Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton167 View Post
Thanks guys - I do have a social security card. In terms of the insurance thing, I've researched it and with most insurance companies I can get a license with a UK license but need to get a California license within 30 days.
I think I will need to take my test here (though I'm feeling more positive about it today - have changed instructors - I realized that mine is shouting at me too much which leads me to mess up even more). I can't deal with living in L.A for two weeks without being able to drive!
so, you're coming here as a newly-licensed, inexperienced driver who will then have to learn to drive on the right side of the road and become licensed in CA? no wonder you're on the verge of a nervous breakdown! i do hope you'll be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 AM

92 posts, read 257,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
so, you're coming here as a newly-licensed, inexperienced driver who will then have to learn to drive on the right side of the road and become licensed in CA? no wonder you're on the verge of a nervous breakdown! i do hope you'll be careful.
I will be careful. However, I started driving lessons four years ago, had them for a year and half and then moved to Oregon, got my permit and drove for a year on that (always with someone else in the car). I did book my test, but got there too late so ended up not ever getting a license. I've only been back a few months, so driving on the right is still pretty natural for me, and I've been having lessons for a long time.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 11-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I will be careful. However, I started driving lessons four years ago, had them for a year and half and then moved to Oregon, got my permit and drove for a year on that (always with someone else in the car). I did book my test, but got there too late so ended up not ever getting a license. I've only been back a few months, so driving on the right is still pretty natural for me, and I've been having lessons for a long time.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
you took driving lessons for a year and a half? is there some issue (a disability or something) that you haven't mentioned that is making it difficult for you to become a licensed driver? most teens try to get their permits at age 15 1/2, take the required hours of formal instruction, and then drive supervised until as soon after their 16th birthdays they can schedule a road test. adults take even less time. why are you over-preparing and making yourself crazy?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 PM

The issues are:
1. Over here, we don't generally learn to drive with parents, we have licensed instructors. Some people get extra practice in a parent's car, but that wasn't the case for me as I only have one parent who doesn't drive. Lessons are at least $40 per hour, and it's easy to run out of funds, like I have a few times, and had to stop.
2. The UK test is extremely difficult compared to a lot of other countries - I have friends who have taken both, and they say the 45 minute UK one is far tougher than the American one. It's not uncommon here for people to learn to drive for years before taking the test, running out of funds along the way and thus stopping and starting.

This is interesting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ring.transport

Old 11-01-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
The issues are:
1. Over here, we don't generally learn to drive with parents, we have licensed instructors. Some people get extra practice in a parent's car, but that wasn't the case for me as I only have one parent who doesn't drive. Lessons are at least $40 per hour, and it's easy to run out of funds, like I have a few times, and had to stop.
2. The UK test is extremely difficult compared to a lot of other countries - I have friends who have taken both, and they say the 45 minute UK one is far tougher than the American one. It's not uncommon here for people to learn to drive for years before taking the test, running out of funds along the way and thus stopping and starting.

This is interesting:

Tom Vanderbilt takes the UK driving test | Technology | The Guardian
i thought you said you took lessons for over a year in oregon, and then had to leave. perhaps, i misunderstood.

good luck to you, in any event.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:39 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
I've pretty much given up taking my UK driving test, mentally. I have my test scheduled but right now I feel so lousy about being so rubbish at roundabouts (a complete waste of time for someone moving to America) and all the lessons - $50 a go - are just draining much needed finances from my bank account.

I'm going to need to take the written and then the road test asap when I get to California. I've had experience on Oregon roads and passed the written test there, but I was just wondering how soon after you've passed the written and gotten your permit do you have to wait, generally, before you can take the road test? And I'm a bit confused as to which DMV locations offer the road test - it wasn't that clear from the website. I was under the impression it would be all of them.

Also, if anyone can share their experiences of an L.A. road test, it would be very much appreciated.

10 weeks to go and on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Sigh.
Come and take your test in Texas! A simple computer test then a 5 minute drive around the block and bingo - one driving licence!

I have to admit to not reading the handbook at all, but still got 78% on the written and passed the practical without a single minus. Not sure if that's a good thing....

Old 11-14-2008, 04:05 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:
I've pretty much given up taking my UK driving test, mentally. I have my test scheduled but right now I feel so lousy about being so rubbish at roundabouts (a complete waste of time for someone moving to America) and all the lessons - $50 a go - are just draining much needed finances from my bank account.

I'm going to need to take the written and then the road test asap when I get to California. I've had experience on Oregon roads and passed the written test there, but I was just wondering how soon after you've passed the written and gotten your permit do you have to wait, generally, before you can take the road test? And I'm a bit confused as to which DMV locations offer the road test - it wasn't that clear from the website. I was under the impression it would be all of them.

Also, if anyone can share their experiences of an L.A. road test, it would be very much appreciated.

10 weeks to go and on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Sigh.
Instead of driving yourself nuts about passing a test in the UK. I'd wait until the California move and take it then as it's so much easier than the tests here. I took my test in 86 and can't remember it much but the driving test is usually within a week or two of the written test.

I'm not sure where you will be but you have mentioned the Valley which is where I lived and always used the DMV at Van Nuys.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Come and take your test in Texas! A simple computer test then a 5 minute drive around the block and bingo - one driving licence!

I have to admit to not reading the handbook at all, but still got 78% on the written and passed the practical without a single minus. Not sure if that's a good thing....
I found it easy too. I took a test in Texas in '99 and do you know the instructor didn't make me do certain maneuvers because he said it was because it was close to a holiday weekend

Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM

Lol! I actually have my test booked for Nov 25th, so I'm going to go ahead and take it, and if I fail (as most first timers do), I'll have a think. At the moment, I think I will try to get my license here. It will be one less thing to worry about when I get to L.A - and there is already quite a long list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles