and look at it." I told them the police wanted a copy, or maybe they could just come down and take the whole hard drive.

Tomorrow I will once again ask them for the correct footage as well as ask the detective to call them and ask them for it. The detective did leave them a message last week, but he never followed up, so they pretty much ignored him. I've been bugging them about it just about every day.

These onsite managers have bosses at a big mgmt. co. that they work for. I'm about to call and complain to them (and tell them to train their workers better), but as I'm trying to stay on good terms with the onsite managers I haven't yet resorted to that. Not that it would help.
If I had access to this evidence I would try to do it myself. You are the only one who sees this as a priority (sadly). However, I would weigh the possible positives of bringing the perpetrators to justice against the obvious stress and negative energy involved in such pursuit.

Last edited by msnorman67; 09-22-2008 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: three letters

Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
If I had access to this evidence I would try to do it myself. You are the only one who sees this as a priority (sadly). However, I would weigh the possible positives of bringing the perpetrators to justice against the obvious stress and negative energy involved in such pursuit.
I agree.

It doesn't sound to me like they aren't cooperating, they simply don't have the skills to help you. If it's that serious then you need to a) burn the cd yourself or b) find someone who knows how to burn the cd. I have a sna=eaking suspicion thst you are annoying the front office and the longer they have to deal with this, the less interested they are going to be.

If you insist on them making the copy, file a claim with the building's insurance company and then get a copy from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles