Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 AM

4 posts, read 19,484 times

Advertisements

I hope I am posting this in the right spot. I have been looking to move to Long Beach and for the past few months I have been watching places on Craigslist and reading this forum, trying to determine what areas are good or bad. The issue is that I have been told to stay away from Downtown, but many people on here have said that is a great area. Also, someone told me to not live on any numbered streets that have a street address below the 1000's. Is this true? (I assume the numbers increase as you move east into the city?)

A few specific addresses about which I am curious (and cannot really determine after all my research if these would actually be okay or not. Long Beach really seems to vary from street to street. It seems to be *that* specific.)

Anyways, the address are:

2175 Chestnut Avenue
234 Lime Avenue
616 Orange Avenue
926 E 4th
intersection of 10th and Junipero (street address unknown)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated (I am mostly curious about the safety and the parking situations...I have very odd working hours that vary from day-to-day, but there will be times when they are normal 9-5 hours...am I gonna circle for 45 mins trying to find a place to park?). I am really trying to be careful here, and am also paying attention to the fact that some apartments include only water/trash (mandatory utilities), while others also include gas an electricity (totally awesome!)

I apologize for my longwindedness. :/ LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Chestnut: This is in Wrigley. Up and coming I guess, but not my favorite.
Lime, Orange, 4th are all in or near the East Arts District area. Lots of hipsters, sizeable gay population, fairly safe, but check it out before you rent.
10th and Junipero is kinda ghetto, but shouldn't be terrible.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 AM

Okay, two more addresses:

527 West 3rd Street (90802)
413 East 7th Street (90813)

I know people say to stay south of 7th...but the apartment I found on the 7th is the nicest I've seen. (Seriously). I have looked at some real dumps for rent in LBC...but the place on 7th is absolutely beautiful.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 AM

47 posts, read 164,545 times
Look at google earth to see actual pictures of the neighborhood. Look for bars on the windows, graffitti, etc.

Contact the Long Beach Police Department City of Long Beach, CA - Police Homepage to get specifics on crime in the areas you're looking to live.

Remember: You get what you pay for. You may get inexpensive rent, but also give up the freedom of being able to go outside/have your car still there in the morning, etc.

Stay safe.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:24 PM

Well, I cannot afford anything that is more than $725 a month (unless it includes all the utilities). Your response seems to imply that I have a choice of what kind of rent I want/can pay and that is simply not the case (as with many low income people!). If I could afford to live in Belmont Shores, I wouldn't live in Long Beach to begin with! (I don't mean to be rude, but Hello?!! Think about it.)

Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 AM

47 posts, read 164,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinfarr View Post
Well, I cannot afford anything that is more than $725 a month (unless it includes all the utilities). Your response seems to imply that I have a choice of what kind of rent I want/can pay and that is simply not the case (as with many low income people!). If I could afford to live in Belmont Shores, I wouldn't live in Long Beach to begin with! (I don't mean to be rude, but Hello?!! Think about it.)
If you are single, you might consider renting a room from a homeowner in a nicer/safer area. Maybe that's an option you hadn't thought about. In that situation, you have your own space, kitchen & laundry facilities, private bath, etc. Best of luck to you.

Stay safe.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,743 times
Stay around 4th, but do not go too far West, stop at Junipero then pick up again on Linden, Elm and stop. there. 4th between Ximeno and Junipero is changing and becoming very hip and apartment rents are coming down. 4th picks up again in the East Village. but I would not go above 4th once you hit downtown. Stay away from areas and streets between Cherry and Linden, they run North/South.

I would not take anything on 7th. A very busy traffic street, you could take something off of 7th, stay East of Redondo Avenue if possible. Look at the Gazettes.com website.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM

42 posts, read 108,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilorraine View Post
Stay away from areas and streets between Cherry and Linden, they run North/South.

I disagree with this, the areas below 4th between Cherry and Linden are fine for the most part.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 7,912 times
Default Long Beach, CA 90814

I live just off of Junipero and love the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles