Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times

Advertisements

ya i hate that too. that is complete disregard or respect for life. usually when they are close enough i kick in their door, even bang on the hood, thats how bad it gets. and these cluless, asians, white girls/boys, blacks browns and everything in between doing it are so bewildered by the idea of right of way. of course if im in the hood i wont be kickin cars, but usually the poeple who cut me off keep on driving past in fear. one time a guy got out, but then i just slammed his door back at him as he was getting out and continued on my merry way... said it once and ill say it again... we shoot back. you got to give respecet to get it. how mexico of me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
What I negelcted to mention is that this problem occurs even at stop signs, where drivers are required to stop regardless of pedestrians. You'd think that, at a stop sign at least, drivers would yield to pedestrains. It's really unbelievable how many simply do not.
How about a combination of obliviousness, self-importance and an inflated sense of empowerment that wells up behind 6K lbs of steel and a V-8 as a start to why some motorists behave rudely and DANGEROUSLY towards everyone else around them. Each pedestrian is one less car on the road. You'd think this would garner thanks and respect from drivers frustrated by too much traffic, but it most often does not. Unfortunately, pedestrians are the soft target; tread with care and never insist.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 03-09-2007 at 01:58 AM..

Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,161 times
Happened to me again today. I was only a little more than halfway across a crosswalk when a vehicle stopped at the opposite side of the intersection proceded forward, so that she would barely get past me by the time she reached my side of the intersection. I'm glad I didn't decide to do a 180 degree turn and walk back across in the opposite direction, lest she would have plowed right into me. Do some people just not understand how it feels to have a car start driving towards you while you're in its path?

Old 03-10-2007, 01:19 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,183 times
I hate that too!!!

I'm not a perfect driver and am guilty of forgetting to look to check for pedestrians...though I always manage to check for OTHER oncoming vehicles. But what gets to me the most is when I'm waiting on a pedestrian to cross and the car in back of me starts beeping because i'm not going!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 02:04 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,824 times
I'll have to say that 9 times out of 10 when I'm walking my dogs and it's happened to me in the L.A. area, it's someone in a massive S.U.V.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Yeah, Manhattan Beach has a HUGE sign in the road that says "YIELD TO PEDESTRIANS". almost all the time, people yield there.

I know what you mean, drivers have no regard for peds.

I was stopped one time while someone was in a crosswalk at an airport...you know, the crosswalks where the pickup and dropoffs are? Anyway, i stopped for the girl to go and she's frantically standing in the walk waving at me to go. I kept telling her to go and she got mad at me....she finally went and i said out my window, "i have to yield to you, i can get in trouble if i dont"

My dad got a ticket one time because of not yielding to a ped, so i remembered that and always yield.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:26 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
ok this happened again today, but the worst part was that it was a bus driver in one of the mega long express mta buses. well maybe thats not the worst part, the real worst part is that he was on his movil phone!!!!! this sends me over the edge. bus drivers should not be on the phone. this needs to be illegal. cops dont need to be on the phone either. actually nobody needs to be on the phone when they are driving!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:48 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,035 times
Laguna Beach is another place where the drivers yield 85% of the time. Mostly because they are already stopped in traffic!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:09 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Good rule of thumb is to always make eye contact with the driver before you cross. Make SURE they see you. When i'm driving and stopped, i always make eye contact to peds to let them know, "go ahead, i see you"

Old 03-12-2007, 03:20 PM

76 posts, read 283,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I hate that too!!!

I'm not a perfect driver and am guilty of forgetting to look to check for pedestrians...though I always manage to check for OTHER oncoming vehicles. But what gets to me the most is when I'm waiting on a pedestrian to cross and the car in back of me starts beeping because i'm not going!!!

i completely agree with that. it makes me angry and then when you look at them in the rear mirror or side mirror and point to them that your waiting for the person to cross . they role their eyes and act as if your doing something so unreasonable or illegal. people can not be in that much of a hurry can they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles