Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 AM

24 posts, read 51,981 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Let me tell you my story. I graduated from college in Upstate, NY in August and have been job searching for almost 2 months now. I am interested in relocating to the Los Angeles area after having lived there for a 6 month internship last year. I have applied to over 100 companies, have had a few interviews but always get rejected after making it really far in the process. I have an excellent resume and great accomplishments, yet I am having an extremely difficult time finding employment in California. I understand that the job market may be bad, but I'm looking for insights from people that actually live there. My degree is in Marketing, with a background in technology, entrepreneurship, and communications. I was just turned down from a job on Friday, and I'm feeling "down in the dumps." This is what prompted me to write to all of you to seek advice. Any insight will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
The economy sucks right now. Besides, most companies are looking for people already relocated to the area.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 AM

419 posts, read 1,449,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
The economy sucks right now. Besides, most companies are looking for people already relocated to the area.
Agree with KnoxTown. If an employer has 2 equally qualified candidates, one in NY and another with roots in CA, they will more than likely choose the latter as there is a reduced flight risk. When I see an out-of-state resume, I am immediately turned off by the complexity, expectation for relo assistance, etc. -- it goes to the bottom of the pile. Get a local phone number via Vonage/Voicepulse/etc and an address via PostalAnnex or Mailboxes Etc.

Secondly, folks aren't looking to change jobs right now and companies largely have hiring freezes in effect / no open positions. So no turnover...

What's working for you is that you're flexible on location and industry - if you haven't already, open your search up wider. Submitting resumes over the internet is a crap shoot on both ends. Most jobs - even today - are filled via recruiters or referrals. You need an inside track. Plan a 2 week trip on site just to meet with recruiters (inside/HR and outside firms). The trip will pay for itself.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 AM

24 posts, read 51,981 times
Thanks for your advice guys. I appreciate your help. I agree with you as well. I have made it clear to employers that I plan to relocate on my own behalf. I like your idea to get a local number and address via the methods advised. I'll look into that. I'll just have to keep my head up and keep working hard.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotfitched View Post
Thanks for your advice guys. I appreciate your help. I agree with you as well. I have made it clear to employers that I plan to relocate on my own behalf. I like your idea to get a local number and address via the methods advised. I'll look into that. I'll just have to keep my head up and keep working hard.
Just so you know, thats probably not enough. I did the same thing with everywhere I applied... no good. Even if you say that you'll pay, etc, they still don't take it seriously. Moving across country is a big deal, and its still easier to get someone local. You might be better off saving a bunch of money, moving here, then finding a job.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:04 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
If you happen to have family in the area, that can convince people that you're serious.

We moved out here in the spring of 2008, and when the prospective employers would ask my husband about the big move, he would explain that we were moving out here to be with family. That seemed to satisfy them.

Quote:
Plan a 2 week trip on site just to meet with recruiters (inside/HR and outside firms). The trip will pay for itself.
This is an absolute must. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
If you happen to have family in the area, that can convince people that you're serious.

We moved out here in the spring of 2008, and when the prospective employers would ask my husband about the big move, he would explain that we were moving out here to be with family. That seemed to satisfy them.

This is an absolute must.
Good luck!
Sure is. I did it too.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
even if you do move prior to finding a job and/or take a trip to talk to recruiters, the marketing industry in LA is really tightening its belt right now. my wife is in marketing, and with 2+ years of experience and a bachelor's degree, she was laid off from her prior company. it took her about 6 months to finally find another job. the job she took was also entry level and she had to take a fairly substantial pay cut as well. so it appears that the competition you are dealing with for the positions you are applying for is pretty fierce. good luck, you're going to need it. maybe you should stay local and do another internship to build up your experience before coming out to LA.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:00 PM

142 posts, read 754,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
You might be better off saving a bunch of money, moving here, then finding a job.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:14 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotfitched View Post
Hey everyone. Let me tell you my story. I graduated from college in Upstate, NY in August and have been job searching for almost 2 months now. I am interested in relocating to the Los Angeles area after having lived there for a 6 month internship last year. I have applied to over 100 companies, have had a few interviews but always get rejected after making it really far in the process. I have an excellent resume and great accomplishments, yet I am having an extremely difficult time finding employment in California. I understand that the job market may be bad, but I'm looking for insights from people that actually live there. My degree is in Marketing, with a background in technology, entrepreneurship, and communications. I was just turned down from a job on Friday, and I'm feeling "down in the dumps." This is what prompted me to write to all of you to seek advice. Any insight will be much appreciated!
First off, I want to wish you good luck in your job search.

Some insight: Many recent college grads make the mistake of thinking that since they now have a degree, they'll be sought-after by companies. The reality of the situation, however (especially in this economy), is that you have little or no real experience in your chosen field beyond any internships you've done, and you're competing with people who have multiple-to-many years of experience. This economy is making it even more difficult for recent college grads because so many experienced workers are losing their jobs and are having to resort to taking entry-level positions, in effect 'taking' those positions from new grads whose only options are entry-level positions. Your particular job search difficulty is compounded by the fact that you want to find a job in another state clear across the country.

Just hang in there. It'll probably take a while to secure employment in LA when you currently live in NY, but hopefully, it'll work out for you at some point. Your other option would be to get a job where you currently live, save a lot of money (six months or more of living expenses) and then move to LA. You can then find a job once you're already relocated, and you'll have gained some experience to boot. A lot of people do that, but you do run the risk of not finding something before your money runs out. In LA, your typical quick-fix job opportunities (restaurants, bars, retail, etc) don't come too easily, due to the large "actor" contingent, immigrants, teenagers, etc who are also competing for those same jobs. So, if you run out of your savings before securing a job, you may find it difficult to even find a lower-wage job that doesn't require a college degree to tide you over until you land a job in your chosen field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles