Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,189 times

Advertisements

Do you think living in OC is living in Los Angeles? and in Riverside or San Bernardino? Ventura? even Santa Clarita or most eastern cities in LAC?

If you are from Irvine, Riverside or Oxnard, you call yourself when you are abroad as a citizen from Los Angeles? or you say you are a southern californian?

And if you are from Pomona, Diamond Bard, or even Santa Clarita or Agoura Hills every of them along Los Angeles County? Do you think you are "angelino"?

And even from Santa Monica, Pasadena, Burbank, Beverly Hills, Inglewood...?

I try to catch the feeling of southern californian as part of a worldwide major city or as citizens of a sprawl with no city core belonging to a region not to a city? How do you feel about this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
Do you think living in OC is living in Los Angeles?

I try to catch the feeling of southern californian as part of a worldwide major city or as citizens of a sprawl with no city core belonging to a region not to a city? How do you feel about this issue?
People from the O.C. say, "I'm from O.C."
People from LA say, "I'm from LA."

"No core belonging" due to sprawl? No way. That's such a traditionalist statement. Sprawl is great. I don't want to sacrifice my yard for some stupid subway. Buenos Aires or NYC will not provide me a better "feeling of belonging." I get my feeling when I wake up on my cul-de-sac, walk my dog in shadow-free sunlight, and get a front row parking space at Gelsons.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:21 AM

If you say in Europe Im from OC, nobody will know where you are from

Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
The "O.C." became popularized by the shows "Laguna Beach" and "The O.C." so those that are familiar with the shows or are locals would recognize the name.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 AM

ok, thats right, probably nationwide, but not abroad.

Im my post in talking about if people far away Los Angeles city core and inmediate areas feels as angelinos or only southern californians.

Myself, as angelino, ever feel as angelino, when i lived in the valley, then in Los Feliz, or even a few years i lived round the OC, always from Los Angeles, thats what i feel, an angelino. I suppose this feeling match with my direct and daily relationship with the main city, and the lack of other metro core in any of the other counties, so I dont think living in the OC makes you feel not from Los Angeles whats the OC? is it somethin more than one of the major suburban areas of the nation? With the capital, financial, economic core of the OC? Which the OC international film festival? Which worldwide famous attraction is in the OC located?? Yeah....Disney, but people outside say Disney Los Angeles, but people living here, how feels about?

When U2 played in Anaheim, they say they are playing in Los Angeles dates, as weel as when they do in Staples.....but you? Do you think that if a band is playing in Anaheim is visiting Los Angeles or your house backyard if you are from the OC...that kind of things.

What I mean is that my impression is that people here try to move apart the concept of Los Angeles as one and only metro area, maybe as when SFV try to segregate from the city, because of sometimes to normal socal people, the name of Los Angeles is not related to good things.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:05 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
most people will say they are from LA, when they mean they are from southern california. this happened alot when i moved to SF. people would say they were from LA, then when i asked them what part they would say, murietta, ventura or some place like colton. next i would laugh and and ask them to show me what area of LA that was on a map. To me los angeles is downtown and a 10 mile radius. as for the valley. thats the valley. OC is Orange County. look at your local yellow pages and if it says Greater los angeles, then that is los angeles. everything else is just wishing to be LA.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:32 AM

Default wishing to be LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
most people will say they are from LA, when they mean they are from southern california. this happened alot when i moved to SF. people would say they were from LA, then when i asked them what part they would say, murietta, ventura or some place like colton. next i would laugh and and ask them to show me what area of LA that was on a map. To me los angeles is downtown and a 10 mile radius. as for the valley. thats the valley. OC is Orange County. look at your local yellow pages and if it says Greater los angeles, then that is los angeles. everything else is just wishing to be LA.

Or wishing NOT to be LA in many cases, as those who move to OC or faraway the Valley try to catch a southern californian way of live and status they think lost in LA City and inner cities 20 miles around.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:21 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
I lived on the East Coast for a few years after living in the Valley my whole life and the impression most people have of L.A. is Hollywood, beaches, gangs and superficial people. I was and am again from Ventura County but most people would not recognize that name until I told them the geographic area and the close proximity to Malibu and Santa Barbara which was recognizable. To say you were from L.A. on the East Coast to young people would be impressive because they would think of what they see in movies or t.v. like the "O.C.". Mature adults were far from impressed or even interested in Los Angeles and a great many had never even been here nor had the desire.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 PM

In Europe many people know only topics about Los Angeles, they think in rich and famous, gangs, traffic, rolling hills, sandy beaches, films, rock bands, pop stars, surgery, and latinos......well, I think they are not far away from whats really LA is, dont u think???

If you are visiting Rome or Barcelona and you met someone from SoCal, not San Diego, not Santa Barbara, they would say, Im from Los Angeles. Then when you talk them you are also from California, they say the city or area, im from Ventura, OC, San Bernardino, ........or even if they are very proud where they are from, probably say the right place they are, Westside Los Angeles, SFV, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Newport....probably if someone is from Pomona in the would say, Im from Los Angeles.........

Old 02-23-2007, 05:40 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
For me I lived in Thousand Oaks and Oxnard (beach). To say were I lived to people would depend on if they know the area or not. Since I moved to Texas I say I lived in Oxnard in Southern California between LA and Santa Barbara on the ocean----I would also add that the Dallas Cowboys practice in Oxnard and usually they say "oh Ya, I know Oxnard". If I was in another country (Europe ect.) I would still say Southern California. If I met someone from Californina then I would say Thousand Oaks or Oxnard (depending where I lived at the time) or mention Ventura County. So it depends who they are. But I don't remember ever saying I am from LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles