Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions from long time Los Angeles area resident on major changes in the area over last 20-30 years pros and cons, what changes will occur in next 20-30 years

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,140 times

Advertisements

For you people that have lived in LA for some time now say 20-30 years, what are some of the major changes you have seen throughout the city and county? Both pros and cons?

Also how do you see the city changing again in the next 20-30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
LA will be like the great city of Sao Paolo, Brazil in 15 years. (Portuguese will not be primary language although) Obrigado!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
The spawl that the whole region has faced in the last 20 years or so is now finally slowing, if not stopping to all together. LA, the city, has become quite a bit safer and the stigma that was once attached to it seems to be fading. Many neighborhoods that were once dilapidated and rotting are being taken back by the middle class. Due to the high cost of oil and concern for the environment, many people are beginning to question the need for automobiles. This same fact has also helped start a movement to increase the amount of public transportation offered in the region.

The downside to all of this is that there is so much bureaucracy in the city that it takes forever to get anything accomplished. For such a liberal, open minded city, the people who live here seem afraid to do anything against the status quo. I think the younger populations are beginning to change this mindset, but it is happening slowly. I think the city understands that as long as they keep the city "good enough", then people will still flock here for the jobs, the entertainment, and the famous socal lifestyle. I think the city should be aiming for excellence and not mediocrity, but there is just so much BS that our politicians have to get through, this goal seems nearly impossible.

With that said, I'd imagine that the next 20-30 years will be pretty much the same as the past 20-30 years: Increased population, limited progress. But, we may finally have that subway to the sea, maybe.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
I agree with BRinSM. The big change of the last 10 years is that there are no longer any new suburbs being created within commuting distance of central LA. It used to be that the rich and poor lived in the center of the city and the middle-class lived on the suburbs. Now, that pattern is beginning to change, but, I can't predict what the outcome of that will be.

But, there are definitely some neighborhoods that were left to rot 20 years ago that are now getting some attention from the city and from the city and from developers: Hollywood, Downtown, and maybe Exposition Park.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
LA's decentralized model of urban growth, where an alleged central "Downtown" is fairly irrelevant to region's economy and daily life of most residents, is arguably the most efficient urban growth model in any dynamic capitalist economy like that of US, where overall COL is much lower and daily QOL much higher than comparable EU/Asian cities....new houses, cars and fuel are much cheaper in US than anywhere else in world....and risk of criminal street violence of US' cities and poorer, older suburbs (which periodically spikes when economy is in deep recession) makes LA's car-based culture the safest, most civilized culture vs the mass transit culture of lesser, more primitive regions, like NYC or ex-US urban regions....

Decentralized growth model is also seen in comparable powerful economies like SiliconValley (where City of SF is merely an upscale residential suburb for young SiliconValley workers w/o kids)....or NYC region, where prob 30-40% of the region's billionaires live and work in suburban Greenwich and rarely visit Manhattan, except for occasional business dinners

Most cos. prefer to be located in lower-tax, lower-cost areas of an urban region, close to the safer, more spacious suburbs (w/often newer houses and closer to decent private schools) where most executives w/families prefer to live....ironically, most affluent in regions like LA often have <20min drives to their office...and many middle-income people live and work in Irvine area...or live and work in 1000 Oaks area, etc...and enjoy similarly effortless daily commutes

Well-run cos. will continue to move low-skill jobs to lower-tax, lower-cost regions like suburban Dallas/Houston....it makes little sense to have many low-wage workers in high-cost regions like LA or SiliconValley

Not sure regions like LA or NYC will expand much more than their current some 18MM populations (of each region)....taxes, costs, hassles will likely keep population stagnant or declining, as cos. and jobs are moved to lower-cost regions....many underestimate how efficient cos. need to be, esp in a more difficult, more globalized, more virtual economy, when profit margins come under pressure and more work is easily done from cheaper locales around US and RoW

Anecdotally, find that vs early '90s, LA traffic flows notably quicker on the major freeways; air is notably cleaner....and just like early '90s, house prices are in free-fall, making LA more affordable....but suspect taxes will increase until affluent taxpayers and business owners begin to threaten to relocate out of CA...

Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Traffic is much worse than it was 20 years ago
Major Development of the West Side/Santa Monica Business Districts
Sprawl and increased commutes due to real estate pricing increases.
Increased immigration has progressively become more apparent in LA lifestyle
Roadways & quality of repairs/repaving have progressively deteriorated.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Thirty years ago evening traffic went from the San Fernando Valley into the Conejo Valley. Today it is the opposite. Traffic is much worse eastbound in the afternoons. Why? I think 30 years ago the Conejo Valley was a bedroom community for the Valley and maybe LA. Today there are more jobs (101 Tech Corridor, Amgen, Teradyne, Farmers, Dole) in the Conejo Valley and the Oxnard Plain to which people in the SFV commute.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,190 times
Traffic is much worse.

Lots of new immigrants.

Definitely safer.

Native whites are mostly gone.

City seems divided and without a common identity.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:06 AM

293 posts, read 893,152 times
Unhappy For living here for so long...

The only change that I haven't see is that it hasn't stopped changing. I wish I can keep up with the changes around here, it seems my adaptability is declining.

But its all good... it keeps me in my toes with all the dodo around here. Then again, you'll get used to it.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM

258 posts, read 1,650,371 times
LA will become an official suburb of .............. Mexico City!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles