U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

People fleeing megacities in 21st century, Los Angeles not only city with high cost of living, low wages, bad economic condition, terrible traffic, high home prices

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-06-2008, 09:55 PM

11,550 posts, read 11,668,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I've been saying this since I joined this forum. Some move away and send us pictures of the boonies telling us how much better it is (vomits a little in my mouth). Of all the ones I've seen move away on this board, only ONE moved to another large city. He was a New Yorker and moved back to Manhattan and I can totally respect that, Manhattan rocks. Of the others, they all left for much smaller places.

I need the city and everything that comes with it. I have no interest in the boonies which includes large towns with tall office buildings in the center.
San Fran isn't exactly Small Town USA....

That said, being 500 miles north has made me appreciative of the good aspects of L.A. even though S.F. has many good aspects L.A. doesn't have (transportation, cultural infrastructure, better bar culture, and better attitudes,and better Italian food being the chief ones.) OTOH it has many of the same problems (homelessness, gangs, crime, political dysfunction, an increasing lack of freedom, horrible public schools, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-11-2011, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 437 times
Default Great Point- We need to create a Greater LA

Thanks Matt, I completely agree with your observations.

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]How fantastical would it be to imagine a Los Angeles in which Pasadena, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Inglewood, and Long Beach were incorporated as “neighborhoods,” or “sections,“ like Woodlawn, Long Island City, and Richmond Heights were 125 years ago in New York? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]If Los Angeles incorporated all of these places, it could solve its transportation woes, and it would have a population greater than New York City, and it might become the greatest city in the country and the world. I believe that someday this could happen, with enough popular will and political leadership. At present, the residents of these indepenent cities and towns within LA are inconsiderate of greater LA as a whole and are stunting its growth and betterment like quarreling little schoolchildren.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I agree that some people clearly just aren't right for megacity life. And that's fine. But don't be so surprised that there are those of us who love living in cities like LA or NYC. As someone who moved here from DC, I hear the same complaints about LA that I heard back home. The traffic, the pollution, the immigrants, overcrowding, expensive cost of living, flaky people...it's almost the exact same thing.

I've noticed that some people here live in a metro area of 10 million, yet act all surprised when life isn't as quiet and serene as a small midwestern town. And then there are those who live right in the middle of LA, yet expect it to be a 1950's suburban utopia. They complain about the "evil developers" building apartments/condos, yet totally ignore the fact that LA's population is still growing and we need to put these people somewhere...and we have totally run out of land to build upon. Can't build out anymore. There is no choice but to build up.

LA's no longer the quiet suburbia it marketed itself as in the 1950's. It's a world city of millions, and people need to recognize that they live in a big city, not a suburb or small town.

Unread 06-12-2011, 08:15 PM

240 posts, read 269,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I've been reading this forum for quite a while, and, largely, it is depressing. One would get the impression that LA is hell on earth, and that people are fleeing.

So, out of curiosity, I've spent the last week or so reading the forums (fora?) of the other major cities in the US, and I've found that every large city's forum is very similar: traffic, schools, cost of living, can't get ahead, need to be rich to make life livable, yadda yadda.

I'm oddly reassured.

A hypothesis: many (most?) people just aren't cut out for 21st century megacity life. Many people shouldn't try to live in the megacities and should instead try to find a smaller communities that are a better fit.

LA has its problems, but, it is not a unique in having problems.
Mega-city life is unnatural and destructive for a human being. Our bodies and sensory systems weren't made for that stuff and for the extreme over-crowding.

Unread 06-12-2011, 08:34 PM

62 posts, read 52,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I've been reading this forum for quite a while, and, largely, it is depressing. One would get the impression that LA is hell on earth, and that people are fleeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
It's a shared trait as humans that we tend to externalize our problems and focus on the environment as the reason for our ills. In fact, our problems follow us around no matter how seemingly utopian a move may be.
So spot on. When I was researching my family's move, this board made LA sound horrific. I decided the negative posters we're just unhappy folks barking loudly for the world to hear. (Why else would you lurk in a forum about a city you loathe.....)

We just hit the six month mark on our move and couldn't be happier. I absolutely love this city and never want to leave. (And thats saying a lot given how much I liked where we were in Chicago.)

It can't be posted enough - If you're a reader contemplating a move here, tune out all the negativity and know which posters to ignore. Oh yeah, and make darn sure you have a manageable commute.

Unread 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM

4,944 posts, read 9,203,299 times
FYI, this thread is over 2 1/2 years old. Just sayin'...

Unread 12-17-2013, 01:54 PM

223 posts, read 87,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
San Fran isn't exactly Small Town USA....

That said, being 500 miles north has made me appreciative of the good aspects of L.A. even though S.F. has many good aspects L.A. doesn't have (transportation, cultural infrastructure, better bar culture, and better attitudes,and better Italian food being the chief ones.) OTOH it has many of the same problems (homelessness, gangs, crime, political dysfunction, an increasing lack of freedom, horrible public schools, etc.)
Cultural infrastructure, really?

Otherwise I agree.

Unread 12-17-2013, 02:11 PM

3,240 posts, read 1,515,137 times
Yeah I don't get that one either!..

Better bar culture....one could argue about that . I don't think bars in L.A are lacking in variety , especially in areas like DTLA you have new bars opening pretty much every day. I still haven't been to a fraction of the bars I've been wanting to go to.

Unread 12-17-2013, 02:17 PM

851 posts, read 557,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
if i could find some boonie town with a mediterranean climate, reasonably fashionable shopping and eclectic dining, and one or two well-stocked specialty food markets, i'd be there yesterday. everything else i need, i can get on the internet.
San Luis Obispo?

Unread 12-17-2013, 02:47 PM

100 posts, read 41,828 times
Yes, With forums like these it does tend to only bring out the people that are really unhappy with they're city and the positive people seem to be few and far between.

When I moved to Miami Beach for a year before coming to LA I was already a member on this forum and after browsing all the negative crap on the Miami forum I declined against even posting my own thread asking for opinions about my move to Miami, so I just tried it out for myself and although Miami wasn't for me it wasn't really for the reasons everyone complained about and all the bad things people had to say I found way exaggerated.

Now that I live in LA I'm pretty happy, but again YMMV some people are only happy in a small town where as I would probably want to just die lol so city life is definitely for me.

Unread 12-17-2013, 07:20 PM

223 posts, read 87,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Cultural infrastructure, really?

Otherwise I agree.
ETA: From my visits to SF I do think that in at least one aspect majoun is right about the cultural infrastructure. What I like to call the vernacular culture of SF--the sum of all the little choices people make like what color they paint their houses or what they display in their windows--is far ahead of L.A. It always has been and probably always will be, at least if we're comparing the two cities as a whole, rather than cherry picking districts and neighborhoods in them. SF's generally more pedestrian-oriented layout encourages this because when you walk you notice your immediate surroundings much more than when you drive. (When you drive, you have to watch the road, obviously, but specifically you mostly have to focus on a spot some distance ahead of you in order to anticipate upcoming hazards. This is why billboards are so effective as an advertising medium.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles