Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

Hi,
A group of us want to go Santa Barbara to do some wine tasting, but need to be back in LA by 4. A couple of questions:
Is it doable as a quick day trip?
How bad will traffic be at 8am? and to return by 4pm? is it better to go at 7:30?
Are there any actual vineyards in Santa Barbara or only tasting rooms?
Any recommendations of where to go wine tasting in Santa Barbara?
Recommendations for a place to take out sandwiches from so we can eat at a winery?
Where is the closest place we can go to get a tour of the wine-making process...

Is Temecula a better option?

Wow, that's alot of questions.... I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:03 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABCgal View Post
Hi,
A group of us want to go Santa Barbara to do some wine tasting, but need to be back in LA by 4. A couple of questions:
Is it doable as a quick day trip?
How bad will traffic be at 8am? and to return by 4pm? is it better to go at 7:30?
Are there any actual vineyards in Santa Barbara or only tasting rooms?
Any recommendations of where to go wine tasting in Santa Barbara?
Recommendations for a place to take out sandwiches from so we can eat at a winery?
Where is the closest place we can go to get a tour of the wine-making process...

Is Temecula a better option?

Wow, that's alot of questions.... I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Oh not Temecula, stick to Santa Barbara. Fess Parker is the only wine tasting I've ever been to in Santa Barbara and the whole business seems to have evolved even more since the last time I visted which was a while back

There are lots of other wine tastings and vinyards in SB, just google. Are you going on a week day or weekend? Will make a difference to your journey. Leaving at 8am on a weekend will probarbly make your ETA approx. 9.15 - 9.30...again I haven't made the trip since 2004 and the 101 I hear is worse than ever. Sandwiches? A bit of a no brainer you can pick them up at numerous places on Cabrillo, State St, etc.

You'll have enough time for a tour and wine tasting but if you have to be back at 4pm, it might all be a little rushed. Would be nice to include other things after the winery visit.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Raggy dee Ann; 11-23-2008 at 08:33 AM..

Old 11-23-2008, 06:36 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I love it when people from other countries answer questions like this.

The time frame you've given yourself is doable, but I don't know if it would be worth the trip. It's a 2-3 hour drive in both directions. The best place to go wine tasting is actually in Los Olivos which is about 45 min north of Santa Barbara. There are several winerys next to each other across from Fess Parkers Hotel and Spa. Becasue Santa Barbara County is wine country, there are places to wine taste all over the county but the highest concentration of in the Santa Ynez Valley where Los Olivos is. There's some wine tasting in Santa Ynez, Los Alamos and Solvang as well. The heaviest traffic you'll hit will be through the city of Santa Barbara itself. Once you get through there it should be smooth sailing until you hit Ventura then you may be in typical LA traffic.

Have fun.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 AM

My faux pas. I was judging distance from where I would start my journey which was my home Sherman Oaks and within 5 mins from the 101 on ramp. I could do it easily in 1 1/2 hours although it's taken longer on occassions. Coming from LA proper, like Hancock Park or down town, it would be much longer. It's been 4 years since I made that trip hence why I made the following statement.

Quote:
Leaving at 8am on a weekend will probarbly make your ETA approx. 9.15 - 9.30...again I haven't made the trip since 2004 and the 101 I hear is worse than ever.
You really need to get over what bugs you about me. Your comment regarding living in another country just, shows your ignorance and pettiness.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 AM

To the OP google is your best friend and you will find places that provide lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles