U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,007,641 times

Advertisements

OK Tenacious, check out LA Life - Find Your Place in Los Angeles for all the cities and neighborhoods in LA County. This website will show you affordability and safety comparisons for all of Los Angeles County. It is really a very helpful tool.

In general, you will find that the further you get from the city center, the more-affordable things will become. There are exceptions to this rule; for example, Koreatown and Hollywood are very cheap. The reason they are so cheap is that their traffic and parking situation is insane! But there are some really lovely buildings around there, and plenty of work in retail/service/restaurant and probably other areas as well.

Another inexpensive place to live is in Long Beach. There are some very decent housing options in Long Beach - I am not sure what the jobs situation is like but I'd definitely encourage you to check it out.

Really, you'd do better to wait, research and save, as well as finishing up college. My understanding is that Dallas is still enjoying a decent economy at this time. LA is feeling the economic downturn far more right now - in other words, jobs are getting scarcer.

But you may be able to make it work. Check that website and be smart - make a plan and a backup plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,256,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Yea, I didn't even think about that. Besides credit checks, many landlords want to see proof of income(using the x3 rule).
They will also accept 36x the monthly rent usually. In other words, if the rent is $1,000 per month, they'll accept you if you have $36,000 in the bank at least, figuring that's enough to pay for a year of rent if you have a year-long lease.

My friend just had this situation because he's not working for an employer, he's starting a Web business, and does make money but it can't be depended upon yet. The landlord wanted to see proof he'd be able to pay up. He showed her his bank account with almost $200,000 cash. She's like, "Yeah, that'll do just fine!"

Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 AM

66 posts, read 100,096 times
Oh how I love these threads. For $1600 rent you might be able to get a medicore place in a nice(r) area like Atwater Village or Glendale. I don't know what West Hollywood's charging these days. Four years ago I was in the middle of things and paying $920 for a 1/1 in an okay building. So maybe a 2/1 there for $1600 is do-able in an older building. I think WeHo's a good area if you want to be equidistant from the Hollywood clubs, the West Side and the Hills.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,321,542 times
Would like to add that in spite of the impression LA projects on TV or otherwise from afar, the city is a working-class town in many ways with millions of people living ordinary, hum-drum lives, working all kinds of hours in non-glamorous jobs just trying to make it from week to week.

Don't get me wrong, LA and CA can be great, but before you hop the next Greyhound headn' west on I-10 outa' Dallas, make a little bit of a plan first in terms of work and the kinds of living circumstances you'd like to find yourself in. LA can be excruciatingly unforgiving if you mess up. There are 9,000 men, women and children living homeless on LA's skid row. Plus, now with the foreclosure crisis, families are ending up in tent cities and campers around So Cal. Tough luck if you miscalculate and end up like that. Believe me, no one will care too much. So, make a plan first and then your "escape."

Old 10-22-2008, 03:49 AM

3,721 posts, read 1,367,285 times
Stay in Dallas or move to Austin if you want a change of scenery.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:14 AM

You mean everyone in Los Angeles doesn't live like Lauren Conrad, Audrina Partridge, and Heidi Montag on The Hills or the guys on Entourage?! This is an outrage! How could you suggest that, those are popular shows, they wouldn't mislead us into thinking that's how everyone lives here if it weren't true!

Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 AM

488 posts, read 962,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousMe View Post
I'm 20 and I live at home

Life is pretty depressing so I thought, how about a change?

I plan on getting a job and saving up then moving there when I have enough money because well it seems everything is in California.

How much money do you think is good enough to start out with?
I am all for anyone who wants to move to LA, but your drive seems possibly a little weak for a dive that deep. Raggy Dee mentioned Austin. I have heard great things and plan on attending SXSW next year. Might not be a bad idea just to see if you really want a big change.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 AM

SXSW is a great film festival, I'd like to get something into that one sooner or later.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 AM

3,721 posts, read 1,367,285 times
I attended it 3 years in a row when I lived there. It's a good place to net work can't always guarantee you success.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM

None of them do, trust me. My 2nd to last music video has already been to 6 film festivals / competitions, most of them don't really help. It's just self-promotion, networking, and resume-building. Some people would say it's not worth the money, but... I don't know, for me, money isn't such a concern that it's worth the risk NOT to submit my work if I feel it has a good chance to get accepted. I'm at the point of my career where just listing a lot of accomplishments, "Official Selection Action on Film International Film Festival" and stuff like that helps. In a few years, who knows, maybe won't mean much to me. That being said, SXSW is a high level festival, I don't think I'd call it an A-list festival, but it's a high B-list festival, right up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles