U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM

149 posts, read 517,135 times

Advertisements

I want to know if Los Angeles is expensive as people say. Here in New York City things are expensive. When I visited it was not that expensive where the parts I went to. I understand the apartments are expensive but I plan to move soon. I am either going to stay with my uncle and live there for free or live on campus because I plan on transferring to a college over there. Rent is not a problem for me. I have to get a part time job to make it and college tuition will be paid later. Will I make it when I get there? I plan on giving it a year so I have a year to save up money and other things I need. I am giving it time and then I am outta here. Not to mention all my family is over there. My mom lives here in New York but is in favor of me going away.

Tell me what you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 02:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,997,974 times
The only things in LA that aren't expensive are utility bills and produce.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:02 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,456,648 times
LA would be cheaper than Manhattan, but would be much more expensive than Buffalo. Don't know about much else though

Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM

149 posts, read 517,135 times
Yeah Manhattan is insane! It is so expensive! my mom pays $1000.00 a month for a one bedroom apartment not counting bills. The neighborhood is okay but I do not think it is worth it. Other parts of Manhattan are unbelievably expensive and even in bad neighborhoods of Manhattan the rent is expensive they are making new buildings everywhere. I am pretty sure 20 years from now you will have to be wealthy to live in Manhattan.

Not to mention that buying things is very expensive here too. A pack of cigarettes is $8.50 and a hot-dog downtown is $2.00 and a slice of pizza is $2.75 it is not expensive all over but most parts are.

I know it will be expensive especially because I am young but with some help I can make it.

I have been to L.A. and in the suburbs things are usually cheaper I think.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,852,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miranda104 View Post
Yeah Manhattan is insane! It is so expensive! my mom pays $1000.00 a month for a one bedroom apartment not counting bills. The neighborhood is okay but I do not think it is worth it. Other parts of Manhattan are unbelievably expensive and even in bad neighborhoods of Manhattan the rent is expensive they are making new buildings everywhere. I am pretty sure 20 years from now you will have to be wealthy to live in Manhattan.

Not to mention that buying things is very expensive here too. A pack of cigarettes is $8.50 and a hot-dog downtown is $2.00 and a slice of pizza is $2.75 it is not expensive all over but most parts are.

I know it will be expensive especially because I am young but with some help I can make it.

I have been to L.A. and in the suburbs things are usually cheaper I think.
A lot of places around here you will get a dump for $1,000.00. Generally speaking I think the cost of living in NYC is higher.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 PM

396 posts, read 1,579,480 times
it's "than". and yes, la is more expensive than nyc.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:12 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,119,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miranda104 View Post
I want to know if Los Angeles is expensive as people say. Here in New York City things are expensive. When I visited it was not that expensive where the parts I went to. I understand the apartments are expensive but I plan to move soon. I am either going to stay with my uncle and live there for free or live on campus because I plan on transferring to a college over there. Rent is not a problem for me. I have to get a part time job to make it and college tuition will be paid later. Will I make it when I get there? I plan on giving it a year so I have a year to save up money and other things I need. I am giving it time and then I am outta here. Not to mention all my family is over there. My mom lives here in New York but is in favor of me going away.

Tell me what you guys think?
I doubt it.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM

5,835 posts, read 4,059,278 times
I thought you had to be upper class to live in Manhattan or the Upper West Side? I'm pretty sure if you compare apples to apples for what you get for $1000 in Manhattan, you would probably get a small studio and in L.A. a one bedroom without the great city.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:41 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,207,959 times
$1,000/month for a one bedroom in Manhattan? Are you sure about that? I wish I could get a one bedroom for that price here in LA, much less Manhattan.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:12 PM

332 posts, read 2,001,396 times
if you stay in NYC and don't need a car, then it's definitely cheaper there. In LA everything is spread out, and a car will cost you at least $400/month extra once you add up the car payment, insurance, gas, and occasional parking or speeding ticket. Sounds like rent in NYC is cheaper as well. In LA, $1000 will get you a shoddy 1-bedroom in a crap area with nothing but walls, doors and a few windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles