Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 23,278 times

Advertisements

Hi I was just looking for input about everything you know about raising kids in Beverly Hills, what it would be like for them to grow up there, etc., and if the community would be accepting of a gay couple raising kids.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl2023 View Post
Hi I was just looking for input about everything you know about raising kids in Beverly Hills, what it would be like for them to grow up there, etc., and if the community would be accepting of a gay couple raising kids.

Thanks!
Well no offense to you. I support you 100%. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. However, I would never chose Beverly Hills. I don't know. The Beverly Hills area seems to be a life for the rich and famous and I don't desire living next to glam all the time. I like diversity you know. If I had to chose Los Angeles I would look more towards Burbank or Brentwood. Actually I would chose an entirely different city. Los Angeles could never be the place for my future kids. There's alot of gang influence and I couldn't stand for it. Some people might comdemn me for saying that but it's the truth. If you don't go to school with these people you would never know. I think Los Angeles is more of an adult/college-oriented city. However there are families who have lived there for years so what do I know? I'm just saying for me...no. I couldn't support it anyway. You have to be making good money for that.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:03 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The Beverly Hills area seems to be a life for the rich and famous and I don't desire living next to glam all the time.
You're saying Persians are unusually glamorous?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,563 times
LA region is a difficult place to raise kids b/c education/IQ levels among affluent parents are arguably lowest vs its peer regions....NYC, SF and Chic...

That said, BevHills (N of Sunset) and Brentwood seem to attract many of LA's most intelligent/affluent families (typically those not involved in media/entertainment industry)...

And would argue kids who are raised by parents who care to be responsible parents (and not blame schools or whatever for their own weak DNA and/or poor family planning) will turn out fine in most upper middle class/affluent settings anywhere in US...

Old 10-03-2008, 10:31 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,684 times
Just watch the new season of 90210. Everything in that show is 100% true. ;-)

Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,894 times
This is LA. It's a very multicultural city populated with people who are fairly accepting of diversity. People here, especially in the affluent, progressive, liberal Westside communities, like Beverly Hills, are not going to point their nose up at a gay couple raising children, especially if you're rich. For better or worse, LA is also a very materialistic city and the richer you are, the more status you are afforded and people simply won't care about how you live your life. As long as you are law abiding and respect your neighbors you and your children will be fine in Beverly Hills. They'll be exposed to the good and bad that goes along with living in a big city, urban evironment like LA, but Beverly Hills is a relatively clean and safe oasis in the middle of it all with an excellent public school system.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:54 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
BH has top schools and it's a nice place to raise a family, or many consider it to be so. Personally I'd choose quite a few areas over BH but it's all about personal preference.

As far as a gay couple raising a kid, it's pretty common now. We're on the East Side and we have no problems.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:35 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
BH has top schools and it's a nice place to raise a family, or many consider it to be so. Personally I'd choose quite a few areas over BH but it's all about personal preference.

As far as a gay couple raising a kid, it's pretty common now. We're on the East Side and we have no problems.

I would not say it is common, but I dont see any problems. Honestly I would consider West Hollywood. There are a ton of gay people in West Hollywood and I actually like it more than Beverly Hills. Do not like the people there...

Old 10-05-2008, 09:48 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
We even have a gay couple with a kid they adopted down our street here in South Orange County. Remember, this is Bible hugging conservative southern Orange County! They are nice enough and like living here even though they get some odd looks. As neighbors though, they are great! That particular house has never been in such great shape and they maintain it perfectly. Los Angeles is MUCH MUCH more liberal than my area so you should not have any problem living there as a gay couple. Beverly Hills is a great area to live in my opinion if you can afford it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Just watch the new season of 90210. Everything in that show is 100% true. ;-)
Haha...it's not even filmed there. They are filming almost every school scene at my school--El Segundo High School. I like it...makes me feel important...and they give us their leftover food and drinks for free. I don't know any of the actors though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles