Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:14 PM

21 posts, read 71,827 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

I have asked this question before, and I am currently in the LA area looking around and scoping out the area.

I have been offered a job thankfully for $70,000 plus $4,800 in health benefits. I was looking at the Camarillo, Westlake, TO, Moorpark, and other areas and really liked what I saw.

LA is very metropolitan, and enjoyed the feel, and it really is not far from the Thousand Oaks area.

I currently live in Dallas, Texas and am managing well at $60K.

Will I survive if renting a 2 bd room, possibly at 1400 to 2000 a month?

I will then have Cali state income tax, utilities, gas, insurance, etc. to add on top of my other expenses.

The great thing is that from what I have heard in TO and in the overall LA area the need for A/C is not much.

It seems like a tough sell, but the quality of life is very enticing in Thousand Oaks and LA area.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Trablus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Remember that $60k in Dallas is about $120k in SoCal.

Sure you can survive on $60k renting an apartment, but what's the next step? Will that $70k soon turn into $100k+?

The need for AC here is nothing like Dallas, but it still gets hot for a good 3 months and our electricity rates are high. I spent $100 last month on electricity for a 2 bedroom apartment running the AC in the afternoons maybe 4x a week and its a lot cooler where I am than Thousand Oaks. I'd hate to try to cool an entire house.

Thousand Oaks maybe be geographically close to LA but have fun making that drive during the 1/2 of the day known as rush hour.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trablus View Post
Hello everyone:

I have asked this question before, and I am currently in the LA area looking around and scoping out the area.

I have been offered a job thankfully for $70,000 plus $4,800 in health benefits. I was looking at the Camarillo, Westlake, TO, Moorpark, and other areas and really liked what I saw.

LA is very metropolitan, and enjoyed the feel, and it really is not far from the Thousand Oaks area.

I currently live in Dallas, Texas and am managing well at $60K.

Will I survive if renting a 2 bd room, possibly at 1400 to 2000 a month?

I will then have Cali state income tax, utilities, gas, insurance, etc. to add on top of my other expenses.

The great thing is that from what I have heard in TO and in the overall LA area the need for A/C is not much.

It seems like a tough sell, but the quality of life is very enticing in Thousand Oaks and LA area.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Trablus
Your numbers don't sound that bad, $2K/month.

Your drive could be bad depending on where in LA and what time you commute - Technically, Woodland Hills is Los Angeles; Is that where the job is? Where is the job?

Also, realize TO, Camarillo, Moorpark are very suitable for the family demographic but for singles (not sure what your situation is) it could be boring.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:17 PM

Default Charles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Your drive could be bad depending on where in LA and what time you commute - Technically, Woodland Hills is Los Angeles; Is that where the job is? Where is the job?

Also, realize TO, Camarillo, Moorpark are very suitable for the family demographic but for singles (not sure what your situation is) it could be boring.
Dear Charles:

(1) Thank you for your reply. I figure that a budget of $2000 or less is doable in the area. A condo or apartment is possible at that rate.

(2) My job would be in TO, and I hope to live in the area.

(3) My wife would also need to take classes in the evening at the local college, which I believe the closest would be Moorpark College, and the closest public universities would be CSU Channel Islands, Cal Northridge, any others?

(4) As a single family the area is a great match, and although it can be boring, LA and other attractions are too far away.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trablus View Post
Dear Charles:

(1) Thank you for your reply. I figure that a budget of $2000 or less is doable in the area. A condo or apartment is possible at that rate.

(2) My job would be in TO, and I hope to live in the area.

(3) My wife would also need to take classes in the evening at the local college, which I believe the closest would be Moorpark College, and the closest public universities would be CSU Channel Islands, Cal Northridge, any others?

(4) As a single family the area is a great match, and although it can be boring, LA and other attractions are too far away.
More clear now.

Sounds like you'll be fine.

Moorpark College is great. There is also Pierce College near Victory and Winnetka.

There is also California Lutheran University in TO too.

UCSB has a satellite campus in Ventura for Comp Sci and Computer Engineering.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
if you end up in TO or nearby, you will definitely be using your a/c during the summer. it is not uncommon for temps in that area to push 100 degrees. other than that, you should be fine, the beach is less than 30 minutes away.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,589 times
As far as utilities go, my bill was 18.00 bucks last month.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
As far as utilities go, my bill was 18.00 bucks last month.
How do you have a bill that low unless you're never home and don't own a refrigerator.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How do you have a bill that low unless you're never home and don't own a refrigerator.
Resourceful? All my lights are low wattage GE bulbs. I never have more then 1 room with lights left on. No AC usage; open windows and fans. Quick showers. And yea, I have a fridge.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you end up in TO or nearby, you will definitely be using your a/c during the summer. it is not uncommon for temps in that area to push 100 degrees. other than that, you should be fine, the beach is less than 30 minutes away.

Good thing the beach is 30 minutes away to bring a nice breeze every once in awhile. Dallas is just so hot and boring, and just plain dull.

Ventura beaches are nice, but Leo Carillo is pretty nice as well.

Again the only downside for the move is putting down so much money for housing it is a big step.

Thanks,

Trablus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles