Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:18 AM

143 posts, read 413,156 times

Advertisements

It's Me Mr_smith Once Again Asking About LA And Hollywood...

I'm From Out Of State {I Currently Live In MD}And Will Be Moving To Hollywood To Attend The Musicians Institute.

I'm 19 Yrs Old,Have Almost Completed My Second yr Of College And I Currently Have A Job.

I Have Asked A Lot Of Question And By the Suggestion From Other Members Of The City-Data Forum i Should Ask Them In A Large Sum So I Have Decided To Do So...

Anyway Down To Business. I Will Be Asking Three Questions In This Topic And Probably Will Ask Many More In The Day's/Week's To Come...

1.Being 19,Do Any Of You Guy's Think That It's to Young To Move Cross Country, Or Would It Be Very Mature To Live On My Own And Make The Move?

2.Is it Easy To Get A Part-time/Full-time Job In Any Store In The Hollywood Area?

3.How Much Money Would You Recommend On Bringing My First Month?
{the School Helps With The Finding A Place Situation..i'm Also Giving A List Of Roommates To Choose From..And I Want Bring Between 3000-5000...Just Till I Find A Job}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 04:22 AM

488 posts, read 1,509,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Smith89 View Post

I'm From Out Of State {I Currently Live In MD}And Will Be Moving To Hollywood To Attend The Musicians Institute.

I'm 19 Yrs Old,Have Almost Completed My Second yr Of College And I Currently Have A Job.

I Have Asked A Lot Of Question And By the Suggestion From Other Members Of The City-Data Forum i Should Ask Them In A Large Sum So I Have Decided To Do So...

Anyway Down To Business. I Will Be Asking Three Questions In This Topic And Probably Will Ask Many More In The Day's/Week's To Come...

1.Being 19,Do Any Of You Guy's Think That It's to Young To Move Cross Country, Or Would It Be Very Mature To Live On My Own And Make The Move?

2.Is it Easy To Get A Part-time/Full-time Job In Any Store In The Hollywood Area?

{the School Helps With The Finding A Place Situation..i'm Also Giving A List Of Roommates To Choose From..And I Want Bring Between 3000-5000...Just Till I Find A Job}
My opinions based on my experience.

1. Hell yeah, your legal at 18, do what you want.

2. I found work within a month but have been told that was unusual.

3. I came here owing gas money and I'm doing fine but have been told that was unusual. You could get a place with a room-mate for at least three months on that money with plenty left over.

I'm not talking recommended financial planning here, I'm talking about adventure. Yeah, bad stuff can happen but so can good stuff.

Keep a few bucks for a bus ticket back home just in case. I am all for horrendous failure in the pursuit of happiness.

Last edited by msnorman67; 10-08-2008 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: one letter

Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
My opinions based on my experience.

1. Hell yeah, your legal at 18, do what you want.

2. I found work within a month but have been told that was unusual.

3. I came here owing gas money and I'm doing fine but have been told that was unusual. You could get a place with a room-mate for at least three months on that money with plenty left over.

I'm not talking recommended financial planning here, I'm talking about adventure. Yeah, bad stuff can happen but so can good stuff.

Keep a few bucks for a bus ticket back home just in case. I am all for horrendous failure in the pursuit of happiness.
Thanks Man... i Feeling Really Good Now

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 AM

419 posts, read 1,445,862 times
Quote:
From someone who pushed off college for a few years (even argued against it) and eventually went back and earned AA, BA, and MBA degrees, let me strongly emphasize the importance of finishing your education now. At least an AA. You will not regret it, but you might regret not doing it.

I know it sounds like a cliche, but you have a golden opportunity to get it done now without any major responsibilities.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have pushed through and finished - despite my fervent desire to get out there and see the world.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 AM

672 posts, read 2,168,924 times
I do see a lot of stores looking for employees on the westside. Working in a shop or a restaurant doesn't pay very well, but, I think you shouldn't have a problem finding that sort of job. You do need to be "presentable": neat, clean, and respectful.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,408,759 times
Quote:
It's Me Mr_smith Once Again Asking About
1.Being 19,Do Any Of You Guy's Think That It's to Young To Move Cross Country, Or Would It Be Very Mature To Live On My Own And Make The Move? Waiting would be smart.

2.Is it Easy To Get A Part-time/Full-time Job In Any Store In The Hollywood Area? It's not that easy. Lots of unemployment here.

At LEAST 5,000

Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,408,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
From someone who pushed off college for a few years (even argued against it) and eventually went back and earned AA, BA, and MBA degrees, let me strongly emphasize the importance of finishing your education now. At least an AA. You will not regret it, but you might regret not doing it.

I know it sounds like a cliche, but you have a golden opportunity to get it done now without any major responsibilities.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have pushed through and finished - despite my fervent desire to get out there and see the world.
Best advice you will ever get.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post

Thanks I'm Almost Done Getting My AA So I'll Be Fine

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM

77 posts, read 302,824 times
Quote:
Cool, I may have some answers for you.

Quote:
Seems like a good school, they are in top standing with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), so your are off to a good start.

Quote:
Save as much money as you can.

Quote:
Being 19,Do Any Of You Guy's Think That It's to Young To Move Cross Country, Or Would It Be Very Mature To Live On My Own And Make The Move?
You're not too young, just do as much homework as possible before you come to L.A. Try to be as prepared as much as you can before you get here.

Quote:
Apply for jobs before you come to L.A., You never know how long it takes to get a gig. Everything is done online nowadays anyway. Worse comes to worse, try snagajob.com just to get anything to put some cash in your pockets.

Quote:
That's a good start. Get a roommate in the beginning, just so it will be easier to find your way. Most likely your roomey will already have the area cased out for you. Leave most of that loot in the bank for emergencies, if you can. Try to live off your paycheck. L.A. has a tendicy to smell saved money and destroy it.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM

419 posts, read 1,445,862 times
Quote:
Thanks I'm Almost Done Getting My AA So I'll Be Fine
That's a start. Think seriously about a Bachelor's degree...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles