Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,916,795 times

Advertisements

Oh, that's disappointing. Gaaaaaaah, home and apartment searches are just never fun, are they? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 PM

448 posts, read 1,602,455 times
Hey Sandy, if you start in Valley Village on Riverside Drive and just work your way west through Sherman Oaks, there are TONS of apartments with FOR RENT signs. Needless to say, many of these apartments look not too shabby if not quite chic. Good luck with your findings in the Valley! It's really not so bad....just stay South of Burbank Blvd.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,048,705 times
Sandy I believe you should look north of your job and drive around looking for desirable buildings. Keep in mind that your budget means you are going to have to focus on "less" desirable because you're financially out of reach of renting the most desirable ones. Just avoid the "not" desirable ones, and as I said earlier look for older, smaller buildings.

I advise keeping west of Tampa. Also, it's been my experience that during traffic hours it's easier to travel north as opposed to trying to travel parallel to Ventura Bl. or the Ventura Freeway. Also, traffic gets worse traveling north as you approach the Simi Freeway, particularly on streets that on-ramp to the Simi.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,520,117 times
I'm reviving this thread to say that unfortunately, I didn't pull a rabbit out of my hat after all. I ended up finding an apartment that costs $1,400 per month. However, I still feel like I got a good deal. You wouldn't believe how many small, cramped, old places there are in this price range! I looked at one apartment that had no storage except for the closets in the bedrooms, and those closets weren't huge! I don't think I could do any better than what I've found, and I'm now glad that I had the patience to wait.

This unit comes with two parking spaces that aren't tandem! I get one, of course, and then my kids get to fight over the other. I'll also have a dishwasher for the first time in many years, a fireplace, dry bar, central air and heat, pool, and lots of storage.

My budget is going to be very tight, but it'll be worth it. I'm glad to be staying in Sherman Oaks; this area is still pretty nice (my current building notwithstanding!).

Thanks, everyone, for all your help!!! Now comes the hard part - moving. Yuck. However, I'll do so with a smile, because I know that I'm getting out of a bad situation that's getting worse.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,891,570 times
Congrats on finding another place in Sherman Oaks. If it werent for my giant dog, the wife and I would consider renting a small S.O. apartment and rent out our Woodland Hills home along with our Sherman Oaks condo just to save money.

We may ask $2,200 - $2,500 for our W.H. pool home but only if we can find a 125lb dog pet friendly place.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,048,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Now comes the hard part - moving. Yuck.
I'm glad you found a good place.

Moving... My moving has got me really scared. I've lived in the same 3BR house for over 30 years. A few weeks ago I was going over in my mind what steps had to be taken before I can sell my house and move away. I realized that the huge quantity of possessions were going to be a big problem unless I culled it down. Anything that will cost more to move than it will cost to replace is going in the trash.

I've been over and over and over every single possession I have, and every place that I have to store them. I was amazed at the number of things that I saved because I might want them some day, and because I had the room. One area I'm pretty bad at is collecting hobbies. I realized that I had hobbies that I hadn't done for 20 or more years, and was unlikely to do ever again. That stuff went in the trash, in some cases saving the tools (which in most cases isn't much, and tools are sorta expensive). I have two 4-drawer file cabinets, and out of 6 drawers I was using to file papers I'm pretty sure I've eliminated 2 drawers worth, and probably more today. I've got old stereo gear I'll never use again. Tape cassettes? VCR? I cut my VHS tapes from about 120 down to only 9 which I intend to convert to DVD and toss. I'm going to try to sell the gear on eBay or Craig's list, and if it doesn't sell it goes to Goodwill.

Interesting psychological observation: The more you throw away the easier it gets. I've been over all my stuff several times and in each area I find yet more stuff to get rid of each time I look it over again.

Even if I don't move it's good to have more room, and if I do move it will be essential. So I'm suggesting that everybody should do some spring cleaning and toss out all that useless stuff. The only reason you're keeping it is because it's out of sight, out of mind. Go on a search and destroy mission! You'll feel better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles