Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 AM

1 posts, read 8,249 times

Advertisements

I am new to California and I wonder where the Chinese communities are. I have learned that Arcadia, San Gabriel, San Marino have the most concentrated Chinese population. I wonder if the Census can show the Chinese neighborhood by zip codes? and give out percentage or total population count?

Grace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 AM

43 posts, read 168,046 times
Rowland Heights, Hacienda Heights, City Of Industry, Rosemead

Old 09-28-2008, 07:21 AM

689 posts, read 2,571,655 times
Monterey Park is probably the most "Chinese" city in the area. Lots of Chinese businesses and people along Valley Boulevard between Alhambra and El Monte. There is alos Chinatown, but that's more of the historic Chinese area. Monterey Park is sometimes referred to as the New Chinatown.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
You could check out the Census data and use the %Asian theme:

Tiger Map Server Browser

Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM

72,311 posts, read 18,146,883 times
91754,91802, hacienda heights,rowland heights,walnut,diamond bar,san marino,arcadia,rosemead,temple city,san gabriel.

I have something interesting here. if you want to take a look.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ino-hills.html

Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 AM

938 posts, read 4,080,097 times
Alhambra, Arcadia, Diamond Bar, Hacienda Heights, Monterey Park,Rowland Heights,San Marino,South Pasadena and Walnut...

SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - Cosmopolitan Los Angeles - Multicultural Topics

Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,980,835 times
Hi Grace and welcome to California! I am an ABC and grew up in Los Angeles County so I can definitely help you out with that info.

Los Angeles County actually has a few “Chinatowns”. The oldest is in the city of Los Angeles which is probably not a place you would want to live now because it is pretty run down and urban—not a place to raise a family or look for a high quality of life. It is mostly a commercial/industrial area and tourist attraction.

The newer Chinatown is in the San Gabriel Valley. For Los Angeles, this region has the highest percentage of Chinese/Asians and is widely known as a destination for many immigrants from Asia. This area is moderately urban mixing older residential communties with retail amenties. Chinese populated cities which comprise the San Gabriel Valley are:

Monterey Park (many consider this the most Chinese)
Alhambra
San Gabriel
Rosemead
Temple City
Arcadia (the second most desirable to live for Chinese in this area)
San Marino (arguably the most desirable city to live for Chinese in this area)
South Pasadena
Pasadena

Another Chinese/Asian settlement is in an area further east and south of the San Gabriel Valley. (Some people may consider this also part of the San Gabriel Valley, but it is about 17 miles away.)
The cities which comprise this area are:

Rowland Heights (has the most amount of Chinese stores, restaurants in this area and many Chinese live here in the newer development gated communities in the hills)
Hacienda Heights
Diamond Bar
Walnut
Phillips Ranch
Chino Hills

There are also some more Chinese scattered around in smaller communities in cities such as:

Covina
West Covina (notably the South Hills community)

Orange County also has a prevalent and affluent Chinese community in the city of Irvine. More recently, it has become a very desirable area for Chinese to move to and it has been known that wealthy immigrants from China have been paying cash in full for the expensive homes there. It is a newer development, master-planned community consisting of tract homes and has very good schools.

You can look up zip codes by city name by visiting this website: Zip Express - Lookup Zip Codes by City
It's very easy to use-- just enter in the city name and select the state.

For information about population percentages of Chinese in a city, you can use Wikipedia.org and look up the name of the city. It will give you more information about that particular city and should also give you population statistics. Note: It may not show you the % of just Chinese, but rather show you the % for all Asians.

The U.S. Census Bureau probably has all that information, but if you haven't been able to easily find it on their site, you may have to place an order for that data from them.

I hope that helps you and please private message me if you have more questions. I'd be happy to help!

Last edited by mini_cute; 09-28-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Great job,mini-cute! so thorough!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:13 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,563,156 times
You don't need zip codes [just find out where the slowest drivers are & you know the neighborhood is Asian! just kidding not!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You don't need zip codes [just find out where the slowest drivers are & you know the neighborhood is Asian! just kidding not!
LOL! how funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles