Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:37 PM

27 posts, read 184,944 times

Advertisements

My commute from Torrance to Westwood takes me an unbearable 1.5 hours each way. Therefore, I'm thinking of getting a decent motorcycle to commute. I'd never operated a motorcycle. What do you think of this option? I know there is always some inherent risks involved in riding a motorcycle on the freeway (405), but what do you think of the pros and cons? I really do not know but, I speculate that by weaving and bobbing between bumper-to-bumper cars on the streets/freeways, I'll be able to reach Westwood in 30 minutes ! Tell me I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:05 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
torrance to westwood is quite a drive, but the motorcycle would certainly speed up the commute for you. i commute on a vespa and love it. i don't take any freeways though and my drive is only 6 miles each way. if you don't mind the risk, i think its a good idea. not only are saving time, but you would also save money.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
torrance to westwood is quite a drive, but the motorcycle would certainly speed up the commute for you. i commute on a vespa and love it. i don't take any freeways though and my drive is only 6 miles each way. if you don't mind the risk, i think its a good idea. not only are saving time, but you would also save money.
Ok, I can see all of the advantages of riding a motorbike to work and I agree with all of them. Now, on the risks. Is it really true that the risk of getting maimed/injured or getting into a fatal incident is much higher than driving a regular car? Are we sure that these risks are not a bit over-exagerated? Of course, everything is proportional to the skills of the rider/driver, but with everything else equal, how much more proned to major accident is riding a motorbike than driving a car?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i don't think your odds of actually getting in an accident on a motorcycle versus a car are any higher, but if you do get in an accident, obviously the odds of serious injury are much higher. i have had some close calls in the year or so that i've been riding, but i'm still unscathed and plan to keep it that way.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:01 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
I ride bikes all the time, this is one of the reasons to live in California.
However get some good training, get a good bike and take it easy.
Don't Zig Zag in and out of the traffic, your bike will have the power to out accelerate any four wheeler on the road.
Avoid if possible the big freeways and look for alternative routes you will still get to your destination 30% faster than in a car.
One thing to remember when you ride a bike you can get quite dirty,all the crap and dust on the roads can make you look like a cowboy who has just hit town from the trail.
So if you have to look smart for the office make sure you have a change of clothes.
There is no finer feeling on Earth than to pull up in between two $60k SUV`s full of screaming kids on your “cool” bike as you roar off you can feel the envy and confusion in the air,brief recollections of the freedom of high school days gone in the lingering exhaust note of a “sick” Harley.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Risk/reward of bikes (or crappy cars or SUVs) makes little sense to most...

Smarter to live closer to office and/or commute early and late (arrive <6AM and leave >7PM)....much better crowd of focused, higher-end drivers and quicker, safer drive

Am a car fanatic; have never been in collision, but carefully weigh risk/reward of any perf car, esp vs being rear-ended in a high-speed fwy deceleration...or if facing an unavoidable head-on collision in my wkend mtn twisties drives

Any car is cheap vs costs of surviving a major collision needing major surgeries and/or suffering lifelong disabilities...

Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

Smarter to live closer to office and/or commute early and late (arrive <6AM and leave >7PM)....much better crowd of focused, higher-end drivers and quicker, safer drive

Am a car fanatic; have never been in collision, but carefully weigh risk/reward of any perf car, esp vs being rear-ended in a high-speed fwy deceleration...or if facing an unavoidable head-on collision in my wkend mtn twisties drives

Any car is cheap vs costs of surviving a major collision needing major surgeries and/or suffering lifelong disabilities...
Live every day as if it is your last, because one day you will be correct.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) basic rider course before you make your decision.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmfg888 View Post
Of course, everything is proportional to the skills of the rider/driver, but with everything else equal, how much more proned to major accident is riding a motorbike than driving a car?
Short answer, YES, you are at higher risk on a motorcycle that in a car. Simply put, no matter how skillful YOU are as a rider, you are much more susceptible to the lack of skill by OTHER careless and stupid drivers. They will cut you off, turn in front of you with no warning, pull out in front of you from driveways and side streets, open their door in in front of you, etc. Inconvenient and annoyng when you are driving a car, but a matter of life and death when you're on a bike.

You need to develop a completely different safety mentality when riding a motorcycle. It's almost like a 6th sense. I safely commuted on a motorcycle on Southern Ca freeways for many years and can tell you it takes a while to develop this skill, which is why motorcycle fatalities are highest among new riders, particularly the first year. My advice, again, take the MSF course and take things easy for the first few years.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

The frustration of goingat 15/20 mph fighting for spaces and lanes on the freeways, for 4 hours per day for 25 or 30 years can disable you as well, both mentally and physically. That much time of one's life is spent in almost inescapable frustration means same amount of time taken away from spending quality time with family or the significant other.

Don't get me wrong, I am as well concerned about losing my life riding a motorbike to work.

The bailout money should had gone to building more efficient and convenient public transportation means, not to those wall street entities. Just ranting.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:58 PM

Open you`re door on me MF and you`re Family will go on a long holiday!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: