U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,343 times

Advertisements

I rent a 1 bedroom unit on my property that is a grand total of 600 square feet.

I didn't write the ad, but allegedly the ad said something to the effect of "ideal for 1 to 2 people"

So, I got slapped with a suit for discriminating against families. Just how big of a family can you legitimately stuff into a 1 bedroom 600 square foot apartment?

It's just kind of funny because every time 2 prospective tenants showed up the would say something like... "oh...it's just too small".

I've never refused to show the place, and always encouraged everyone to apply. I know the fair housing laws are in place for a reason, I just feel like I really got the short end of the stick on this one.

Should I do battle, or just settle this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 08:57 PM

290 posts, read 532,834 times
Battle

Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 PM

10,752 posts, read 9,653,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsanchez View Post
I rent a 1 bedroom unit on my property that is a grand total of 600 square feet.

I didn't write the ad, but allegedly the ad said something to the effect of "ideal for 1 to 2 people"

So, I got slapped with a suit for discriminating against families. Just how big of a family can you legitimately stuff into a 1 bedroom 600 square foot apartment?

It's just kind of funny because every time 2 prospective tenants showed up the would say something like... "oh...it's just too small".

I've never refused to show the place, and always encouraged everyone to apply. I know the fair housing laws are in place for a reason, I just feel like I really got the short end of the stick on this one.

Should I do battle, or just settle this?
you should battle it. is there any ordinance in your city about how many can live in a place of your size?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,343 times
I spent some of my time checking it out. I pulled the rule off of a website, i haven't had a chance to confirm it yet. It appears to be 1 person for every 200 sq ft is the max. I understand this is more than what the ad stated, but in my mind it appears like this...

1 to 2 people is ideal....3 people is acceptable, but certainly not ideal.

When I received the letter for the suit, I told them they should send me a copy of that ad to which the got pretty upset wondering why I didn't have a copy of it myself.

I told them should I decide to go to court and they don't produce a copy of the ad that this is simply hear-say (sp?) and we're done before this even begins.

Then I was told by the HUD investigator that the HRC will typically settle for 200-300 dollars and that I should simply offer it.

I mean really? HUD? A government institution? I'm half tempted just to pay the couple hundred bucks and call whatever news agencies I can. I mean, is this how the HRC makes money in a down economy?

I bought this busted up place, because it was historic and my wife and I wanted to restore it. We thought this may be a place to raise a family one day.

I have a feeling I'll settle, but I'll do my best to make some noise. I can't even get an hour of attorney time for the couple hundred bucks I was told to settle for.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks for listening.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,828,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsanchez View Post
I mean really? HUD? A government institution? I'm half tempted just to pay the couple hundred bucks and call whatever news agencies I can. I mean, is this how the HRC makes money in a down economy?
Yet another step down the path of turning LA into a 3rd world county: Making it illegal to not advertise 600sf as being a great place to house a family. Who is the HRC exactly? It sounds like a shakedown. I say you raise a public stink over it, call John and Ken, and get a lawyer to fight it for free on your behalf.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 PM

5,471 posts, read 14,441,424 times
Screw the HRC-LA. One of their representatives came to my apartment a few weeks ago. I don't even know how the heck she got in, since it's gated. Naive me at the time talked with her when she knocked on my door. She wouldn't tell me exactly why she was there, but she was trying to dig up any possible bad thing whatsoever to use against the apartment owner. Everything I said she echoed back to me, putting words in my mouth that I never said and writing every single thing down. This felt a little weird. It's like they're purposely trying to dig up crap and extrapolate every little thing. I even stopped her and asked her why she was trying to demonize the property management company like they were evil. She responded with something really cocky like, "We're here to defend tenants rights. Your RIGHTs are important to you, aren't they?" Now, I'm not saying I think the landlord company is so great-- actually they suck-- but this HRC organization definitely has a screw loose. They are definitely NOT impartial and represent an ideology of extreme leftism.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:38 AM

2,268 posts, read 5,612,585 times
I say fight it at all costs. If you just settle, don't expect these problems to get any better. That's why they will settle for a few hundred dollars. They know it's not worth most landlords time to fight it. Make them provide EVERYTHING, the ad, specific laws regarding your ad, everything. The burdon of proof is on them.

There's a difference between tenant rights and almost being forced to rent it out to a family of six. Just imagine if they got wind that you rented to a single person, when a family of four wanted the place too. Just another case of our freedoms slowly getting trampled on.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:44 AM

5,164 posts, read 10,329,354 times
I see nothing wrong with that ad. It doesn't say "will only rent to a single or a couple", right? "Ideal" means just that. I understand why you'd be willing to settle, but this is ridiculous. Fight for your rights! And in the end, you're also fighting for other tenants' rights, because who wants to live next door to a one-bedroom apartment stuffed with 4-6 people?!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 AM

957 posts, read 1,999,936 times
In my opinion, this is blackmail -- the people doing this are criminal thugs. This sounds like those people John and Ken went after who sued people over tiny problems, such as a bathroom mirror being an inch too high for somebody in a wheelchair, etc. I can't remember the details, but it's not legal to do this sort of thing if I recall correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles