U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 AM

6 posts, read 34,982 times
Quote:
Hey guys please help me out I am moving to LA in less than a year and I keep asking people the same question DOES IT GET COLD IN LA CALIFORNIA!!!!
I get the same answer YES! My mom tells me that it does get cold in California!
I always thought it was warm all year round! COLD! please some one tell me this is not true!

I am from New York to me cold is 30 degrees thats cold!

I want to know if it goes below 30 degrees on average in the months of December to May like it does here in New York?

My uncle says it gets cold but not as cold as New York. My uncle has been living there for 50 years so I am pretty sure I can trust him. I know it does not snow in LA.

I am moving with my family in LA for a ton of reasons but one of them is the weather here in NY will destroy me. It gets so cold I can not take it.

I went to visit LA in the August that just passed every day was extremely warm but at night it got cool my California buddies were like "hey man you are not cold" I was like no! 60 degrees is cold? are you kidding? it was no less than 60 sometimes 50 I mean one needs a jacket or a sweater but nothing more than that. In New York people walk in short when it is 60 degrees thats a treat!

I have never visited LA in any other seasons besides June thru August before so I personally don't know how cold it gets.

So please I need someone who lives in LA for more than a year to tell me how cold does it really get. And if you are familiar with New York weather does it kick New York's ass in having nice weather?

Ok let me be more specific do you need a coat to go outside in the months of December thru April like here in NY?

Does it get unbearably cold like New York? what's the coldest it will ever get? and how often does it get that cold?

So please someone from LA tell me how cold it gets and I am not talking about the mountains please I know about how cold it gets and it snows up there blah blah!

Also what are the best months for truly great fantastic warm weather in which I am in desperate need of knowing?

I am sorry to be a loser and ask this and I know I sound like a maniac but I am stressed and I really want to answer this question just to get it off my mind. SO please share your knowledge of how cold it gets in LA. Thank You so much for your help.

Also if you know how cold does it get in Anaheim and Burbank. Thanks.
Hey. I was born and raised in LA and have been there all my life (minus the past 4 years, as i've moved to san diego for college). It does get cold in california, but my definition of cold is anything under 60! haha!

I have NEVER heard of LA getting colder than 35 degrees, even in December/January which I would say is the coldest time of the year. I grew up right by Anaheim, and the coldest temperature would be 50's-60's (maybe the occasional upper 40's). We're spoiled, aren't we? Burbank is probably about the same, though I'm not 100% sure. I have never owned a coat in my life, I get by fine with a hooded sweater, jeans and MAYBE a scarf.

The best time of the year in LA is definitely May through July. The weather is perfect - lots of sun, not as humid as the east coast... but the heat is dry and the pollution makes the air quality mucky and gross. Once the real heat of the summer kicks in (around July to August), it gets pretty damn hot!

I would have to tell you that San Diego is PERFECTION when it comes to weather. It's almost November now and we are still having beautiful days that hit mid 70's/80's (though the early mornings and nights have become quite cold... again, cold for me, somewhere in the 50's).

So hope this helps you and alleviates some of the stress you have been experiencing... if you could do the same for me and tell me some more about new york weather, i'd really appreciate it! it'll be nice to hear what you have to say because i KNOW i'll be a wuss when it comes to cold weather too! I am looking to attend Columbia for grad school, how terribly expensive is the upper west side of NYC? just any info on living in new york would be SO helpful! Thanks! and good luck with your move to LA! you'll love it here

Old 10-30-2008, 12:49 AM

149 posts, read 360,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymisslizzy View Post
Hey. I was born and raised in LA and have been there all my life (minus the past 4 years, as i've moved to san diego for college). It does get cold in california, but my definition of cold is anything under 60! haha!

I have NEVER heard of LA getting colder than 35 degrees, even in December/January which I would say is the coldest time of the year. I grew up right by Anaheim, and the coldest temperature would be 50's-60's (maybe the occasional upper 40's). We're spoiled, aren't we? Burbank is probably about the same, though I'm not 100% sure. I have never owned a coat in my life, I get by fine with a hooded sweater, jeans and MAYBE a scarf.

The best time of the year in LA is definitely May through July. The weather is perfect - lots of sun, not as humid as the east coast... but the heat is dry and the pollution makes the air quality mucky and gross. Once the real heat of the summer kicks in (around July to August), it gets pretty damn hot!

I would have to tell you that San Diego is PERFECTION when it comes to weather. It's almost November now and we are still having beautiful days that hit mid 70's/80's (though the early mornings and nights have become quite cold... again, cold for me, somewhere in the 50's).

So hope this helps you and alleviates some of the stress you have been experiencing... if you could do the same for me and tell me some more about new york weather, i'd really appreciate it! it'll be nice to hear what you have to say because i KNOW i'll be a wuss when it comes to cold weather too! I am looking to attend Columbia for grad school, how terribly expensive is the upper west side of NYC? just any info on living in new york would be SO helpful! Thanks! and good luck with your move to LA! you'll love it here

Well let me tell you something most of the time here in New York it is less than 60 it is october here at it has been 40 degrees latley and it is very cold.

Columbia is a wonderful school great area well the neighborhoods around it can be a little dangerous but don' worry about that. The upper west side is super expensive now. Manhattan alone is expensive my mom pays about $1000.00 a month and the neighborhood isn't even that great.

People have been giving me advice about moving to California so here is some advice about moving to Manhattan it is way more expensive than California even my uncle said it. Just make sure when you make the move you have money saved and have an idea of what you want to do. Being able to get a job actually find an affordable place for you. Don't even worry about a car the subway will take you anywhere. I am personally sick of New York and have no desire to live here anymore it has a lot to do with the fact that I have lived here my whole life. Life is totally different here in New York and things are going to cost you more money.

And you will have to buy a coat I hate wearing coats!

Right now in October people are starting to wear coats. The weather here is no joke and having weather in the 50's is a treat.

And like you said you are a weather wuss I am too. and I lived here my whole life when the winter comes it really sucks. Especially the fact that you are from California you will freeze to death. It went down to 10 degrees last March! I was out that day and froze my ass.

You said you wear a scarf A Scarf A scarf in California That really makes me mad in 50 degree weather here in New York we dance and run in our shorts! Ha ha ha I need to relax

New York is great minus the weather and expensive lifestyle and other tiny annoyances good luck on your decision and good luck at Columbia

and one last thing IT DOES NOT GET COLD IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 PM

Yeah I think this thread is done with there really is not much to discuss here. Especially with the fact that I know it does not get cold. At least my definition of cold. The weather is perfect for me.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Hey it's been a while no one else has anything to say.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 PM

183 posts, read 302,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miranda104 View Post
Hey it's been a while no one else has anything to say.
I was originally from the West San Fernando Valley and I do recall it getting down to the upper 20s around the morning hours once or twice a year when we ended up with black ice on our driveway. I remember stepping on frosts on our lawn while getting to school just about every other morning from December-February so it must be in the low to mid 30s at the time. When the sun comes up, however, it gets to a nice 60s. Since most people only notice the day to early evening temperature, I think it doesn't get that cold compared to New York. It doesn't even snow where I lived.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Yes having the weather going that low once or twice a year is fantastic in my opinion. New York weather gets unbearably cold and it does snow from time to time. March is the worst all of the snow from past months is still dirty black and stuck to the ground. February and March are very cold months. Right now in December it is cold but it is not as bad as it will get. Right now walking outside is not that bad.

Also a quick question how many degrees will it be in Burbank during January I will probably be going there soon.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM

From what I remember Burbank's climate is pretty mild. In January, rain or shine, daytime temps are in the upper 50s-mid 60s about 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, SoCal either gets a cold Alaskan airmass or the hot Santa Ana winds that warms Burbank to the 80s in mid winter.

Less than 15% of the time, there are those Alaskan air that keeps daytime temps cool in the upper 40s with 15-35 mph winds sometimes even damaging wind. If you will be doing nighttime walking, this is when you might need a coat. Well, just an advice in case you go right during this time. Have a great visit.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 PM

A coat in California? Thats not what I heard my uncles never wears a coat when he is out at night even in Burbank. Maybe a jacket but not a coat it is California. The mountains cold temperature is less than an average winter temperature in New York.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 PM

Yeah, when I was in SoCal I never wore a coat like a lot of people. That's because it doesn't get cold enough too often for me to buy one. When it does get cold 4 or 5 days out of a month a coat would be helpful. I only have 2 coats living there and it was never a force of habit for me to get out the coat buried in my closet. It may be for this reason, it never became a culture (?) who knows. I have friends from cooler cities that relocate to LA that owns many cold weather clothes. They use the occasional cold blast to dress up.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 PM

5,031 posts, read 7,899,160 times
It has been chilly lately [60's] & it rained a week ago. But another 'santa ana' appears on the horizon for early next week if not before. We need more rainfall desperately or California will start putting restrictions on water consumption.

I live fairly close to Burbank. It is just like the rest of coastal So.California during winter [max: 65-70\ min: 40's]. It is located in the east San Fernando valley. The West valley around Woodland Hills can get some of the coldest night temps in the LA region due to topography but then warm up to have the warmest days in the area during winter & summer. You may never see frost in Burbank & especially Los Angeles but some areas can get pretty cold at night. I have a windbreaker & sweaters for cold temps. I've gone to the New Year's Rose parade at 5AM & needed the layered-look of sweaters & sweat shirts until the sun came up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles