Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 PM

206 posts, read 1,075,748 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Edwardius, that is very helpful info. That makes sense that people meet in their apt buildings, no driving needed.

I didn't know that the "beautiful people" of Manhattan and redondo beaches are the fake ****, never even knew that existed. Are the Westwood, Brentwood people more real, at least real bodies? Not normally a concern of mine but LA is strange.

I don't think most decent men would have any cosmetic job done on them, do they? Is this a joke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,884,131 times
A student intern in our office was living with her boyfriend in Manhattan Beach who had pec implants. She was one who told me about it and she was also trying to encourage me to undertake the procedure. (I didn't)

Butt, calf, pec, bicep, tricep, and breast implants performed by leading surgeon

The tone in my past post, probably exaggerated the situation somewhat. But the beach communities definitely attract a disportionate number of the highly vain.

People in West LA definitely consider themselves more intellectual. There probably is more pressure to be fit in LA than elsewhere in part because the climate is pleasant year round and people are active year round. But in my experience you are less likely to see the totally over the top stuff like pec implants in Santa Monica or Brentwood that you might see in the beach communities.

My first experience when I came to LA was I thought if it as giant Fresno. Its spread out, a lot of it seems kind of suburban. I hated all of the traffic. But the longer you are in LA, it grows on you. You start stumbling across things in the area you really like, and you find people doing pretty interesting things.

A lot of LA is pretty suburban, I still hate the traffic. But after a while, when you go elsewhere, you realise you can no longer leave LA, there would be too much you would miss if you left it behind. LA makes a bad first impression, but it leaves behind a much better lasting impression.

There is so much to do here. So many people are doing really interesting things, sometimes super specialized. It seems like what ever your interest there probably is some group really passionate about it and willing to take it mch further than you thought was possible. The tricky thing is find that group. But in the process of looking, you might stumble across something else that is very interesting too.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:44 AM

77 posts, read 302,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
LA seems a harder place to meet people than NYC because of the driving and it seems people are more self-centered (maybe not more than NYC) than elsewhere.
Female transplants have a much greater chance for meeting someone than a male transplant. To some men, there's nothing better than showing the new girl in town around the neighborhood (especially if you're cute). Even the average girl will fair okay if she's friendly and outgoing.

Quote:
Have that stopped you from forming good new relationships in LA?
Good relationships (as in stable)??? Now your asking for a lot....LOL. This is LA LA Land. Drama Queen capital and home to The Dr. Phil Show.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:37 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,034,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angel View Post
Good relationships (as in stable)??? Now your asking for a lot....LOL. This is LA LA Land. Drama Queen capital and home to The Dr. Phil Show.
I'm a transplant. Lived in LA 5 years. Met a few fun girls along the way.

Met my wonderful wife in year 3. She's everything a man could ask for and more.

But then again, she's a transplant too.

There is a lot of nonsense in LA. Immigrants (both transplants within the US, and immigrants to the US) seem to be the best population in LA in which to look for people who are serious relationship material, IMO.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:23 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,495,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angel View Post
This is LA LA Land. Drama Queen capital and home to The Dr. Phil Show.

Not necessarily directed to the OP or anyone in particular, but........

You'll fair a lot better here if you avoid using the phrase "la la land"

LA Natives don't "la la". Transplants who watch beverly hills 90210, the hills, the OC, and housewives of OC whatever precondition themselves for that unrealistic non-reality. Thus when they get here, confused, lost, and discover they are the same person as they were back home etc say "la la"

If you come to los angeles for a purpose that is productive, are productive in a postive way both to yourself and the community, you will most likely meet similar people.

If your here because your running away from somewhere/someone/or yourself, you may meet people but most likely only brief aquaintances or those that are running themselves.

The same holds true for native Californians that have moved to your home town for some unknown reason.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:33 PM

77 posts, read 302,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I'm a transplant. Lived in LA 5 years. Met a few fun girls along the way.
Met my wonderful wife in year 3. She's everything a man could ask for and more.
But then again, she's a transplant too.
My hat is off to you. You've done well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
There is a lot of nonsense in LA. Immigrants (both transplants within the US, and immigrants to the US) seem to be the best population in LA in which to look for people who are serious relationship material, IMO.
Agreed.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
thanks a lot;for all the thıngs...

Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 PM

51 posts, read 239,559 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am considering the possibility of moving to LA area (versus NYC or another place), and I would like the inputs from some transplants who have moved to LA area in terms of your dating/relationship experiences in LA area (that includes all the nearby areas, including Manhattan Beach, etc).

LA seems a harder place to meet people than NYC because of the driving and it seems people are more self-centered (maybe not more than NYC) than elsewhere. Have that stopped you from forming good new relationships in LA?

Thanks.

Well hello there!!!!!!!!!!!!:co ol:

Old 12-26-2008, 11:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach are actually towns adjacent to the beach. On the beach in both area is a board walk, referred to locally as the strand, where lots of people get together and rollerblade or ride their bikes. On the weekends and during the summer, people who live in the beachhouse often will get a keg and create mini parties for the women strolling up and down the boardwalk. Because its at the beach most people are showing a lot of skin. This is definitely one of those places where the guys with peck implants go to meet women boob implants. If Ken and Barbie were real people, this is where they would have met. There are bars and clubs in the area as well that people will meet up after playing at the beach.

Probably the single largest concentration of single professionals in LA is going to be found in West LA (basically Santa Monica, Brentwood, and Westwood). Because its close to the beach you one of the better microclimates in the region. It doesn't get to hot in the summer, the air is cleaner than the rest of the region. In Santa Monica especially around Montana Blvd, you have a lot of boutiques, cafes and some bars where the locals get together. Rent is high enough in the area where you have to be fairly good at your profession to live in the area.
The area around Montana Ave. is very family oriented and not very singles oriented, unless the original OP is into married guys (and many women are - particularly married men with money) they'd probably be more at home in the Ocean Park section of SM which is much more singles oriented than the north of SM.

Agreed about Brentwood/Westwood/West L.A. though...

Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 PM

206 posts, read 1,075,748 times
Thank you all for the helpful information. Sponger42, could you share with us how you were so successful? Did you meet the fun people and eventually the wonderful one through what kind of avenues? THanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles