Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 11,548 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm being relocated from my job in Chicago to Los Angeles in January. Lately I've been looking at houses in L.A. over the computer and I'm wondering about one neighbourhood in particular. I found a house in Inglewood that seems to be good price/location. It's off of Crenshaw Blvd. near Daniel Freeman Elementary school. Does anyone know about this area? Would you recommend it to someone moving to the city?
Not sure if it matters but I'm in my 20s and African American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,558 times
what are the cross streets? i'm not familiar with that school.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 AM

It's just north of where Crenshaw & Manchester Blvds intersect. I know Inglewood doesn't have the best reputation, but also heard that for the most part it is quiet.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 AM

689 posts, read 2,571,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax1982 View Post
It's just north of where Crenshaw & Manchester Blvds intersect. I know Inglewood doesn't have the best reputation, but also heard that for the most part it is quiet.
That's in the Morningside Park neighborhood of Inglewood. One of the nicest neighborhoods in Inglewood. Lots of 30s and 40s built spanish style houses, great pride of ownership, nice neighbors and overall a nice area to live. Draw backs are it is Inglewood with a questionable city government and poor schools. Morningside Park is a little north of the flight path for planes arriving at LAX but with some wind conditions you will have airplane noise.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
I'd live in Morningside Park without hesitation, and I'm whiter than church paint.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:54 PM

yes, that neighborhood is fine. i'd like to see more attractive retail space in the area, but the residential streets are quiet and homes well-maintained.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:56 PM

77 posts, read 302,493 times
Quote:
I found a house in Inglewood that seems to be good price/location.
In relations to Westchester it's probably a good price.

Quote:
It's off of Crenshaw Blvd. near Daniel Freeman Elementary school.
Okay

Quote:
Does anyone know about this area?
All too well

Quote:
Would you recommend it to someone moving to the city?
Absolutely not. It's a little different if you've lived in L.A. for years or grew up near Inglewood, but to transplant from another state it may be a little bit different. Every transplant I've known moved, but then again Inglewood was off the hook back then. My advice: keep searching. Inglewood is going through some positive changes right now, but it's not there yet.
Eventhough there are some nice pockets here and there, the fool per capita ratio is still too high.

Quote:
Not sure if it matters but I'm in my 20s and African American.
That's even worse. You're a prime target for fools and the police.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angel View Post
In relations to Westchester it's probably a good price.

Okay

All too well

Absolutely not. It's a little different if you've lived in L.A. for years or grew up near Inglewood, but to transplant from another state it may be a little bit different. Every transplant I've known moved, but then again Inglewood was off the hook back then. My advice: keep searching. Inglewood is going through some positive changes right now, but it's not there yet.
Eventhough there are some nice pockets here and there, the fool per capita ratio is still too high.

That's even worse. You're a prime target for fools and the police.
Do you still live in this area? And what other areas in L.A. would you recommend?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:07 PM

three posters tell you that the neighborhood is among the best in inglewood, and you shouldn't expect any problems there. one person offers a less positive evaluation, throws in some lame reference to your potential as a police target, and that's the one to which you are responsive. people love appeals to their sense of victimhood, i guess.

in case you're still interested in the facts: my 77-year-old godmother lives in the area. most of her neighbors are retired elderly people who have lived in their homes for 30+ years. they have block parties and neighborhood watch meetings. i once spent a few days with her and had to park my car a few doors down the block because there was no space available in front of her house when i arrived. on the third day, the woman across the street called her to ask if she knew anything about the unfamiliar vehicle that had been parked in the same spot for the past two days. she had already asked the neighbors in front of whose house i had parked, and those on each side of them. she was going to call the police to report an abandoned car if she couldn't identify the owner, and i have no doubt that they would have responded and performed a check on my license plate. THAT'S the kind of neighborhood it is! i'm no fan of inglewood, in general, but i would live in this particular part of it without hesitation if it didn't lack the commercial amenities i seek in a neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM

Well katenik you'll be very happy to hear that the house in this neighbourhood is in my top two picks. Although it is a little more expensive, I'm also considering buying(not renting) in View Park. What can you tell me about View Park? Looking at the listings in this area, it seems upper-middle class. It will be a little closer to my job but it is quite a bit more expensive.
Something else I'm curious about is the gangs along Crenshaw Blvd. I currently live on Southside Chicago(around Kenwood/Hyde Park) so gangs aren't anything new to me but they aren't my favorite either. How active are they down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles