U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,041,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
My wife and I live comfortably on one income (less than $100k) and even manage to help some people who are worse off than us.
Ditto. The portrayal of Los Angeles as a city of crushingly poor or ridiculously wealthy (and nothing in-between) is laughable and unreal. I make less than $100k and give to FOLAR, Big Brothers, LA Conservancy, LASPCA. I am also a member of LACMA and the Natural History Museum. And I live on the Eastside, or what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,385,410 times
Yeah I'm pretty middle class, and unless I do something drastic I'll be there for a while.

My partner and I combined make around 70K. Even with debt we get by, we're making some sacrifices now, but once the debt is gone we'll be living pretty comfortably.

I predict in a few years things will get better, not just our situation but the overall economy and area as well. With the economy shrinking I think that will curb some of the immigration, house prices will go down and coming out of this recession will look pretty bright.

I think L.A. is a unique city and it has some good but it also has some bad. But all cities do.

If you have that many doubts about a place then why go?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 PM

412 posts, read 1,074,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
Where do you live?
If this is meant for me, we live in the supposedly too-expensive-for-regular-people Silver Lake.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 PM

25,272 posts, read 15,440,892 times
Quote:
If this is meant for me, we live in the supposedly too-expensive-for-regular-people Silver Lake.
Well, if you want to buy a house in SL, it's still mostly too-expensive-for-regular-people.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:02 PM

1,020 posts, read 673,584 times
Quote:
That thread was meant for you and I appreciate your forthright answer.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:56 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,970,741 times
ok ill bite.

LA is great. i dont make more than 100K or 150k(the minimum for a family )

i do more than survive, i thrive in LA. as do the kids.

the weather is great, altho we could have more rainy days.

the pollutions is dreary sometimes. but windy and rainy days take that all away! (but its still not as bad as the 80's)

the traffic is a mess somedays, but if you can navigate the city on surface streets you will be fine.

and mass transit does exist. except if you live 20+ miles out of DT. then its hit and miss.
but i rely on PT for a lot of things(live within 5mi of DTLA). its possible.

as for regular people living here... lots do. my LAPD folks do live in the city. in up and coming areas, in established neighborhoods. i got teacher friends and they are able to have their own apts. some even have their own homes.

its is possible. it all comes down to money mngmnt. thats it really.

dont beleive the hype, there are plenty of people who live in LA and dont need to stack themselves 12 deep to a garage.

there are a lot of myths.

the
thriving
one

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
The only place I'd live outside of TX is CA.

I've visited but never lived in L.A.

Often, here in Houston or when I was in law school, I meet people who are from L.A. or lived there. Everyone seems to hate living in the city! Maybe it's a biased sample because it is mostly people who are looking to get out but still.

The complains I hear are 1) horrible pollution 2) ridiculous cost of living for not very high q.o.l; 3) horrendous traffic, no mass transit, 4) illegals flooding the entire place.

Is it really that bad? I kind of like the idea of living in L.A. but I'm not sure if I'd be happy since I'm used to a certain quality of life.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:13 PM

2,831 posts, read 3,392,269 times
It's funny how the media continues to report on the housing bust/implosion in LA.

Sure it's terrible if you bought at the top, but like today in the la times. The median home drops below $300 k. Isn't that good news for quality of life and enjoying LA? Instead of being stressed about buying a $700 k home you can't afford. And you wonder why people are ditching newspapers. Does this make any sense?

Home prices could probably go down 50-55%. And eventually the economy will turn, and like harbar...immigration might get curbed, and after the recession things could look bright. I don't know. But alot of people are enjoying la though.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:13 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,672,110 times
People who say they are living well in the more expensive areas of the city making a low income generally have lived there for a while. My mother has lived in her place for 8 years and pays $800 for a one bedroom apartment (thank God for rent control). A new neighbor moved in the same type of unit for $1300.

Most people in LA do not make $100K. The average is $40K.

Most people who use mass transit are kids, can't afford a car or are from back east where Public Transportation is a way of life. I use it to go to work but it's only one bus and only a 20 minute ride. But it's so unreliable that now that it's cold I will be driving to work and paying $100 - $200 poer month to park until the weather warms up.

There is a program in LA to assist teachers in buying a home. That's how most of them buy these days. The program allows teachers (and police officers) to biy a home for 50% of the asking price. Contrary to what transplants who make six figures want you to believe, the average person can barely afford rent, let alone purchase a home. (Evidenced by high rate of foreclosures and evictions)

The biggest problem is that there are so many illegals willing to work for little to no money that employers are not willing to pay what a person needs to comfortably live in this city without a financial partner.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 PM

25,272 posts, read 15,440,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
And you wonder why people are ditching newspapers.
People are "ditching newspapers" because they're getting their news on the internet, not because they're ditching news organizations.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
People who say they are living well in the more expensive areas of the city making a low income generally have lived there for a while. My mother has lived in her place for 8 years and pays $800 for a one bedroom apartment (thank God for rent control). A new neighbor moved in the same type of unit for $1300.

Most people in LA do not make $100K. The average is $40K.

Most people who use mass transit are kids, can't afford a car or are from back east where Public Transportation is a way of life. I use it to go to work but it's only one bus and only a 20 minute ride. But it's so unreliable that now that it's cold I will be driving to work and paying $100 - $200 poer month to park until the weather warms up.

im neither one of those, and i have plenty of friends who are like me and ride the rails/bus.

you really need to stop making generalizations about LA transit.
i use it everyday and the majority of people who use it are not kids. and are not from back east. get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles