Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 24,303 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Bay Area and am very interested in going to Santa Monica college next fall, participating in the honors program to get TAP to transfer to UCLA after 2 years. How realistic would it be for me to live in Santa Monica, ideally within a short distance of the campus? As in, how much am I looking at for a non-complete-ghetto apartment (not sure if there are really that many "ghetto" areas in SM, but I don't want to live somewhere with a lot of gang activity) in that area? Everything I've seen online for a studio is at least $1500, are there any better deals to be had? Even the ads on Craigslist for an extra living room or an extra bedroom in an apartment aren't much less than $1000. I'm just wondering if any of you have some good ideas for housing for a student who isn't going to have too much money, or tips for the best places to look for semi-affordable housing in the general vicinity of campus. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 04:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
for affordable on the westside, you need to look at mar vista or palms. landlords in santa monica can charge an arm and a leg for crappy apartments because it's a desirable location and people will line up to pay it just to be able to say they live in santa monica. hence, don't expect to find any bargains there.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 PM

Any areas in Mar Vista or Palms that you recommend?

Old 10-25-2008, 04:24 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,151 times
Don't move into the Mexican area near the 405/Centinela.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:28 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
not particularly. you'll want to avoid the area of mar vista near the housing project, so staying north of venice blvd. is probably a good rule of thumb. palms is pretty much the same all over.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:33 PM

^ He said he didn't want to move somewhere with a sizable gang presence/ghetto.

That area is saturated with gangs. I'm talking about that area where the abandoned fast food restaurant is on Pico (SMX3: 20th/Pico, Virginia Ave; Graveyard Crip: Pico near 14th/SMC, 17 St Gang, etc) .

Last edited by King0fthehill; 10-25-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Any advice about Culver City?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giants55 View Post
I'm from the Bay Area and am very interested in going to Santa Monica college next fall, participating in the honors program to get TAP to transfer to UCLA after 2 years. How realistic would it be for me to live in Santa Monica, ideally within a short distance of the campus? As in, how much am I looking at for a non-complete-ghetto apartment (not sure if there are really that many "ghetto" areas in SM, but I don't want to live somewhere with a lot of gang activity) in that area? Everything I've seen online for a studio is at least $1500, are there any better deals to be had? Even the ads on Craigslist for an extra living room or an extra bedroom in an apartment aren't much less than $1000. I'm just wondering if any of you have some good ideas for housing for a student who isn't going to have too much money, or tips for the best places to look for semi-affordable housing in the general vicinity of campus. Thank you.

There are several new developments in Santa Monica for single occupancy young professionals and students at an affordable rate. Many are currently under construction but will be completed by the time you relocate. They start at $1,375. olympic studios is one of the projects.

You could move further away, culver city, palms etc and save a few hundred $. But, you wouldnt be able to bike to school and would, most likely, not be in a very good area.

Edit: I checked craigslist for apartments: West La, North of the 10 frwy and West of the 405. There are studio rentals in the $800-1,000 price range. You should have no problems finding a unit close to SMC in a good area.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 PM

I know what I'm talking about:

Quote:
October 27 -- Three separate shootings this weekend that left one man dead and two others injured could be part of an escalating gang war involving a Santa Monica and a Venice street gang, according to sources familiar with the incidents.

The shootings started Friday, when a single shot was fired in the Pico Neighborhood in Santa Monica, followed by a shooting in Mar Vista Saturday night that left one man dead and one critically injured and culminating in the shooting of a Santa Monica student in the Pico neighborhood Sunday evening.

In the most serious incident -- which took place at 8:15 Saturday night in Mar Vista near Culver City’s western border -- a 25-year-old Venice man was killed and his 19-year-old friend was critically injured after they were shot multiple times.
Weekend Shootings Could Signal Gang War

Old 10-28-2008, 01:32 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
I know what I'm talking about:

Weekend Shootings Could Signal Gang War
That area is in such a desirable part of los angeles, yet it has remained depressed due to rent control, poor property management/ownership giving way to a small group of thugs. I have always hoped it would be re-developed and cleaned up.

A combination of Student Housing, Apartments, condos, single family homes, green belts, and retail could turn that area around big time. Just think how convenient it would be for SMC Students.

SMC & City of Santa Monica should have been quietly buying up real estate in that area for the past 20 or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles