Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,455 times

Advertisements

No sh*t. There are a few in WeHo too...and the Swish Alps (that's Silverlake to all you non-Angelenos). It's a free country. You are free to be quiet. Free to be loud. Free to be lazy and apparently free to be stupid. Don't most restaurant owners know who their clientele are?

Let's change the name to La Coyote, say we're sorry, have a two for one special (or Disco night) for all the fabulous ones, put some cute little umbrellas in the drinks and put this behind us.

I was with my in laws and wife and I said why not give the gays this right? Don't they have the same right to suffer like we heteros do? They really didn't find that funny. Grandma always said that you can laugh or cry and crying is going to come sure as we are here. I choose to laugh.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I was with my in laws and wife and I said why not give the gays this right? Don't they have the same right to suffer like we heteros do?
lol, That is funny

Old 11-14-2008, 12:45 PM

85 posts, read 295,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Actually, religious organizations do this type of boycotting all the time.

Remember how certain stores were being boycotted for carrying certain CD's a few years ago...
In case you didn't know there is a big difference between a boycott and a demonstration. Show me a demonstration against an establishment by those who supported prop 8.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika>Kimi View Post
In case you didn't know there is a big difference between a boycott and a demonstration. Show me a demonstration against an establishment by those who supported prop 8.
I am very aware of the differences between a boycott and a demonstation. I am also aware of the fact that supporters of prop 8 were made up of several religious groups.

I am also aware that through history, religious organizations have and will continue to boycott, threat to boycott, and demonstrate when influence, control, and suppression of their sheep is threatened.

Unfortunately, I don't think you understood the point of my original post. It seems that you are taking my general statement and trying to limit it to this specific proposition. If you are asking for a specific demonstration against an establishment by those same groups who supported prop 8, off the top of my head, I can think of the many cd burnings held in mall parking lots back in the 80s and 90s. They were both demonstations and boycotts.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Nearly half the state? LOL, you meant nearly half the votes cast were to retain same-sex marriage.

And you seem to be forgetting that over half the votes cast voted to retain the traditional definition of marriage.
You didn't understand my points, apparently.

First of all, if you don't vote, your opinion on the matter isn't recorded. So, yes, of course, I meant "votes cast". When the news organizations say "California voted for Obama", it's understood by most people that they're talking about the votes that were actually cast.

I'm not forgetting that over half the votes cast were to redefine marriage to being one man and one woman. My point was that the 48% who voted to retain same-sex marriage were not all gay, so this shouldn't be seen as a "gay versus straight" argument.

Hopefully you comprehend now.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
LOL, a "protected class of citizens"? And just what the hell is that? Certainly sounds pretty unequal already, if a "class of citizens" is already being singled out for special protection.
Yes. Special protection from discrimination. Just like protections based on skin color, religion, gender, and so on...

Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
It's fine to have protests and boycotts. I'm all for it. But remember- most of the people who voted for this prop were not Mormon or Black for that matter. I don't believe in distortion to suit your purposes. No matter how bad you want something.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
No sh*t. There are a few in WeHo too...and the Swish Alps (that's Silverlake to all you non-Angelenos). It's a free country. You are free to be quiet. Free to be loud. Free to be lazy and apparently free to be stupid. Don't most restaurant owners know who their clientele are?

Let's change the name to La Coyote, say we're sorry, have a two for one special (or Disco night) for all the fabulous ones, put some cute little umbrellas in the drinks and put this behind us.

I was with my in laws and wife and I said why not give the gays this right? Don't they have the same right to suffer like we heteros do? They really didn't find that funny. Grandma always said that you can laugh or cry and crying is going to come sure as we are here. I choose to laugh.
My gay friends & I cannot be bought so CHEAPLY!!! That mormon woman refused to apologize and showed no remorse in what she did. Many of us have gone there for years, spent some of our best times there. For that woman to do that to us was unthinkable. We will NEVER eat there again!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The protests at El Coyote could very well close the restaurant. Who would want to cross a picket line of gay activists just for a Mexican meal? Mormons all over California are being identified & boycotts are starting against their businesses.

This is a very effective message to anti-gay bigots

Proposition 8 protesters target businesses - Los Angeles Times
Just as you have shown yourself to be an anti-free speech/thought bigot?

Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,603 times
The protesters are retarded. The person at the restaurant who gave money is a manager there, it was not the owner.

On another note, the vibe I am getting from people is that they are tired of the attitude by the boycotters/protesters and their ilk, the abuse of mormons(many of whom didn't donate money) and others who have a right to think they the way they want to. Instead of trying to make people understand their point of view, they are fighting people who they should be trying to make friends with. These fools would get farther being nicer rather than aggressive and violent.
All I see is a bunch of self-righteous narcissists who think nobody else has a right to an opinion if it conflicts with the gay point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles