U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:24 PM

17,444 posts, read 25,630,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
we dispose of dead livestock and pets in urban alleys all across this great land? who knew?
Those who hadn't been to much of the "first world". Including but by no means limited to this great land....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
Default Trash on California Highways

What can we do about the amount of trash on the California Highways? I recently drove across country, and found that by and large the highways were litter free and the restrooms were fairly clean. As soon as I drove across the California border, the highways were covered with litter. I find it especially bad on the 118, the 5 and the 405. Interesting that as you drive South on the 405 freeway and get past the LAX turnoffs, the highway is quite nice all the way down to Orange County and beyond. I drive a great deal for my job, and I can assure that some areas are a little better than others. It is disgusting to see so much trash on the side of the road. Why can't we get more work crews from the local jails, or from the youth authorities? Is there any solution to the amount of trash? I think our tolerance for it is beyond the pale, and I believe there are also some cultural differences as well. Is there any one or any place we could write? The San Fernando Valley lovely, but the trash problem is growing daily.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
how much can it possibly cost to have prisoners clean up the highways?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:36 PM

26,345 posts, read 87,003,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboombats View Post
how much can it possibly cost to have prisoners clean up the highways?
I snapped this photo of Madison County Jail dudes picking up trash on 431 between Big Cove and Huntsville Hospital

Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM

1,930 posts, read 1,910,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagan123 View Post
What can we do about the amount of trash on the California Highways? I recently drove across country, and found that by and large the highways were litter free and the restrooms were fairly clean. As soon as I drove across the California border, the highways were covered with litter. I find it especially bad on the 118, the 5 and the 405. Interesting that as you drive South on the 405 freeway and get past the LAX turnoffs, the highway is quite nice all the way down to Orange County and beyond. I drive a great deal for my job, and I can assure that some areas are a little better than others. It is disgusting to see so much trash on the side of the road. Why can't we get more work crews from the local jails, or from the youth authorities? Is there any solution to the amount of trash? I think our tolerance for it is beyond the pale, and I believe there are also some cultural differences as well. Is there any one or any place we could write? The San Fernando Valley lovely, but the trash problem is growing daily.
The OP brought up a good point that's been bugging me for years. I think I contacted CalTrans once, to no avail. I'm on the I-5 right now looking at all this trash and what do I see... all this money spent on the beautification of the artistic block retaining walls and new HOV lane overpass bridge... this is at the I-5 split at the 14. So much money spent on one aspect of beauty, but then if those workers would look down at their feet and see the trash... pick it up for pity sakes.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 AM

4,344 posts, read 8,232,864 times
CALTRANS picks up some. Some is cleaned up by volunteers in the Adopt-a-Highway program. We did it for a year, spending two Saturdays a month cleaning along the 605. Some of what we picked up was intentional litter, but a lot was accidental. One week there were styrofoam peanuts everywhere, one week it was unused black garbage bags, usually there were tire pieces. We always picked up hundreds of plastic grocery bags and plenty of cardboard. After Christmas it was wrapping paper; after Halloween it was candy wrappers. Always plenty of school papers, letters, delivery slips, toys, invoices, fast food trash, and recyclable containers. (We redeemed those.)

Some companies or other organizations adopt part of the highway, then hire someone to actually do the work. Other parts are adopted by groups of adult volunteers. Caltrans provides the equipment and the safety video.

So now you know what you can do.

My best find? A hundred dollar bill.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
CALTRANS picks up some. Some is cleaned up by volunteers in the Adopt-a-Highway program. We did it for a year, spending two Saturdays a month cleaning along the 605. Some of what we picked up was intentional litter, but a lot was accidental. One week there were styrofoam peanuts everywhere, one week it was unused black garbage bags, usually there were tire pieces. We always picked up hundreds of plastic grocery bags and plenty of cardboard. After Christmas it was wrapping paper; after Halloween it was candy wrappers. Always plenty of school papers, letters, delivery slips, toys, invoices, fast food trash, and recyclable containers. (We redeemed those.)

Some companies or other organizations adopt part of the highway, then hire someone to actually do the work. Other parts are adopted by groups of adult volunteers. Caltrans provides the equipment and the safety video.

So now you know what you can do.

My best find? A hundred dollar bill.
My ex-girlfriend worked for CalTrans for a summer co-op job in the 1980s. She worked with full time CalTrans employees out in the field. These guys found all sorts of things on the side of the freeways but they had sort of a running contest: Who could acquire the most women's panties from the side of the road. I think the leader had 11 pairs.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM

6,962 posts, read 10,872,319 times
With so much money Hollywood is pumping out every year (they seem to be recession-free), they could be giving that to the city of Los Angeles and at least clean up the friggin highways and freeways. Or at least the celebs could. I swear they give back more to Africa than their own city! But of course if LA did that, more people would move here and the quality and cost of living would inflate to infinity.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
With so much money Hollywood is pumping out every year (they seem to be recession-free), they could be giving that to the city of Los Angeles and at least clean up the friggin highways and freeways. Or at least the celebs could. I swear they give back more to Africa than their own city! But of course if LA did that, more people would move here and the quality and cost of living would inflate to infinity.

The small amount of trash on the sides of the roads isn't in the top ten problems facing the City of Los Angeles right now.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM

6,962 posts, read 10,872,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The small amount of trash on the sides of the roads isn't in the top ten problems facing the City of Los Angeles right now.
Well it could be a start. That is why LA is not classified as a World-Class city. It's still a Beta. If Schwarznegger only knew what a little cleaning up and green would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles