Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times

Advertisements

What was wrong with its original design? One of the great things about it was that one could shop there despite the weather -- I've looked at drawings of the upcoming mall in its place and it doesn't look like someplace I'd want to shop at in bad weather. On the PV peninsula, something similar was done to a large shopping mall, and I do not care for that one either. What is with this trend in renovating all-weather malls into places people will only visit if the weather is not displeasing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:38 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
the westside pavilion and beverly center are still indoors and the fox hills mall will remain indoors once it's finished being refurbished so you still have other options.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,020 times
Santa Monica Place might as well take advantage of being right at the beach. It makes sense for a place with great weather like that to be an open air mall. There aren't that many rainy days in Santa Monica. When people head to the beach, they want to be outdoors and just look at how popular the Third Street Promenade is. I assume Santa Monica Place wants to get some of those crowds that the Promenade has.

BrinSM mentioned indoor malls people can go to if the weather is bad (which it only is a few times per year), but I personally think it is a good decision.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
to add to missionhome, the indoor shops in the mall weren't nearly as popular as outside on 3rd st. it was getting old and stores had been moving from inside the mall to the promenade for years. the only parts of the mall that generated any decent amount of foot traffic were the food court and bathrooms. i'd also bet that the new mall will remain a safe haven for those who wish to avoid the homeless and street performers on the promenade.

i think the new plan with the upper level food court with city and ocean views is a great idea. i highly doubt that the 10-15 rainy days that we get every year will affect revenues that much.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
I have nice memories of santa monica place, trick or treating there, going to the old toy store on the third level (couple stores down from the game store), before kb toys.

And their old food court....round table pizza, and some other places I forget.

Probably a real good business decision. Indoor malls get dated vs the grove, americana, 3rd street.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
What is with this trend in renovating all-weather malls into places people will only visit if the weather is not displeasing?
Even in Florida, the new malls are being built in the outdoor-mall-style. Considering the humidity levels and rain there, is it a good idea? Time will tell.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times
Indoor malls aren't being built anymore it seems. The new Americana in Glendale is outdoors & the old Plaza Pasadena was torn down to build the outdoor Paseo Pasadena. I still like going to indoor malls but their days are numbered it appears.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I have nice memories of santa monica place, trick or treating there, going to the old toy store on the third level (couple stores down from the game store), before kb toys.

And their old food court....round table pizza, and some other places I forget.

Probably a real good business decision. Indoor malls get dated vs the grove, americana, 3rd street.
Hot Dog on a Stick forever!!!

Okay folks, look here...

When the Santa Monica Place was completed, in 1980 I believe the year was, people stopped visiting what was the old mall, ergo, SMP became the place to be. The old mall, which shortly became a wasteland, was relegated to background shots for films such as Peewee's Big Adventure, and a haven for people who liked feeding pigeons.

Then, it reopened in the early 90's as the Third Street Promenade, and drew business from not only Westwood Village (which became loserville by 1992), but the Santa Monica Place as well. So now, the SMP is being renovated, and Third Street will eventually become yesterday's news. So then, what's the point of all this? Why spend all this money following fickle trends, when eventually Third Street will simply close ten years from now, to be reopened a few years later with an enclosure over the whole thing and billed as an alternative to the new SMP when the weather is too rainy or windy for outdoor shopping?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Hot Dog on a Stick forever!!!

Okay folks, look here...

When the Santa Monica Place was completed, in 1980 I believe the year was, people stopped visiting what was the old mall, ergo, SMP became the place to be. The old mall, which shortly became a wasteland, was relegated to background shots for films such as Peewee's Big Adventure, and a haven for people who liked feeding pigeons.

Then, it reopened in the early 90's as the Third Street Promenade, and drew business from not only Westwood Village (which became loserville by 1992), but the Santa Monica Place as well. So now, the SMP is being renovated, and Third Street will eventually become yesterday's news. So then, what's the point of all this? Why spend all this money following fickle trends, when eventually Third Street will simply close ten years from now, to be reopened a few years later with an enclosure over the whole thing and billed as an alternative to the new SMP when the weather is too rainy or windy for outdoor shopping?
that's pretty funny, because i can envision it happening just as you outlined.

although, i must say, century city has existed as an outdoor shopping center for decades. the way the wind whips through that place on a cold day can be brutal, but still it stands. so, you never can tell what will last in this town, and what will go the way of the dodo faster than you can say "jack robinson."

Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM

705 posts, read 3,297,408 times
I really like the concept of the new mall. 3rd street was closed of for pedestrian activity but the indoor mall was becoming less attractive and succesful. When I worked in Santa Monica, the place was only full during mid-day hours due to the heavy amount of tourists. The new designs compliments 3rd street far more than a giant indoor mall at the end. Not too many residents of L.A. will visit the new SM Place during bad weather but 3rd Street, the Santa Monica pier, and Venice beach keep bringing thousands of tourist every day so it really won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles