Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times

Advertisements

KNAC was great, as was the short lived Pirate Radio

Still got a KNAC vinyl sticker floating around here somewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
'Just repped all who remembered the great KNAC (you too the one, don't have cardiac arrest) and Pirate Radio (slogan: "Less music by dead guys!")

Whereas some might remember KNAC was a rock station with cool promotions of local acts (my husband's first band, a theatrical glam band was paired with either Malo or Tierra!) in the early 70's back in the day before its glorious metal incarnation, I know I'm the only one on this forum that remembers the original alternatives to the ubiquitous AM giants like KHJ in the dawn of '60's music. KPPC (not KPCC) played what sounded like pre-FM radio formats of non-singles by both popular artists and those who might interest young rock enthusiasts, like Coltrane or blues artists alongside yer British invasion. Even KRLA had FCC-challenging weird DJs who seemed to be in altered states. I've forgotten which station had the forerunner of the Rodney Bingenheimer show, which featured Flo and Eddie (Mark and Howard of Frank Zappa band, the Turtles) playing whatever they thought was cool and trendy which wasn't on any playlist.

Rest in peace Indie1031 and all good free radio in L.A....

Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
What type of music has replaced 103.1?

I found some good bands from that station. They were generally the first to play stuff that was popular in European Countries. It was fun to catch songs here that I hear in Europe. Kind of makes the world a smaller place.

Wasnt 103.1 owned or purchased within the past 5 or so years by clearchannel? I heard some time ago that clearchannel is pretty conservative.

When 103.1 first came along they were more raw but still remained a good station these past years.

Sad to hear about this.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:54 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
1) I like CSS
2) I don't think they were the greatest station on earth, but they offered a good mix of stuff that wasn't what everyone else was always playing.

XM / Sirius (or whatever they're called now) really doesn't impress me much...it's like cable...57 channels and still nothing on.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,094 times
I can't believe it. I was just telling a friend back in GA about this cool station. No more Henry Rollins' show, no more Steve Jones' show. No more Tuesday night punk. This sucks!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
What type of music has replaced 103.1?

I found some good bands from that station. They were generally the first to play stuff that was popular in European Countries. It was fun to catch songs here that I hear in Europe. Kind of makes the world a smaller place.

Wasnt 103.1 owned or purchased within the past 5 or so years by clearchannel? I heard some time ago that clearchannel is pretty conservative.

When 103.1 first came along they were more raw but still remained a good station these past years.

Sad to hear about this.
Regional Spanish. (because we don't have enough of those already)

Indie was owned by Entravision.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Regional Spanish. (because we don't have enough of those already)

Indie was owned by Entravision.
That is sad to hear.

Funny though. Weren't they doing their call signal in spanish for the past few years?

Well, I need to delete that one from the pre-sets.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Wow. Radio really does suck now.

105.5 KNAC was my favorite. I still like KROQ in the mornings with Kevin and Bean though. Power was good before they went all Mexican on us - started yelling out the call letters in spanish and just doing a bit too much to lure the spanish speaking crowd (even though most Spanish speakers listen to rap).

KLOS plays too much old music and I can only take so much of the old stuff. I find myself listening more to talk radio now instead of music stations anyway. Adam Carolla, Tom Leykis is much better than the crap you get on KIIS, KOST, etc.
Funny, I listen to Tom Leykis every evening when I drive home from work. I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but I'm still fascinated with the people who call into his radio show.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
My most favorite station of all time....but i am proud of Indie.

At this point I have no further reason to ever tune into a radio station, unless it is an emergency of course.

From their site:

Quote:
Indie Activist:

This is an important message for the Indie 103.1 Radio Audience -

Indie 103.1 will cease broadcasting over this frequency effective immediately. Because of changes in the radio industry and the way radio audiences are measured, stations in this market are being forced to play too much Britney, Puffy and alternative music that is neither new nor cutting edge. Due to these challenges, Indie 103.1 was recently faced with only one option --- to play the corporate radio game.

We have decided not to play that game any longer. Rather than changing the sound, spirit, and soul of what has made Indie 103.1 great Indie 103.1 will bid farewell to the terrestrial airwaves and take an alternative course.

This could only be done on the Internet, a place where rules do not apply and where new music thrives; be it grunge, punk, or alternative - simply put, only the best music.

For those of you with a computer at home or at work, log on to Indie Revolution and listen to the new Indie 103.1 - which is really the old Indie 103.1, not the version of Indie 103.1 we are removing from the broadcast airwaves.

We thank our listeners and advertisers for their support of the greatest radio station ever conceived, and look forward to continuing to deliver the famed Indie 103.1 music and spirit over the Internet to passionate music listeners around the world.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:36 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
thanks. and dont worry i even repped kele over in the immig forum the other day! some times we do get on the same page.

and thanks i almost forgot about pirate radio.

i remember when they would hi-jack a bunch of songs and turn them into political spoofs. milli vanilis "blame it on the rain" became "blame it on hussein, yeah-e-yeah" (first gulf war.) they were funny. pirate radio. man are they missed.

I also have some nice stickers floating around. great trip down memory lane guys. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
'Just repped all who remembered the great KNAC (you too the one, don't have cardiac arrest) and Pirate Radio (slogan: "Less music by dead guys!")

Whereas some might remember KNAC was a rock station with cool promotions of local acts (my husband's first band, a theatrical glam band was paired with either Malo or Tierra!) in the early 70's back in the day before its glorious metal incarnation, I know I'm the only one on this forum that remembers the original alternatives to the ubiquitous AM giants like KHJ in the dawn of '60's music. KPPC (not KPCC) played what sounded like pre-FM radio formats of non-singles by both popular artists and those who might interest young rock enthusiasts, like Coltrane or blues artists alongside yer British invasion. Even KRLA had FCC-challenging weird DJs who seemed to be in altered states. I've forgotten which station had the forerunner of the Rodney Bingenheimer show, which featured Flo and Eddie (Mark and Howard of Frank Zappa band, the Turtles) playing whatever they thought was cool and trendy which wasn't on any playlist.

Rest in peace Indie1031 and all good free radio in L.A....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles