Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 PM

191 posts, read 586,241 times

Advertisements

jemyr,

thanks for your clarifications and sorry to pester the long story out of you! And further apologies for the troll label. I don't levy it often, and regret doing so with you.

So... your dilemma...

Might I suggest a few "out there" ideas?

- Tehachapi. Go visit it before you knock it. Clean air, four seasons, 1.5 hour drive to the SFValley. You can get whatever you want in your price range and you'll find there's actually an interesting mix of folks there. They have improved walkability and have a quaint little downtown; schools may be an issue but with the savings you can potentially do private. It's 4000 feet up "high desert" but is absolutely beautiful.

- Big Bear/Arrowhead. These areas have a good bohemian set of peeps and homes are a steal right now. Excellent schools. Mountains may not be your thing, however.

- Someone mentioned La Jolla. Also consider Carlsbad; many great homes in this area at steep discounts due to the newish developments in Talega.

- San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach I know, FAR from LA but still doable as a one-off commute.

Good luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM

27 posts, read 136,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
You have 1.2 million dollars to spend on a house? Ever thought about Oregon? They get pissed at the CA transplants, but who cares.

Yeah I'm thinking Portland, Seattle, or Austin if I can't hack it here. Probably Seattle as the spouse has issues with Texas, and we know a few people in Seattle as compared to knowing no one in Portland.

Larkinhill,

See! Actually a lot exist in the greater LA area. And it's the intellectual/sci-fi geek writer types I like. You can get the highbrow intellectual writers elsewhere, but not the.... Matrix movie type of writer if you know what I mean. Smart, intellectual, but entertaining and fun to be around. Not so stuffy. I imagine they are in other places, but not as concentrated as around here. And man, they are a pleasure to be neighborly with. Plus there are certain types of wardrobe, set designer, sfx, graphic fx people I really dig. It's all the same cool vibe.

It's fun to be around people who are like you and are up to the same things you are up to.

Now, I don't like all the mentally ill people, the gangs, the space cases, and the plastics. I liked Pasadena because it was far enough away from the industry that there were less of those people around, but you still had writers and the like around. Plus I also really dug being around so many scientists in the mix. *sigh* If it didnt mean sacrificing my kid's health I'd totally stay. Well, and the proximity of gangs does bother me. Among a few other gripes.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 17,599 times
I like the SF Valley.
I used to be a West LA snob who wouldn't live anywhere else; BUT when I bought a house, I couldn't afford a 3 bd/2ba on the West Side.
Once I moved to the Valley, there are great schools, clean/safe neighborhoods, and a relatively quiet/slower lifestyle.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,277 times
What about Huntington Beach in OC. It isn't that far from Los Angeles, but still close enough since it sounds like it won't be a daily commute thing, just for interviews.

The air quality is fine, the beach is there, and there is a downtown. You said you are looking for $900k and I found some places around that price range near the downtown and close to the beach.

$950k, 3,000 square feet, remodeled/newer (1995), walking distance to downtown, 2 blocks to the beach, very good schools (look them on on greatschools.com: Smith Elementary (API 873), Ehtel Dwyer Middle (API 840), Huntington Beach High (API 823)- all good scores.
322 Goldenwest St, Huntington Beach, CA 92648 | MLS# S529825

$1.05 million, 3,100 square feet, beautiful inside, close to the beach, near downtown, great schools (same as above listing)
805 Delaware St, Huntington Beach, CA 92648 | MLS# S535069

$1 million, 2,800 square feet, remodeled, again near downtown, near beach, great schools (same as above listing)
618 11th, Huntington Beach, CA 92648 | MLS# S544556

And Huntington Beach will prove to be a fun and active place to live. You will love buying a home close to the beach and downtown.

And you will be living near some of the most popular stretch of sand in the USA.

In my humble opinion HB offers a lot of what you want, with good air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles