U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM

26 posts, read 65,897 times
Default Santa Barbara

Does someone live in Santa Barbara?
I would like to know if it's a "safe" city and if the buses and trains work good or not. Maybe I will go there for 5 months more or less to study and I would like to know it it's a good place for it.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-29-2008, 02:44 PM

419 posts, read 837,883 times
Quote:
if the buses and trains work good or not.
The buses and trains work well, yes. You aren't by any chance studying grammar, are you?

Unread 09-30-2008, 02:14 AM

2,654 posts, read 6,666,151 times
Santa Barbara is generally safe, though it is plagued by a high population of homeless and gangs -- not severe, but not without occasional troubles either. The city is connected to the outside world with several daily Amtrak trains and express buses to north SB County and Ventura County. The in-town bus system is pretty good but offers limited schedules during the evening and on weekends. It used to be the case that your student ID with SBCC or UCSB granted you free rides on the buses system wide. Not sure if it's still the case. Bicycling is also a good way to get around SB.

:: Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition ::
Traffic Solutions
MTD Santa Barbara

Unread 09-30-2008, 03:57 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,483,236 times
SB is clean and quiet. The homeless are long established and the "gangs" are no more than groups of taggers who dabble in smalltime crime occasionally get rowdy with one another.

The buses are terrible as the hours and lines are limited. Great train service runs through SB. My sister just got a car again because she can't rely on the buses to get to work (there aren't any going where she goes during the hours she needs to travel).

Unread 09-30-2008, 07:00 AM

26 posts, read 65,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
The buses and trains work well, yes. You aren't by any chance studying grammar, are you?
What do you mean? I'm Spanish, sorry if there's some mistake..

Unread 03-05-2009, 09:53 PM

23 posts, read 59,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose22 View Post
Does someone live in Santa Barbara?
I would like to know if it's a "safe" city and if the buses and trains work good or not. Maybe I will go there for 5 months more or less to study and I would like to know it it's a good place for it.

Thanks all!
What do you mean "trains?" there are none the place has great schools and for 5 months it can be a nice change. Expensive though. It is safe as far as I know.

Unread 03-06-2009, 11:06 AM

208 posts, read 307,012 times
Quote:
Wiseguy!

Unread 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM

9,500 posts, read 11,419,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mici_angora View Post
What do you mean "trains?" there are none the place has great schools and for 5 months it can be a nice change. Expensive though. It is safe as far as I know.
I see the AmTrack Everyday. As far as I know it is a train.

Unread 03-11-2009, 09:19 PM

2,654 posts, read 6,666,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I see the AmTrack Everyday. As far as I know it is a train.
Oh, that big, honking, blue and silver accordion thing? That's a train? So in that case there are a dozen stopping in Santa Barbara every day!

Unread 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM

9,500 posts, read 11,419,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Oh, that big, honking, blue and silver accordion thing? That's a train? So in that case there are a dozen stopping in Santa Barbara every day!
LOL, As far as I know the OP wanted to know about busses and trains. I see the amtrack everyday. It is a train isn't it? My thought was the OP wanted something that moves people from point A to point B. I know you can take the Amtrack Californian all over the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles