Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,621 times

Advertisements

Your tax dollars at work!

As of about 7.20pm tonight there was no way to drive from the west on major surface streets into the Silver Lake neighborhood of the city tonight due to the Police barricade of all major east-west streets to the west of Vermont St. But, even though the protest that was the cause of these barricades was known to police in advance (given the presence of the street barricades), there were NO POLICE posted at major intersections west of Vermont St., NO SIGNAGE placed at major intersections west of Vermont St. to guide motorists to alternate eastbound routes, and no way for motorists to get information about how far north on Vermont St. the road was closed. I guess that LAPD doesn't do traffic control on Saturday nights even on the MAJOR THOROUGHFARES in the city.

At about 7.20pm tonight I was forced to drive through there after hitting the roadblock in the eastbound lanes of Santa Monica Blvd, and it was CHAOS trying to accomplish travel on any street going north from that point.

I thought LA was a "world class" city! God forbid you had a fire call or medical emergency anywhere in the neighborhood just west of Vermont St. and north of Santa Monica Blvd. tonight. LAPD should not allow these street protests if they cannot accomplish continuity of traffic on the major thoroughfares by rational and well-marked alternate routes.

Here is LA Times newspaper coverage of tonight's march:
Anti-Prop. 8 protests spring up in California - Los Angeles Times
//
Police estimated that 12,500 boisterous marchers converged about 6 p.m. at Sunset and Santa Monica boulevards in Silver Lake near the site of the former Black Cat bar, which the city recently designated a historic-cultural monument for its '60s role as home of the local gay rights movement.

Police guided the demonstrators through the streets for more than three hours without major confrontations. No arrests were reported.
//

Last edited by ParkTwain; 11-09-2008 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 AM

269 posts, read 783,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Police estimated that 12,500 boisterous marchers converged about 6 p.m. at Sunset and Santa Monica boulevards in Silver Lake near the site of the former Black Cat bar...

How do you estimate something if you're not there?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:04 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,605,568 times
It was announced that the march would be in Hollywood & Silverlake. But LAPD routinely screw things up with traffic control. They frequently close Hollywood Blvd on wkend nights w/ massive traffic jam resulting.

LA Times reports upcoming marches. One downtown today & in Santa Monica & other areas.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Dont blame it on the police. Blame it on the protestors. Geez

Old 11-09-2008, 02:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

I think that the LAPD has the training and technology to be at least as organized as 10,000 marchers. There were also at least 6 helicopters in the air over that area at the time I was driving through. Do you think at least one of them was LAPD? This shows that it is likely that the cops won't be able to handle real emergency of large scale in that part of the city, one would have to presume.

The cops should not have allowed the marchers to cause all the major east-west streets in that area to be shut down. Doing so precluded the possibility of emergency vehicles getting into that entire area. An arsonist would have a field day last night.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,159,666 times
It's all relative...

LAPD is immensely superior to SFPD in protecting its taxpayers....and LAPD is inferior to BevHills PD, which understands how to protect its taxpayers from silly nonsense from largely trivial taxpayers...all about superior management who understands who pays bills and paychecks...

Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 PM

51 posts, read 240,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I wonder why the protesters don't protest in Compton or Watts where an over-whelming majority voted for Prop. 8.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianCalFullertonStudent View Post
I wonder why the protesters don't protest in Compton or Watts where an over-whelming majority voted for Prop. 8.
Using that logic, they should really only be in primarily Hispanic areas.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:40 PM

21 posts, read 58,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianCalFullertonStudent View Post
They should actually be protesting at the Mormon temple, since it was the Mormons who bankrolled the Yes on 8 propaganda.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:34 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times
I do no see a problem there at all. They were protesting for their rights, which is totally understandable, and the LAPD needs to be there to watch it.
So?
You are very right about it. My tax dollars at work. Just the way I want them to handle this.

Better than police men going to a bar and drinking on their break which was on TV. yesterday. Total waste of my tax dollars. After that they probably went sleeping in the police car to sober up for the end of their shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles