U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 PM

414 posts, read 935,783 times
Default Woodland Hills??

Can anyone here give me the skinny on Woodland Hills? I am wondering about the school districts, rents, the community as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 PM

419 posts, read 873,559 times
It's hot.

It's LAUSD, but it has a few decent elementary schools (WH Elementary is exceptional) and the high schools are also reputable.

It's also hot.

Rents are reasonable - there are a ton of apartment properties on the market, which puts pressure on pricing. Expect $1800 - $2200 for a decent 2br apt, $2500 - $3500 for a 3-4br home. YMMV.

Before you pull the trigger, ensure you have a decent job in the area - commuting is a pain in and out of WH.

Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this, it's hot. More than the rest of the valley - and it is perceptible.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,185,921 times
How old are your kids? Reason I ask is that some of the northern parts of Woodland Hills between Fallbrook on the west and I believe Canoga or Desoto to the east could have your high school kids zoned to Canoga Park High School (LAUSD) which is NOT where you want them to go. Its one of the worst schools in the Valley.

ITS HOT!!! And ITS COLD!! This is the one part of the valley were you get the extremes on both ends when it comes to weather. Its awful.

Where will you be working? Whats your budget? I dont know what the rents are (I own my home) but I dont think they are too high.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:34 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,661,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
Can anyone here give me the skinny on Woodland Hills? I am wondering about the school districts, rents, the community as a whole.

Do you know where you will be working? This is more important to know than weather. If you are heading east on the 101 then you may have problems. If you are heading west, towards the Conejo Valley, then it shouldn't be as bad. Warner Center? No problem at all.

What is your budget for housing?

As mentioned above, it is hotter than most of Southern California, July, August, and September. But unless you are near the coast most other non-coastal locations in Southern California are quite warm too. Most people aren't outside more than a few minutes a day anyway so not sure if that should be in the top five determinants of where to live (with jobs, affordability, schools, traffic, and amenities above weather).

There are some very good schools in the Woodland Hills area; Woodland Hills Elementary is outstanding. It is located in the older Girard neighborhood (the oldest section of Woodland Hills - back before 1948 when WH was called Girard.) Taft (Great Schools 7/10) and El Camino (8/10) are above average High Schools. It it is within your budget, take a look at Calabasas, just west of Woodland Hills, in the Las Virgenes school district.

California School Performance Maps

Twenty minutes from the beach south on Topanga Canyon.

Overall safe, leafy, well maintained neighborhoods.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:38 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,441,806 times
The other posters forgot to mention one important factor: it's hot. Assburning hot in the summer and fall.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM

419 posts, read 873,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The other posters forgot to mention one important factor: it's hot. Assburning hot in the summer and fall.
Fontucky:
I hope you were being sarcastic on the omission by the other posters!

Charles, I wouldn't minimize the heat. The weather may not be a significant national criteria, but it's a huge reason why people come here in the first place. Adn while other areas of the valley are certainly "hot," WH is just especially warmer (and colder) and thus less comfortable than most other areas in the southland. The difference can be as high as 10 degrees even from other spots in the valley.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,441,806 times
Sarcasm literally drips from my keyboard.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:15 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,867,242 times
AGAIN: it's HOT!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 PM

414 posts, read 935,783 times
I have a friend who lives in Woodland Hills in a nice complex, The Montecito in Woodland Hills. I would be taking on a sales position that would require me to travel throughout the day to various regions in L.A. county so proximity is sort of irrelevant. My favorite areas are to the north of L.A. proper Santa Monica being my . I have a 3 and a half yr old so school is only semi important. My wife is applying for education related jobs. thanks for the info. The weather is important, I'm moving from Buffalo so it will be a big change no matter what

Old 11-10-2008, 04:02 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,661,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
I would be taking on a sales position that would require me to travel throughout the day to various regions in L.A. county so proximity is sort of irrelevant.

I have a 3 and a half yr old so school is only semi important.

The weather is important, I'm moving from Buffalo so it will be a big change no matter what
Wouldn't proximity be totally relevant? Woodland Hills is at the extreme west end of Los Angeles County. Wouldn't it be better to be more centered? Where are the most likely places you'd be traveling to? (This experience in LA won't be anything close to bouncing around Lackawanna, Tonawanda, Cheektowaga, and Depew.)

Schools are extremely important. Wife working too? Does that mean daycare too?

Sounds like there are bigger things to be concerned about than weather.

Last edited by Charles; 11-10-2008 at 04:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles