Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times

Advertisements

The Lakers & NBA are more exciting than the Dodgers & baseball in my opinion, however I have never been to professional basketball game but have been to Dodger Stadium many times.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:09 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I havent been to a Dodger game in...20 years? A long time. I have no interest in baseball after the strike of '94, it just isn't the same.

Similar with basketball, but the lakers keep things interesting. Who can forget their epic battle with the Kings in 2002? Those kinds of games keep you interested. Flopping Vlade, haha.

Dodgers are more of a family team. They're more accessible. More history. More tradition. Dodger blue has more tradition than laker yellow and gold I think. It's close. But Dodger blue, that's LA.

Vin Scully and Chick Hern...boy, that'd be tough to pick. Dare I say, Vin Scully is more LA?

But two great teams.

The lakers have only had a little bit of a dry spell, the randy pfund days, post showtime, pre shaq/kobe. But for 30+ years, they've been consistently good. The Dodgers don't have that. Kirk Gibson would be like Robert Horry. But then add....magic, kareem, shaq, kobe, worthy.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:27 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times
How much of this Dodger history people keep referencing actually took place in Los Angeles? Sure there is Jackie Robinson and Ebbetts Field, but those were the Brooklyn days. When you consider the number of great players to come through the NBA over the years the Lakers (the L.A. version) are disporportionately represented. Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlian, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, James Worthy and Gail Goodrich are all Hall of Famers. Shaquille O'neal and Kobe Bryant are on their way.

When you consider their places in their respective leagues I think LA's verison of the Lakers is more significant than LA's version of the Dodgers.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 13,516 times
Lakers have obviously been more successful, but the Dodgers have a deeper and richer history.

Los Angeles has for the most part tried to forget Minneapolis, while it still remembers and embraces Brooklyn. The Celtics-Laker rivalry is a rivalry created and deeply rooted in the 80s, and was resurrected just this last year. The Giants-Dodgers rivalry? Ha, that dates back to the early 1900s back when both teams were in New York playing for Brooklyn and Manhattan. Both teams move to Cali and the rivalry was still just as strong, and has existed from then to this day.

Dodgers will always be L.A.'s team. Dodgertown>Lakers.

I'm a hockey fan #1, so the Kings will probably always be my favorite, but the Dodgers are very very close. Lakers? Not everyone can root for a team like the Lakers. Kobe is a huge turn-off with his arrogant and fake personality. I get sick and tired of his interviews because it's like he's always acting. It also seems that the rest of the team is full of idiots, too.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
How much of this Dodger history people keep referencing actually took place in Los Angeles? Sure there is Jackie Robinson and Ebbetts Field, but those were the Brooklyn days. When you consider the number of great players to come through the NBA over the years the Lakers (the L.A. version) are disporportionately represented. Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlian, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, James Worthy and Gail Goodrich are all Hall of Famers. Shaquille O'neal and Kobe Bryant are on their way.

When you consider their places in their respective leagues I think LA's verison of the Lakers is more significant than LA's version of the Dodgers.
A Dodger is always a Dodger. You'd be surprised how many people back on the East Coast still root for the Dodgers. And of course there will always be those people that would love to resurrect W. O'Malley just so they could have the chance to end his life.

If Hearn was still alive, no doubt would the Lakers be my number one, but Stu Lantz and Joel Meyers make those games really hard to watch. Scully on the other hand, I will cry the day he dies.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apps View Post
The Celtics-Laker rivalry is a rivalry created and deeply rooted in the 80s,
Created? No way.

(images not protected by copyright)

Lakers and Celtics NBA Championship History

Year Winner Series
1959 Boston Celtics 4–0
1962 Boston Celtics 4–3
1963 Boston Celtics 4–2
1965 Boston Celtics 4–1
1966 Boston Celtics 4–3
1968 Boston Celtics 4–2
1969 Boston Celtics 4–3
1984 Boston Celtics 4–3
1985 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2
1987 Los Angeles Lakers 4–2
2008 Boston Celtics 4–2

Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apps View Post
Kobe is a huge turn-off with his arrogant and fake personality. I get sick and tired of his interviews because it's like he's always acting. It also seems that the rest of the team is full of idiots, too.
I havent seen a kobe interview in a while. But, he was always imitating Michael Jordan in his interviews.

Like he studied every Michael Jordan interview, and decided, yep, that's how I'm going to talk when I become a star. He looked so fake and plastic. Like...the next word out of my mouth...."yeah (deep voice), this is how Jordan talks." Lame for a 30 year old player...

Old 12-22-2008, 11:01 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times
Thanks Charles. The Celtic/Laker rivalry goes back to the 1950s. And how does Kobe imitate Micheal Jordan in interviews? Does Micheal have some kind of patent on answering questions a certain way? That claim is baseless. Say what you want about Kobe, but he sure isn't a turn off in Asia. He was the most popular basketball player in China at the Olympics. Heck, when Team USA played China Kobe got a louder ovation than Yao Ming.

I think part of this debate is generational. The older generations played baseball as their past time. In their youth it was the most popular sport. The younger generation grew up on more football and basketball. Baseball's popularity has dropped significantly over the last decade or so. This defintely plays a role in people's opinions. People either love the Lakers or hate them. But at least the Lakers still get a rise out of people. I find folks to be pretty apathetic about the Dodgers.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:39 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
girl thats the 80's look, which permeated the 90's a bit, but now only the vets and some kids look like that. you still have some vets wearing pendletons and fedoras, but that dont mean its the all around style.
its not as prominent as it once was. i see plenty of thugs and cholos every day! and now its more of an "urban" [read as hippity hop) look. raider hats?!?! they sport LA (dodgers) ones. and sometimes none in order to show off the nice new F13 tat stamped on the back of their head.
cholo life aint what it used to be like in the 80's or 90's. the funny thing is that the "look" was exported to mexico and other countries and thats really who you see flossing this style. the new thugs, they aint dressing like that. some do, but not really. i see them on a daily. on the bus. on the corner. this i know.

but im sure you see lots of thugs and cholos in your neighborhood...

live
from
florence
and
graham

still no cholos wearing nike cortez' (what you know about that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Not ignorant. I am VERY well informed on these things. It IS standard gang attire. Raider hat, Raider shirt, cut off dickies, knee high tube socks, shaved heads, Chuck Taylors......all are part of the "package".

Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
are we talking about success or fan loyalty.

because the dodger fans, win or lose, show up. consistently. they can come off the worst season and opening day will still be sold out.

the lakers are the showtime glitzy hollywood prop. the dodgers are the true backbone of LA sports. they have some of the most loyal fans, with out the hollywood hype, "current affair" gossip, and psuedo rap battles.

lakers are hollywood. it was no suprise when shaq came that he started acting. he was all part of that "industry" madness that adds to the fairweather fandom. people like to see a show. and that does not always include being loyal fans. that just means you like to know the latest gossip. which laker girl kobe is cheating on vanessa with. what shaq had to say about kobe. in the post shaq/kobe era we are seeing some good bkball, but the atmosphere is still more media circus than genuine fan loyalty.

now clippers fans... we have to be some loyal folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles