Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,597,345 times

Advertisements

After the riots a lot of people probably thought that Koreatown would disappear altogether. And it almost did, with large segments of the Korean population leaving the neighborhood for the suburbs. However if you take a drive down any of the main commercial strips today, it's evident that the Korean community there is alive and well. Grab a meal at any one of the numerous restaurants, stroll through the Koreatown Mall, and it almost feels like you've landed in Seoul. Wow, I'm starting to sound like a cheesy tour guide, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,235,693 times
Koreatown is absolutely huge too-- it's not just some little mini-neighborhood tucked away somewhere. Judging by where you start seeing Korean language signs everywhere, it spans from practically I-10/ just north of West Adams to just south of Hollywood, from Vermont to way past Western. It's a huge chunk of central LA.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 AM

70 posts, read 300,183 times
i remember the first time i drove through koreatown - i was in a bit of shock, i thought this place was a complete dump/ghetto. (the last place i lived was in Plano, tx), but after living here a while - i love it.

depending on where you live, koreatown isn't that sketchy. i live in ktown because im able to walk to work. its nice being able to walk everywhere for necessities (food - theres a lot more than korean!/groceries) and if you want to go out, everything is close. the beach, west hollywood are just a hop, skip and a step away. parking can be an issue (where is parking not an issue in LA?) but most halfway decent apts have parking lots (albeit tiny) or you can get monthly parking in a parking garage somewhere. there are lots of kids where i live.

if you plan on visiting an apartment, you can generally tell which areas to avoid. the further east you go, esp east of normandie i think it becomes more sketch. south of pico becomes sketch. if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 PM

705 posts, read 3,289,896 times
Korea town is one of my favorite districts of L.A. city. From 5th to Wilshire and even past Wilshire, its has a lot going for it. I ALWAYS find something new, whether recently renovated old nice architecture or a brand new location. There's also talk about a new highrise that would be SoCals first Vertical mall!! I do suggest that you stay near Wilshire Blvd like some have already mentioned. Having a roomate would also help but just to reassure you, Korea Town is great! but you need to be wise and careful after dark. The purple line runs 'til Western and Wilshire giving you access to other parts of L.A. as well which is a plus.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-23-2008 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Please post links to articles and pictures instead of copying them into your posts -- thanks.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,627,645 times
Koreatown, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

gives a bit of history about koreatown in LA. pretty interesting

Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
8 things to know about L.A.'s Koreatown - CNN.com

Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times
Wait a minute...but I thought L.A "didn't have any culture..." That's what every east coaster has told me!

Cool article, thanks for posting it.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 44,199 times
Here is what I tell people about where the "good" and "bad" parts of ktown are located...

Think of ktown as being bordered on the east at Vermont Ave. and on the west at Western Ave. The border on the north is 3rd St (some say Beverly, but I disagree) and on the south at Olympic (some say pico, but that's too south). Wilshire run right through the middle of it from east to west.

Try to stay west of Vermont. Going east gets you closer to MacArthur Park and it gets sketchy. Avoid at absolutely all costs going south of Wilshire and east of Vermont. This is a VERY bad area. Plus, there's really not that much to do there. Between Vermont and Western try not to go more than 2 blocks south of Wilshire. There are actually some cool buildings just south of Wilshire, but I would say that once you go south of 8th Street, things can get kind of sketchy. If you do venture down south of 8th, try to get close to Western. The closer to Western, the better its going to be. South of 8th and east of I say Normandie is not so good. But in general, stay above 8th.

In general, north of Wilshire is better than south of Wilshire. From Vermont to Western, north of wilshire but south of 3rd is going to be fine. Staying as close to Wilshire is going to be best. I would say that the prime apartment areas in ktown are the 2 blocks north of wilshire (6th Street and 5th Street) extending east to west from vermont to western. After that, it would probably be the 1st block south from wilshire from vermont to about normandie, and then the 2 blocks south of wilshire from normandie to western. Like south of wilshire, going north of 3rd street up to Beverly can get kind of sketchy the closer you are to vermont. But the closer you get to western (I would say the first 2 or 3 streets east of western), you can go up to beverly and the neighborhood will be ok. But you'll be away from the scene.

The way ktown is developing, it seems the epicenter is becoming wilshire and 6th street extending from vermont down to western. All the fun things to do are located somewhere on those 2 streets or a block away from them. So to maximize the urban ktown experience, you really should try to be as close as possible to those 2 streets.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM

367 posts, read 668,954 times
olympic is safe and has some of my favorite places in ktown. 8th too.

stop the fear mongering

Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM

13 posts, read 44,199 times
Where on Olympic? Where on 8th? If you say 8th and Vermont, I would disagree vociferously. And I've lived in Ktown for the past 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles