U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 13,581 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm moving from Chicago to LA for work; my job is in Hawthorne, and I will only have a few days upon arriving to find a place to live. What are the best neighborhoods around the area with low crime rates? Do you think the number and size of swimming pools in the area (which can be seen from Google Maps) is a good indicators of the quality of the neighborhood?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 PM

5,112 posts, read 12,122,186 times
any of the coastal cities from santa monica on down through torrance would be good places to start.

you can also look in culver city, limited parts of carson and gardena, and long beach has some nice areas in the portion near the 405 that would make commuting okay(namely bixby knolls and signal hill. east long beach is nice too, but thats more time to travel)

Old 12-31-2008, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 2,822 times
Regarding crime in LA, we lived in Hawthorn (on Prairie Avenue, I think it was?), years ago, over 20 years ago, and one of our cars was stolen out of the parking lot, and found stripped. Apparently that lot was known to have this sort of activity, but nobody in the apartment complex (the lot was behind the apartments) bothered to tell us.

Moral of the story is, always have insurance.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,231,488 times
Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, El Segundo, Westchester, Playa del Rey, Marina del Rey and Culver City, going from south to north. Manhattan and El Segundo are the closest to Hawthorne. I wouldn't go further south than Torrance, if possible, or further north than Culver City for an easy commute. All of these "cities" will run >$1000/mo for a nice 1BR apartment.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 PM

829 posts, read 1,623,324 times
You have to realize that in L.A just because a neighborhood looks nice, doesnt mean that it is completely safe. Hawthorne borders a lot of areas that look really nice but are known for gang activity. Even in the heart of south central there are some areas that look very nice but are home to a lot of gang activity. Dont be decieved by nice looks.

so I agree with the person above, look at some of the south bay beach areas if you can afford them.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm not rich (yet), but I'll see what I can do with the beach communities. Are there any neighborhoods I should avoid?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,231,488 times
Generally, avoid places east of Hawthorne Blvd. As mentioned, there are some decent areas in the area, but west of Hawthorne would be a better bet. Are you looking to rent or buy? And to answer your original question, no, swimming pools will not indicate the quality of the neighborhood.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:40 AM

generally in that area you want to avoid anything inland(as in the city doesnt border the beach). Culver City is an exception.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:07 PM

I'm looking to rent; probably a studio or roommates. I don't have a car yet, so somewhere accessible by public transportation would be nice. Is the traffic really as bad as everyone says it is? How long would it take to drive from Manhattan Beach to downtown LA on a weekend?

Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 PM

traffic is really that bad and without transport you're not going to be very happy. public transportation in LA is not very efficient even if there is a lot of it.

i would look at bus lines and rail lines for the LA metro and find a route that fits you and move onto the route because theres no telling if you'll find something to get you from a to b if you pick without looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles