Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 AM

50,158 posts, read 46,838,053 times

Advertisements

It got down to 17 on one day in the mid 80s. S cal will get down into the 30s a few times a year on average overnight but the coldest I've seen in the day is the 50s. This is near the beach of course. Inland temps vary a lot more.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 AM

142 posts, read 211,676 times
I live 10 min from NYC.

The climate of Los Angeles and New York City is completely different.
Los Angeles has two seasons (Dry period with Warm to Hot days and cool evenings which is from may thru october and Rain period with mild to warm days and cool to chilly evenings which is from november thru april).

It does get chilly (40s and 50s) at night in Los Angeles, but NEVER 30s (maybe for a night if you're lucky).
It's usually 60s or low 70s during the day at winter and 80s - 90s in summer.
It's very dry in Southern California.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 AM

830 posts, read 2,856,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miranda104 View Post
Hey guys please help me out I am moving to LA in less than a year and I keep asking people the same question DOES IT GET COLD IN LA CALIFORNIA!!!!
I get the same answer YES! My mom tells me that it does get cold in California!
I always thought it was warm all year round! COLD! please some one tell me this is not true!

I am from New York to me cold is 30 degrees thats cold!

I want to know if it goes below 30 degrees on average in the months of December to May like it does here in New York?

My uncle says it gets cold but not as cold as New York. My uncle has been living there for 50 years so I am pretty sure I can trust him. I know it does not snow in LA.

I am moving with my family in LA for a ton of reasons but one of them is the weather here in NY will destroy me. It gets so cold I can not take it.

I went to visit LA in the August that just passed every day was extremely warm but at night it got cool my California buddies were like "hey man you are not cold" I was like no! 60 degrees is cold? are you kidding? it was no less than 60 sometimes 50 I mean one needs a jacket or a sweater but nothing more than that. In New York people walk in short when it is 60 degrees thats a treat!

I have never visited LA in any other seasons besides June thru August before so I personally don't know how cold it gets.

So please I need someone who lives in LA for more than a year to tell me how cold does it really get. And if you are familiar with New York weather does it kick New York's ass in having nice weather?

Ok let me be more specific do you need a coat to go outside in the months of December thru April like here in NY?

Does it get unbearably cold like New York? what's the coldest it will ever get? and how often does it get that cold?

So please someone from LA tell me how cold it gets and I am not talking about the mountains please I know about how cold it gets and it snows up there blah blah!

Also what are the best months for truly great fantastic warm weather in which I am in desperate need of knowing?

I am sorry to be a loser and ask this and I know I sound like a maniac but I am stressed and I really want to answer this question just to get it off my mind. SO please share your knowledge of how cold it gets in LA. Thank You so much for your help.

Also if you know how cold does it get in Anaheim and Burbank. Thanks.

There is this thing called the Internet. You access it using a browser on your computer. They have these things call search engines, like Google. And they also have websites like weather.com (imagine that) that will tell you temperatures for any zip code you enter. It's pretty cool. You should try it out.

You could also do a search for "annual temperatures for los angeles" or something like that.

Why are you frustrated that people on this forum won't tell you if it gets cold when you could have figured it out yourself in 30 seconds? Just curious.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:30 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,030,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
I live 10 min from NYC.

Los Angeles has two seasons (Dry period with Warm to Hot days and cool evenings which is from may thru october and Rain period with mild to warm days and cool to chilly evenings which is from november thru april).

It does get chilly (40s and 50s) at night in Los Angeles, but NEVER 30s (maybe for a night if you're lucky).
very well stated. i also grew up right outside of manhattan and believe me, there is no comparison between the relentlessly bitter, gray, and cold ny winters vs. even the coldest nights in LA. seriously, you (the OP) will love the weather in southern california, especially if you live reasonably close to the coast, where there are fewer fluctuations in temperature. in other words, the closer you are to the beach, the less you have to worry about extreme heat in the summer or cold in the winter.

and even if you do live somewhere like the san fernando valley, san gabriel valley, or inland empire - all of which have a greater range of hot and cold than the LA basin/coastal orange county, which are milder in both the daytime and nighttime - you probably still won't find the cold temperatures to be that bad relative to ny, boston, chicago, etc. i mean, if you told someone in any of those cities that the overnight low temperature in january would be 42 degrees, don't you think they would sign up for that immediately? remember, it gets down to the teens or even single digits many winter overnights in east coast/upper midwestern cities. by comparison, 40 degrees or even mid-to-upper 30s (at 3 or 4am, mind you, NOT during the day) during the dead of winter in california is no big deal.

it's all relative:
for longtime southern californians, 60 degrees during the day and 40 degrees at 3 in the morning is cold, i guess. but for those of us who grew up with the miserable ny winters, 60 in the day and 40 at night is perfectly fine. just because it isn't t-shirt and short weather in january or february doesn't make it cold. and there are more than a few days when it gets into the 70s during the winter (esp. in places like pasadena), which never happens in ny.

seriously, the weather is the last thing you need to worry about in southern california.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,864,184 times
There's a reason L.A. was once a major citrus growing area, and that reason is: citrus doesn't like freezing temps. Hence, those temps are the exception rather than the rule.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,591,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
I live 10 min from NYC.

How did you correctly sum up the LA climate from New Jersey? Couldn't have said if better.

Today will be near 100F again & I am definitely getting weary of the heat but October really is the last month of summer [summer is a very long season in California]. I live northeast of downtown near Pasadena & have never experienced frost or freezing night temps. Even during a rare Arctic airmass [1990 & 2007] LA did not record minimums below 32F. But the valleys can get frost in places where it is not windy. Winters are delightful. We open the house every day of the year [at night during summer & during the day in winter]. Air conditioning is necessary from July-Oct & heating from Dec-March.

Just wish we received more rain

Old 10-23-2008, 02:07 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,477,984 times
one bad thing about not having any rain is the drought. It must get kinda tough having to recycle people's urine just to get enough drinking water.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 PM

149 posts, read 567,362 times
Thanks guys! you were all a big help I know that there are websites out there that can tell me about the weather but I wanted to hear about it from actual people who lived in these areas.

Thank you for your deeply need insight I feel a little better about moving to LA specifically The city of Bell

Old 10-23-2008, 04:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,155,353 times
Bell is largely a working class hispanic neighborhood. If you plan on moving there, make sure you work on your spanish. Seriously though, if you're not hispanic, you will probably stick out like a sore thumb if that bothers you at all.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:47 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,719,334 times
Wow, such long posts for so little info.

Does it get cold?

Depends on how you take cold.

"I'm use to 30 degree NY weather"

Well, unless you plan on being out at 2am, you shouldn't worry.
You can live a normal life between the 50-110 weather you might face. Most of the time early morning like 5-7am could be 50-65...NOT really COLD, but cold.

Now breath....inhale, exhale...pass it to the left hand side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles