Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

Day 3 in Los Angeles. Prior to moving here I did my research, and also ignored the warnings so many gave me because my friend here assured me I'd be able to find work. Well 3 days is not long enough to make any kind of assumptions, but I have been told "We are not accepting applications" over 70 times now! Seriously, that's the count as of right now.
I have been filling out various online apps, in store (when they let me). I am not too thrilled with my new hometown so far. Good thing my landlord back in the midwest is holding my apt for a couple months. Looking pretty grim here so far, just wanted to let anyone know that that's coming here looking for work. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 PM

419 posts, read 1,449,458 times
Posting your resume online is like playing scratch lottery tickets... you can get a few nibbles, but it is mostly a waste of time. NETWORK. There are firms that are hiring -- not a lot, but a few are. NETWORK. Meet with temp agencies, recruiters, HR staffers. Go to LinkedIn and find people that are in HR or are hiring managers and meet just for coffee or breakfast. NETWORK. Get your face and name out there, let people know you're here, don't put the hard luck/hard sell on 'em, and plant lots of seeds. Canvas the area - hit up the San Fernando Valley, the westside, downtown, San Gabriel Valley, foothills, Long Beach. Attend job fairs and be the sharpest, most attractive candidate there. Network with local colleges (community colleges + universities) and talk to folks in the career center -- find out when the employers are coming to town for the college job fair and get access to their job private job boards (most schools limit to current / former students, but ask).

Use the online job boards just to get a sense of who is hiring, then use your network to find the actual hiring manager or the direct number of the recruiter. Did you spend 4 hours on your resume? Too little time! Scrub it - ask friends who actually care enough to tell the truth and scrutinize EVERY WORD. Linkedin.com, indeed.com ... these are the tools you will use to find the people that are hiring.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Depends what line of work you are looking for I guess:

Jobs go begging at Northrop Grumman in Southern California - Los Angeles Times

I got 600 hits for Engineering jobs in California from

Northrop Grumman Job Search (http://careers.northropgrumman.com/ExternalHorizonsWeb/getQuery.do - broken link)

and when I combine that LA Times article with this one

Southern California real estate prices have fallen off a cliff - Los Angeles Times

things might start getting interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles