Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
Trust me, i'm with you guys. I may be the only person in this 1000+ person company that has interviewed in the last 2 years with a tie. Then again, I got the job.

But when your interviewer is wearing shorts, a suit and tie may be intimidating.

How's this: ASK.
no, it won't, because chances are your interviewer wore a suit and tie to get the job as your interviewer. (and sorry, but if someone called me to ask what they should wear to an interview with me, i would cancel the interview.)

about the shorts: i worked in a company where everyone from the CEO down wore shorts and flip-flops. i wore suits to my interviews and got the job. the guy i interviewed who showed up in chinos and a polo shirt, telling us how "stoked" he was that our corporate culture was so relaxed had his interview cut short.

please don't underestimate how much professional attire and conduct matter during the interview process, even if you'll never wear it again once you land the gig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 PM

419 posts, read 1,449,942 times
kate: what industry do you work in?

secondly, you should seriously check out the mountains of research being done on the so-called "millenial" generation. my brother is in a big 4 firm - the kids interviewing there aren't wearing suits.

cultures are simply changing, and you may end up not getting first rate talent but first rate fashion by being so hard headed about your hiring preferences. if you would deny an interview with someone who asked simply "what is the appropriate interview attire at your company", you are showing an inflexibility to someone who is merely doing their best to adapt to the host company's culture.

again, I'm the guy who always shows up in a tie.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
kate: what industry do you work in?

secondly, you should seriously check out the mountains of research being done on the so-called "millenial" generation. my brother is in a big 4 firm - the kids interviewing there aren't wearing suits.

cultures are simply changing, and you may end up not getting first rate talent but first rate fashion by being so hard headed about your hiring preferences. if you would deny an interview with someone who asked simply "what is the appropriate interview attire at your company", you are showing an inflexibility to someone who is merely doing their best to adapt to the host company's culture.

again, I'm the guy who always shows up in a tie.

funny how you advocate flying in the face of tradition...for other people. you, too, know who gets the job.

my "millenial" brother who works in IT (where 'business-casual' was born), wears suits to his interviews. he understands that his peers who are trying to buck tradition are pissing off their bosses. (btw, this is the same generation that is developing a reputation for having their parents fight their workplace battles. i'm not sure i would consider them to be great examples of how to make a good impression.)

Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 PM

kate:

is it tradition to wear shorts in the workplace?

is it tradition to meet at a coffee house for an interview?

is it tradition to have a 3-4 page resume?

is it tradition to offer benefits to a domestic partner?

is it tradition to have a facebook page and to have the interviewer/interviewee look at that page?

is it tradition to send a handwritten follow up or would an email suffice?

traditions are changing. like I said, don't wear a tux to an interview. I am in IT. I recently hired a spot that was terribly difficult to fill - required niche skills and the like. I was offering $10k over market ($100k job + bonus and awesome benefits). I had 20+ folks interview for it, and the guy with the chops to get it done showed up in a dress shirt and slacks - no tie, no jacket. he sent no follow up emails. he was informal. he didn't even show up with a pad and pencil. he was casual/cool to the point of appearing disinterested in the job. but he was perfect in every other way. I went to HR, they said "what's the big deal? they're all like that - it's how kids are" (note: this individual is 30ish with 10+ years experience, 2 degrees, stellar references).

Long story short, I hired him and he has worked out beyond our wildest expectations, taking that area of applications to the next level over the past year.

now, should I have passed on him? in any other environment, yes, in a heartbeat. but after 6 months of having a vacant office in my department, I came to realize what so many others realize: cultures are simply changing.

the question is how will firms attract and retain top talent?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
i work for an accounting firm that deals heavily with entertainment. although i did wear a suit to my interview here, i know many people who didn't and were still hired. my wife had an informal interview at a coffee shop with her previous employer and was hired even though she wasn't wearing a suit. the company did marketing for the entertainment industry.

personally, i would still go with the suit, but if that isn't your thing, i doubt it will matter too much if you are a qualified candidate.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
kate:

is it tradition to wear shorts in the workplace?

is it tradition to meet at a coffee house for an interview?

is it tradition to have a 3-4 page resume?

is it tradition to offer benefits to a domestic partner?

is it tradition to have a facebook page and to have the interviewer/interviewee look at that page?

is it tradition to send a handwritten follow up or would an email suffice?

traditions are changing. like I said, don't wear a tux to an interview. I am in IT. I recently hired a spot that was terribly difficult to fill - required niche skills and the like. I was offering $10k over market ($100k job + bonus and awesome benefits). I had 20+ folks interview for it, and the guy with the chops to get it done showed up in a dress shirt and slacks - no tie, no jacket. he sent no follow up emails. he was informal. he didn't even show up with a pad and pencil. he was casual/cool to the point of appearing disinterested in the job. but he was perfect in every other way. I went to HR, they said "what's the big deal? they're all like that - it's how kids are" (note: this individual is 30ish with 10+ years experience).

Long story short, I hired him and he has worked out beyond our wildest expectations, taking that area of applications to the next level over the past year.

now, should I have passed on him? in any other environment, yes, in a heartbeat. but after 6 months of having a vacant office in my department, I came to realize what so many others realize: cultures are simply changing.

the question is how will firms attract and retain top talent?
would you have hesitated to hire him had he conformed? that's my point. why give a potential employer an excuse to think twice before hiring you?

i'm not sure what your questions are meant to indicate. i never suggested that any of those practices were traditional. they aren't, and with the exception of domestic partner benefits (which is a matter of company policy) i would welcome none of them...especially that excessively long resume.

btw, i never wore shorts to work, although i could have. why? i don't believe they are appropriate, despite what the "culture" allowed. my personal standards are important as well. i still use personal business stationery, too.

(giving knoxtown his thread back now.)

Last edited by katenik; 09-30-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 04:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
would you have hesitated to hire him had he conformed? that's my point. why give a potential employer an excuse to think twice before hiring you?

i'm not sure what your questions are meant to indicate. i never suggested that any of those practices were traditional. they aren't, and with the exception of domestic partner benefits (which is a matter of company policy) i would welcome none of them...especially that excessively long resume.

btw, i never wore shorts to work, although i could have. why? i don't believe they are appropriate, despite what the "culture" allowed. my personal standards are important as well. i still use personal business stationery, too.

(giving knoxtown his thread back now.)
Thanks for hanging on to it while i was gone

Just to let you all know, I just got back from the interview. I wore a suit, white shirt, and blue tie... talk about overdressed. She showed up in booty shorts, and red tshirt, and a cap on Anyways, I figured it would be weird, but she complemented me on my attire first thing off, which must be good. We had an hour long interview, and I left... All things are good!

Thanks everyone for helping me out.!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post

Just to let you all know, I just got back from the interview. I wore a suit, white shirt, and blue tie... talk about overdressed. She showed up in booty shorts, and red tshirt, and a cap on Anyways, I figured it would be weird, but she complemented me on my attire first thing off, which must be good. We had an hour long interview, and I left... All things are good!

good for you.

good luck going forward.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post

Booty shorts... what sort of entertainment are we talking about?

BTW Katenik: 1 page resumes in IT are sooo 1989. Give me detail. Ask your brother...

Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,905 times
Quote:
Booty shorts... what sort of entertainment are we talking about?

BTW Katenik: 1 page resumes in IT are sooo 1989. Give me detail. Ask your brother...
I'm not complaining. Anways, she explained that she was working from home that day, which is why the location was moved. It was all good though, she was really cool, and we actually had a good conversation about the South(I'm from TN and she is from Virginia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles