Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 AM

17 posts, read 88,294 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am looking into jobs in downtown L.A., but I want to live in Long Beach near my wife's family. I would like to rent a small 2 bedroom house in a safe area, and be as close to the blue line as possible, preferably a close drive to one of the free park and ride stations (Willow, Wardlow, etc.). My in-laws live around the intersection of the 405 and Bellflower, so that is the only area I know anything about, but there do not seem to be a lot of rentals there. I'm not aure about the rest of Long Beach. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,501,547 times
Downtown Long Beach is nice, but most of the Blue Line runs straight through the heart of South Central, if that gives you any indication of what kind of neighborhoods you'll encounter along most of that rail line.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,718,173 times
the willow station puts you within a few blocks of signal hill(east of the station), which is a moderate to great area depending on neighborhood.

the pch station is a few blocks west of wrigley, which is another decent to nice area.

the wardlow and del amo stations put you just west of bixby knolls and the lakewood country club area(which is off carson, the area off del amo isn't so great until you get to the lakewood mall). these areas will be the most similar in neighborhood to your inlaws, but will also be the the most expensive

i think your best bet for a neighborhood similar to your inlaws thats a bit more affordable is lakewood. you'll be within 10min of the del amo or wardlow stations and finding a house for rent in lakewood at a decent price in a decent neighborhood is a lot easier than doing so in long beach. other than the country club area, you'll want to stay east of lakewood blvd and west of the 605 fwy.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM

916 posts, read 3,691,940 times
You could rent a place in Belmont Heights or close by and walk/bike to the station in downtown LB.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 PM

27 posts, read 184,753 times
If I take this Blue line to LA downtown, I believe it will end at the Union Station. From there, how can I get to Wilshire Blvd cross Veteran Road in Westwood, anyone can help please? How long would the total journey take, if I start at 6:30am?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,230,435 times
Yep, I agree with NaplesRes. I accessed the Blue Line (via bus) from Spring and Woodruff. I was a schlepp, but alot of the area abutting the line are pretty sketchy. I can't speak for downtown- haven't been down there since they really pushed the re-development button- but living alittle east of LB Blvd and linking would be good.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 PM

852 posts, read 3,806,001 times
To get to Westwood from Long Beach, take the Blue Line to the 7th Street Station downtown and take the Wilshire bus to Westwood. It will be a hefty journey, timewise.

Last edited by LivingLikeAGradStudent; 01-16-2009 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 AM

42 posts, read 107,843 times
Downtown and Mid-Shore (Alamitos Beach, Bluff Park, Carroll Park ,Bluff Heights) area below 4th St. is good if you want to live close to mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles