U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 AM

394 posts, read 647,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbavegas View Post
Hey Scootertrash61
I have been seriously thinking about it seriously after reading all of the threads that all of you have been writing. and my wife and I have decided not to make the move.

Bubba
haven't been to this thread in a while, but your child may thank you for that decision someday....good luck bubba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 AM

394 posts, read 647,915 times
Quote:
Thank you so very much for your post, as all of you say I do consider my family is the most important thing in my life, if they are not happy I am not!
The come first and from the sounds of it, ELA is not the choice. From the many time that I have been there though it was not bad, from reading all of your posts I really need to just STOP thinking about that area all together.

But in my mind that is the problem in my of our cities, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, But if we continue to build millions and million of dollars of new homes, and forget the older neighborhoods that that need that money to improve the schools, playgrounds and the safety of that certian city, are we any better? Should we focus on the problem areas and fix them before we make more?
Just a open question to you all.
Bubba
very good point....but i still wouldn't move there

Old 10-28-2007, 07:25 AM

76 posts, read 122,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
There are some nice sections of Montebello. I don't know how good their schools are though. All housing is expensive here, even in East LA.
This is a late reply. I'm from the MUSD and just got apprised of the current situation there.

Here's the way the schools in MUSD break down. Schurr, up in the hills, is the "rich" school, but takes students all the way from East LA, east of Atlantic. They send kids to colleges, all the way up to the Ivys, regularly. Montebello is the more working class school, but they send kids up to the good schools too, just not as much. Bell Gardens is also working class, but moreso, and with a larger base of poor students, and they tend to do the worst, but they do try. Vail is the continuation school, where kids who are pulled out of the other schools are sent, as a last chance to reform.

In the past, MUSD was considered a very good district. Overall, the district faced a period of decline in the 90s, but some people say it has recently bounced back to compete with neighboring districts for more desirable families.

The numbers on greatschools indicate MUSD is average.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:23 PM

76 posts, read 122,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
is this what outsiders really beleive about the east side? anyhow, yes! visit for yourself and figure out what works and what doesnt. simple as that. i love east LA. cant wait for the gold extension premier!!!
This is something to consider about ELA. I believe the gold line train is, somewhat inequitably, going to be used to gentrify the northern side of ELA. Logically, the best place for the train would have been along the southern side, where there are a lot of working class people who take the 720 line, the busiest bus in LA. Instead, they are running it through the northern side, which is a little hilly, and is mostly houses. They don't really need this train for transportation.

The train will run past the new high schools in Boyle Heights, which will certainly have magnet programs within them. (The magnets are basically a "school within a school" for kids who really want to go to college.) So someone living along the train line will be able to choose from a number of eastside schools.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:39 AM

5,404 posts, read 7,779,416 times
what??? of course the people by the gold line will need it!! it is ALL working poor down here. it is going thru the poorest parts of town. are you confused with the gold line pasadena? the gold line extension is in the "northern" part of the east side, but it is still very accesible. many friends live closer or below whittier and walking to 3rd street via atlantic or eastern is not that bad of a walk. when it is on 1st street it will go thru BH, some of the worst parts of boyle heights. there is some redevelopment of 1st but i doubt you will have a bunch of yuppies flooding boyle heights and east los. all of us are stayin and fighting for our community. this sounds a bit paranoid. i think you might be a bit confused. it should have been the gold line thru the east side first and then the silly slow lil gold line extension thru pasadena. shake my fist at these planners!!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 PM

236 posts, read 764,745 times
Quote:
I hope you guys can help me by giving me some help!!!
My family and I want to relocate to East Los, I am hoping that you guys can give me some information, any type of information will be Great!!!!!

Thank you all so much
bubba
DON'T DO IT!!! Have you even been there???? I would strongly suggest a visit before making this decision...

Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prgm2000 View Post
Hi dusesean1986,

Greeting from the Northwoods of Wisconsin!!! You seem to know East L.A. !! I am writing a book that take place in the area. I need info! Where would a young girl go to college? Where is a major University, close to East L.A.
a good college in east l.a is east l.a college......is kool n great programs and opportunities n very flexible.... also a good univercity is cal state university attend there also .. and mobility wise there a bus from college 2 university n vise versa so is convivient if u dont have a car and many students take advantage of it ....especially cause the pricing of gas .......good luck ....born n raised in the heart of east l.a if need n e info......

Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,390 times
a good college in east l.a is east l.a college......is kool n great programs and opportunities n very flexible.... also a good univercity is cal state university attend there also .. and mobility wise there a bus from college 2 university n vise versa so is convivient if u dont have a car and many students take advantage of it ....especially cause the pricing of gas .......good luck ....born n raised in the heart of east l.a if need n e info......

Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,766,867 times
Hey bubbavegas

Have you ever considered moving to Florida

You might consider Gainesville, which is home to the Univ of Florida. We have good schools, clean, safe neighberhoods, affordable housing, diversity, clean air, awesome healthcare, low unemployment, no grafitti. I think we have a market for a Peruvian Restaurant. The Hispanic community is not as large as you might be accustomed to, but it is a varied mix. You, your wife would not experience racism in Gainesville. It is a progressive city. The Univ of Fl has students from all over the world. Also besides the Univ of Fl we have Santa Fe Community College which is one of the top CC's in America.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:52 PM

637 posts, read 2,009,409 times
Quote:
I hope you guys can help me by giving me some help!!!
My family and I want to relocate to East Los, I am hoping that you guys can give me some information, any type of information will be Great!!!!!

Thank you all so much
bubba
Learn to speak Spanish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles