Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:42 PM

147 posts, read 383,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
You know, the funny thing is... everyone who has answered this thread is telling the truth - even though they seem to be contradicting each other. LA is all these things and more. It isn't some teeny tiny town where a blanket generalization will work for the whole place.
Drive around and take a look for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 02:06 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Wow, didn't know it actually existed. Or at the very least I didn't actually think it'd be 50%.

I know a lot of programs now, as probably mentioned earlier, have been kicked to the curb for the time being. At least until the credit crunch is over.
Well, as I mentioned, the link no longer works -- so it's possible that the program has been (at least temporarily) discontinued. Dunno .....

Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM

142 posts, read 272,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So true. You really can find whatever you want someone in the L.A. area.

I'm reminded of this as I'm having a discussion in another category about public displays of affection. The small town people are all having a tizzy about people who display affection in public. Can you imagine living in L.A. and getting upset about two people kissing in public?!
depends on what u mean by kissing just a quick kiss no but someone kissing for about an hour and gropping each other is upseting specially when u are with kids. probably not in a club but at a kids movie yes a chuckeches at mcdonalds yes

And you cant generalize LA it simply is to big to be generalized theres the ghettos the hills, downtown,holliwood and even the beach areas u get a little of everithing

Last edited by EDDIEISTAZ; 12-20-2008 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-20-2008, 05:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIEISTAZ View Post
depends on what u mean by kissing just a quick kiss no but someone kissing for about an hour and gropping each other is upseting specially when u are with kids. probably not in a club but at a kids movie yes a chuckeches at mcdonalds yes
Well, yes, of course. I just mean that you could go to a public park in L.A., for example, and probably see two people being affectionate with each other, whereas in small towns, that type of behavior would not be seen as much.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raul View Post
Drive around and take a look for yourself.
You drive around and take a look for yourself - there is a whole lot of variety here. What people experience as the norm in one place is just not the same as the norm in another place - even within a fairly small sampling of LA county. The population mix, the public transportation options, job market, safety, availability/affordability of housing, nightlife, you name it - it is all different, all over the place. Take a look around - it's a wonder to behold. They call it a world-class city for a reason, dude.

While I'm at it.... Not every place in LA is overrun by illegals, either. Or graffiti or trash. Not every place is image-driven or fake. Not every place has fresh air, or bad air, or good or bad traffic. The variety is amazing.

When CESpeed tells of her experiences, I believe her. I also believe nickdahammer and the one. They are all genuine LA voices telling of their life in this very large, varied metropolis. I have learned a lot from all of them, and many others. They've kept me from making costly missteps in my relocation here. (Thanks guys)

Old 12-20-2008, 08:39 PM

I'm glad you can draw some good elements from living in L.A.

I grew up in the greater Los Angeles Basin, and it has become a world class ghetto, comparable to third world nations.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, yes, of course. I just mean that you could go to a public park in L.A., for example, and probably see two people being affectionate with each other, whereas in small towns, that type of behavior would not be seen as much.

Any where in the world other than oppressed society's you can see people holding hands and kissing.

What's the relevance whether it's more prominent in one part of the country compared to another?

What is the relevance?

Old 12-26-2008, 10:59 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Cool Truth

Only two choices? Los Angeles has as many (I believe more) positives as negatives. I moved here shortly after the 1992 riots, it didn't stop me then, and the current state of the City doesn't dishearten me now. In fact, moving here turned out to be a pretty smart move: I did well by moving closer to work and making use of public transit.

And I wouldn't call Highland Park, where I do most of my shopping and dining, a gentrified area. If you look at pictures of North Figueroa in the 1930's, if is pretty much the same worn, working class street it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raul View Post
Either you are totally out of touch with reality or you haven't been gentrified.

Southern California use to be nice, but the traffic always sucks, rarely do you see a pristine day, the beaches are overcrowded, the housing costs are not inline with the actual median incomes. Houses going for over $500,000 in El Monte, get real.

The only thing L.A. has going for it is it's underground economy where you can always find a job and rent a room during hard times, but then again most people have been living through hard times in L.A. making $15 a hour. You just don't hear about it very much in the media or sites like this. Who would want to move here if they really knew the truth?

The quality of life in L.A. even when compared to Texas a state of 24 million sucks.

BTW, things are going to get much worse, especially for those who have to adjust, after prospering on the back of the largest ponzi scheme in the history of mankind which has just collapsed on a global scale.

Enjoy your posh overvalued homes while you can, I may end up buying it.

Last edited by nickdahammer; 12-26-2008 at 11:48 AM..

Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Only two choices? Los Angeles has as many (I believe more) positives as negatives.
LA has only 1 real negative; too many people. All other negatives come from this.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:16 AM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Ditto. The portrayal of Los Angeles as a city of crushingly poor or ridiculously wealthy (and nothing in-between) is laughable and unreal. I make less than $100k and give to FOLAR, Big Brothers, LA Conservancy, LASPCA. I am also a member of LACMA and the Natural History Museum. And I live on the Eastside, or what it's worth.
Me too. I live comfortably and can donate to charities. I consider myself middle class. That said, LA can be a difficult place to live for the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles