U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,426 times

Advertisements

I am married with two kids and my husband and I are seriously considering relocating to LA. We currently live in Minnesota but my husband is a musician and would greatly benefit from the music scene in LA. In addition, we need more sunshine in our lives- did I mention we hate the long cold bitter winters in MN! My concern is while LA is great for the entertainment industry I hear it is not so great for raising children. What communities in or around LA are safe and family friendly? I know traffic can be horrible so we don't want to be too far away from LA. It is also very important that we are by good schools (public or private), parks, other families with children, as well as a culturally diverse community. I have heard Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are family friendly, but I don't know much about Santa Monica and we have no desire to live a lavish lifestyle in Bev. Hills, plus my guess is that it's not diverse. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,256,580 times
If you insist on moving to LA, I would suggest Culver City. It's a lovely community that is family friendly, very pretty and a lot safer than LA. It's like an economy version of BH and SM. It's also close enough to the music scene that your husband should be able to participate without commuting issues.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:10 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,885,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyt View Post
I am married with two kids and my husband and I are seriously considering relocating to LA.

I hear it is not so great for raising children.

I know traffic can be horrible

It is also very important that we are by .... a culturally diverse community.
Have you ever been to Southern California for at least a week?

Rent or buy? Budget or price range?
What does diverse mean (to you)?
Will you be working too? What line of work?

Check this out for reference:

http://www.schoolperformancemaps.com/

Last edited by Charles; 11-16-2008 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 AM

373 posts, read 1,051,674 times
Where will you two be working? But first place to come to mind is South Pasadena. Good school district and people there are quite diverse.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 PM

419 posts, read 1,263,895 times
Here are threads that might help:

Need Advice on School in LA Area
Middle-class family relocating to L.A. area?...

My biased opinion is contained in at least one of the threads...

Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 PM

23 posts, read 59,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyt View Post
I am married with two kids and my husband and I are seriously considering relocating to LA. We currently live in Minnesota but my husband is a musician and would greatly benefit from the music scene in LA. In addition, we need more sunshine in our lives- did I mention we hate the long cold bitter winters in MN! My concern is while LA is great for the entertainment industry I hear it is not so great for raising children. What communities in or around LA are safe and family friendly? I know traffic can be horrible so we don't want to be too far away from LA. It is also very important that we are by good schools (public or private), parks, other families with children, as well as a culturally diverse community. I have heard Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are family friendly, but I don't know much about Santa Monica and we have no desire to live a lavish lifestyle in Bev. Hills, plus my guess is that it's not diverse. Any suggestions?
I'm in the same boat as you. Married with 2 kids but it's me interested in the industry, and not my husband. From all of the research I've done and the ppl I've spoken to, right now Burbank seems like a really good option for us. I've been told that their school system is pretty good and that overall it's a pretty family-friendly city. I'm not sure how close that is to the music scene as we're going out there for me to act and we're happy that we'll be near the studios but when we visited SoCal last year it seemed like Burbank was somewhat close to North Hollywood and that city had a very artsy vibe with a lot of local artists & musicians living there. Studio City also appeared to be a nice suburban area and we found some gorgeous apartments with some not-so-gorgeous rent prices that were out of our budget. But since you didn't mention what your budget is, then that may be an option for you. When are you guys trying to make the move?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,347,647 times
Burbank is a very good option. So is South Pasadena.... Burbank is closer to the entertainment industry, though, and MUCH cheaper than South Pas.

There are good school districts dotted all throughout LA. Mount Washington has a fantastic elementary school but the middle and high schools are not so good - gotta try for magnets after elem, or else go private. The map Charles recommended is must-read. For diversity - what kind of diversity are you thinking? Cultural, racial, all of the above? Almost anywhere in LA is going to be more diverse (in every dimension) than MN. It's just a fact.

Pasadena has a lot for families to do, and the private schools are great. Public schools are not so great in Pasadena. South Pasadena is a separate city, and has a wonderful public school system.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 AM

No- my husband has traveled there extensively but I have never been there- some of his friends live there and he has had meetings & shows thee several times a year. He knows the entertainment scene well but not much about raising kids there.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Have you ever been to Southern California for at least a week?

Rent or buy? Budget or price range?
What does diverse mean (to you)?
Will you be working too? What line of work?

Check this out for reference:

School Performance Maps

I want to buy but my husband rather rent until we are sure on where we want to live. I won't be working, just him. Although I am in the field of social work. So I will be raising our children and doing a lot of volunteering and advocacy. As far as income goes it is based on his record deal- Not sure what our exact income will be but we are positive money won't be a problem. Well over 200K/annually. For me, diverse means a mixture of cultures, races, ethnicity's, and personalities. Right now we live in a suburb in Minnesota- everyone is Caucasian. My son is the only "black" student in his class. Our family is racially diverse (German, French, Swiss, Irish, African American,& Nigerian). I want our children to experience the beauty of other cultures/people/beliefs.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousB View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Married with 2 kids but it's me interested in the industry, and not my husband. From all of the research I've done and the ppl I've spoken to, right now Burbank seems like a really good option for us. I've been told that their school system is pretty good and that overall it's a pretty family-friendly city. I'm not sure how close that is to the music scene as we're going out there for me to act and we're happy that we'll be near the studios but when we visited SoCal last year it seemed like Burbank was somewhat close to North Hollywood and that city had a very artsy vibe with a lot of local artists & musicians living there. Studio City also appeared to be a nice suburban area and we found some gorgeous apartments with some not-so-gorgeous rent prices that were out of our budget. But since you didn't mention what your budget is, then that may be an option for you. When are you guys trying to make the move?
We would like to move this summer...Sometime between May and July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles