Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 26,191 times

Advertisements

I just graduated college, from an expensive private university and owe an insane amount of money in loans. It has been six months and I am still unemployed. Every job that I find that seems perfect for me, but by the time I get to the bottom of the job announcement, I am slapped in the face with "must be bilingual Spanish" or "bilingual Spanish preferred." Ahhhh! This is for over 75% of the jobs. The other 25% you must have tons of experience and even that is valued over education.

I don't know what to do anymore. I decided to go into social services to help people, but I cannot do that unless I speak Spanish? So, people give me the typical response, "Didn't you learn in school?" Okay, well the three years of Spanish courses I took in school hardly qualify me as fluent or bilingual. That (textbook Spanish)is not what people are speaking on the streets. Furthermore, I should not be forced to learn or speak any language to get a job unless it was my decision to move to a country with an official language other than English. Of have I been under a rock and our official language is now Spanish?

Should I just give up and leave Southern California? It's my home and I love it very much, over 5 generations born here. But, I don't know if I can take anymore. I am so frustrated. I do not want to leave my family but I am extremely depressed about this situation. And lets not even get into the real estate out here. At this rate, I'll never be able to move out of my parents' house. Do I have to leave the area I was born and raised in and love just to make a better living? Any sugguestions, personal experiences, etc. are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Unfortunately, anyone in the social services job market is going to be required to speak Spanish as you've already discovered. I think that's because the majority of the poverty stricken people in L.A. are now Spanish speaking. Latinos are the majority in Los Angeles, after all.

What area of social services is your degree in, just out of curiosity? Because I'm a little surprised that you're running up against this Spanish speaking requirement only now. Did you do any internships while you were studying for your degree? Or did you go to school somewhere else where it wasn't an issue?

I wish I could be more helpful.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,902 times
wave,

it's not that difficult to learn spanish. If that's your only problem, then go take a class and learn the language. Gives you something to do while your unemployed.

Artie

Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 PM

208 posts, read 979,761 times
live where you want to live - with determination you can make it work

Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
wow that sucks for you. thats how i felt when i was trying to get jobs and they required another language, other than english or spanish. i thought i could help pilipinos, koreans, ethiopians, but hey sometimes the people from those cultures know how to help them better than i do, at least lingusitically. only suggestion i have is to keep on looking for a job. somehting will come up, but of course it helps when you know someone who can push your resume along.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 AM

252 posts, read 1,127,581 times
multiculturalism is killing the culture that matters most here... and I'm an immigrant.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Have you considered being self employed? I live in West Palm Beach and have been unable to find a job worth anything so I started the self employment route recently and my friend is gonna help me make around $40k a year with tips and advice.

The difference is I am unhappy living in West Palm Beach. Are you happy living in LA or not? Is there anywhere else you could see yourself living in? Would you ever be able to afford a decent house in a "safe" neighboorhood in LA(probably over half million $$$$) There are many good locations. You could even live in a suburb of LA or a different part of CA or move to another state. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post
multiculturalism is killing the culture that matters most here... and I'm an immigrant.
This is nothing new. Try working in the early 20th Century New York City. The same thing would have happened.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Unfortunately, anyone in the social services job market is going to be required to speak Spanish as you've already discovered. I think that's because the majority of the poverty stricken people in L.A. are now Spanish speaking. Latinos are the majority in Los Angeles, after all.

What area of social services is your degree in, just out of curiosity? Because I'm a little surprised that you're running up against this Spanish speaking requirement only now. Did you do any internships while you were studying for your degree? Or did you go to school somewhere else where it wasn't an issue?

I wish I could be more helpful.
A little aside: my last two girlfriends were Latina, of Mexican ancestry. We used to joke about how I'm bilingual and they couldn't speak Spanish.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:43 PM

9 posts, read 26,191 times
SandyCo: My degree is in psychology and sociology. Unfortunately, was not aware of this because there are poverty stricken people of all ethnicities. I started out premed and did all medical internships rather than social service. It was my senior year that I decided I wanted to do social service work rather than healthcare.

Artichoke3: I know it's not that difficult to learn Spanish and I took 3 years. But, like I said in my original post, what is taught in schools is not what is being spoken on the streets. Plus, I should not be forced to learn Spanish to get a job. I could see myself learning French if I move to France or Chinese if I move to China. I should not HAVE to learn Spanish.

Need Affordable Home: I have considered self-employment. However, since I'm entry-level I need to start somewhere first.

To everyone with positive advice and support, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles