Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Cali?
If you love Cali 89 70.08%
If your Jealous of Cali 12 9.45%
You just hate Cali 27 21.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Why do people always bash on California and L.A. Honestly i been to 28 states and found many reasons to bash on those states but i don't want to because im not jealous of those states. . I read so much BS on these forums. Example Where would you rather Live Arizona or Cali.At the end of the day Arizona wins the poll.That is bs. what do you think why Cali get bashed alot is its because People from other States are jealous or they just Hate us.Or do you love California,And explain Why?
Take it from someone who deals with customers for a living. I deal with customers all over the country, and customers from California are by the most rudest, especially people in Santa Barbara or LA...complete snobs and think they are above everyone else for some reason. When I say snobs I mean it, I am not kidding. I hate it.

Always in a rush to get things completed, yelling, screaming, then I get someone in Virginia who is the kindest person in the world and doesn't mind hearing the word "wait".

Hope that explains why I think CA is crazy..I've never been there..wouldn't want to go there, either. Why should I go there if every person from there I've talked to is completely crazy? They call it the land of the fruits and nuts for a reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 11:34 PM

303 posts, read 845,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I love CA, it's my home and it always will be. BUT on the other hand I cannot deny all of the major quality of life issues it has. Even though my life is not bad and I don't experience many of the negative aspects of the state; I grew up in a great area, went to great schools, never had an issue with crime, etc... I realize many people in the state have had a much difference experience than me. And just all the negative things you hear about like huge budget shortfalls, illegals, pollution, etc.. it can wear on you whether or not you actually experience or see those things first hand. Just knowing you live in a state with so much inequality and problems can get to you.

It does offer a lot too that many other states don't, it's just not a state for everyone anymore. Before it appealed to a lot of people but those days are long gone, too many negative quality of life issues tarnishing this states reputation.

I hope to leave CA for a few years to find out whether it's as overrated as I think it is, worse than I realized, or much better than I appreciated. Many leave and come running back with their tails between their legs and many leave and never come back. The grass is not always greener for some but for others it can be.
I am one of those who left California (though not by choice) and see that the grass is not always greener on the other side. In about a year or so when I get my Respiration Therapy certificate, I am coming home!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
I am one of those who left California (though not by choice) and see that the grass is not always greener on the other side. In about a year or so when I get my Respiration Therapy certificate, I am coming home!

Do you have kids?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 AM

303 posts, read 845,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you have kids?
I don't, and my boyfriend and I don't plan to have any because we don't want to risk having kids with his Ehler's Danlos, my asthma, or Asperger's Syndrome, which both of us have. I'm not sure if I want to adopt, but since we're both pretty much broke we can't do so right now.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:57 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Yes, but Sacramento is in a class by itself
Not really. Sarah Palin charged the state of Alaska $17,000 per diem for staying at home. As you may know, per diem is supposed to be paid for travel expenses ... not staying at home.

I'm not arguing that Sarah Palin is in a class by herself either. I'm just saying that state officials are bad pretty much everywhere.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-13-2008 at 08:12 AM..

Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Off the top of my head I can think of 5 big corporate or division headquarters that have recently left So Cal - Nissan USA, Computer Sciences Corp., Conagra, Lincoln Mercury and Masterfoods. All took hundreds of HIGH PAYING professional & executive jobs with them, not to mention the thousands of solid middle class corporate staff positions as well. Are these the crappy jobs your refering to?
This doesn't tell the whole story and is somewhat misleading. For one thing, a lot of these moves aren't that recent. Mostly during 2005-2006 which, probably not coincidentally, was also the peak of the housing market. You've also got to look at the circumstances because a lot of this has nothing to do with California regulations. To name just a few examples:

Tennessee paid nearly $200 million for Nissan to move 1,300 California jobs there. While Tennessee has cheap labor, cheap housing, etc., Nissan make it clear the tax subsidies were the primary reason they moved there. So at $200 million, that's basically over $150,000 in tax money for each job, and lower paying jobs at that. Even by Tennesee's calculations it's going to take them at least 10 years to get that tax money back.

It's a great deal for Nissan but I'm not sure it's a great deal for the state of Tennessee. And, on the flip side ... I'm not sure that it was such a great loss for the state of California if you've got to subsidize private jobs to that extent with taxpayer money. Even some hard core conservatives might balk at the price tag of $150K per job in tax subsidies ... (unless, of course, they're getting the $200 million themselves).

And sure ... ConAgra moved some jobs from Irvine but, that was also part of a restructuring involving the sale of their frozen foods business ... which happens pretty much anywhere a company division is sold.

CSC was founded in California but they're a federal contractor. Their core business is in the Washington, D.C. area. Hence the reason they moved to Northern Virginia where they could consolidate their core business. I've personally have lived in Northern Virginia and ... believe me ... it's not any cheaper than California. Like many coastal metro areas, it's very expensive. So I don't see how California costs/regulations factored into that one either.

You're probably looking at this from the perspective from what's happening in OC. And OC has probably peaked in terms of job growth. But, the recession notwithstanding, when you look at the state as whole ... the IE, Sacramento and other inland regions have actually gained jobs over the long term ... mostly from the coastal areas.

The migration of jobs from the coastal to inland areas has been much more significant than any jobs that have gone out of state all together. The inland areas are the future job growth areas of the state.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-13-2008 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-13-2008, 10:51 AM

35 posts, read 108,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you have kids?
I'm interested to see where this would have headed, had she said yes.

Slash from Ohio - I have worked in customer service as well, and it's funny that you have had the experience you've had, because I had the exact opposite! People from Texas and Ohio were the absolute rudest people I ever had to deal with on the phone. However - I know people from Texas and Ohio who are some of the nicest coolest people I've ever met.

First of all, you can't judge a culture by customer service. I've done too many service jobs to know better. Secondly, anecdotal evidence isn't objective data. So you had some rude customers from CA, do you know how many people live in CA? 36 million! Do you really think that the entire state is made of people like that based on a few phone calls?

I'd dare say, the people in this state, are the most tolerant and forgiving I've met. If they weren't, the place would be a pit of chaos.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:45 PM

640 posts, read 2,011,682 times
If New England had the weather of Los Angeles with our landscape...that would be perfect. I think a lot of Californians move here for space, greenery, and culture. I think most of the refugees out here are coming from LA and SFO. They want some sophistication, but without the levels of traffic and expense. Its all relative.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
If New England had the weather of Los Angeles with our landscape...that would be perfect. I think a lot of Californians move here for space, greenery, and culture. I think most of the refugees out here are coming from LA and SFO. They want some sophistication, but without the levels of traffic and expense. Its all relative.
But for the same job density (LA, Boston) the cost of living is only slightly better in NE, yet Southern California has the preferred weather. Traffic is bad in Boston too. Not sure I see too many advantages going from a heavily urban area (LA) and all its associated problems with good weather to a heavily urban area (BOS) and all its associated problems with bad weather.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:46 PM

35 posts, read 108,704 times
Hey Charles, I'm curious as to why you were asking if CalGal has kids?

I ask because I was born and raised in Huntsville, AL, but now live in LA. I have a feeling, you are the geographical inverse of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles