Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times

Advertisements

I work in healthcare and deal with lots of trauma victims. If you can't put up with the drive/traffic, then you won't be able to go through the rehab after the motorcycle accident either. Do you have dependents? I would either move or change the commute hours or just live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 PM

27 posts, read 184,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I work in healthcare and deal with lots of trauma victims. If you can't put up with the drive/traffic, then you won't be able to go through the rehab after the motorcycle accident either. Do you have dependents? I would either move or change the commute hours or just live with it.
Yes, I have 2 dependents. As of this moment, I am convince that it is not the best idea to ride a motorbike to work just to reduce the commute time. My wife just convinced me that we should probably move to and rent somewhere near work in Westwood. But, it is going to be really expensive choice, I was told.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
My 2 cents:

I would not do it. My BEST friend was killed a few months ago on his motorcycle, he was only 27 years old. A car did not see or hear him and made a illegal U turn and T boned him. His speed was ruffly 35 miles an hour.

All of us tend to think that bad things wont happen to us and that's how we justify a behavior or an action but it's just the wrong way to think becasue all of us are exposed to the dangers of life.

I have talked to a factory Suzuki rider from the 90's all the way to the weekend riders who ride up in the Angels Forrest and from what I am told it's not the bike that is unsafe, or "YOU" the operator, but the IDIOTS in there 3000lbs+ cars!!

Do as you please but I have lived in California for 7 years and have seen enough nonsense on the road. The drivers are aggressive, impatient and drive extremely too fast. Lots of alcohol and drug abuse at the house party's and the idiot kids still getting behind the wheel when the party is over! I have seen illegals/legal workers drinking beer out in the open during break time who man the wheel of some truck. And if you think your safe in slow traffic there are people who open there doors to block your path if your coming up the middle lane in traffic; as told to me by experienced riders.

Sorry, I would not do it, it's not 1960's anymore; California is a very dangerous place to drive a car, let alone ride a motorcycle.

Last edited by Morphous01; 01-19-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
I cannot believe that someone would purposely open their door to block a motorcycle spliting lanes, which is a legal practice.

To the OP: Since you have dependents and your wife is concerned, I would suggest you move closer. The cost of her worry/anxiety etc every day won't be worth it in the long run.

If you were a single guy, I would have suggested a really loud Ducati Monster and have some fun.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Why can't a married guy ever have some on the freeway ? Well, let me answer it myself: we just can't !!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,282,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmfg888 View Post
Why can't a married guy ever have some on the freeway ? Well, let me answer it myself: we just can't !!
Hi cjmfg888,
Yea, it kinda suxs, but it goes along with the territory.

I had a commuter bike that I used to ride to work and school and it was great being able to take the car pool lanes, cut through traffic, save money on gas, and have excellent parking (not to mention the camaraderie of bikers - and the sense of freedom). I did that for a little over 3 years and racked up close to 13k miles on the bike.

After I got married, and my wife got pregnant, I had to sell the bike. Some things become more important when you have little ones and a wife to take care of. If you want to reduce the stress of the commute, I'd suggest to find a good news radio station (AM 980) or maybe a more comfy car or books on tape?

Once your retired, or the kids have gone off to college, you can re-visit the dream if you still have it.

-chuck22b

Old 01-19-2009, 02:05 PM

190 posts, read 680,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Do as you please but I have lived in California for 7 years and have seen enough nonsense on the road. The drivers are aggressive, impatient and drive extremely too fast. Lots of alcohol and drug abuse at the house party's and the idiot kids still getting behind the wheel when the party is over! I have seen illegals/legal workers drinking beer out in the open during break time who man the wheel of some truck. And if you think your safe in slow traffic there are people who open there doors to block your path if your coming up the middle lane in traffic; as told to me by experienced riders.

Sorry, I would not do it, it's not 1960's anymore; California is a very dangerous place to drive a car, let alone ride a motorcycle.
Oh Lord! The world is a scary place...if we could just go back to the old days or whatever dog patch we came from we would all be happy and safe
I find SoCal to be extremely biker friendly. Try riding back east, much more aggression.
Going on the experience of riding every day rather than hearsay I can tell you many cars will actually move to the edge of the lane to let you by if they see you. Are there jerks? Sure, but I think for the most part people in SoCal are accustomed to bikes and let you go on your way. If you aren't acting like an idiot you will reduce your chances of dealing with idiots.
Personally I wouldn't commute from Torrance to Westwood in or on any sort of vehicle but that is me.
Others have had good advice. Take the MSF, see if you even like riding.
If you do, get yourself a decent commuter bike. Not the biggest, baddest, fastest, you wouldn't be able to handle it anyway. Consider the expense of gear (safety, hot, cold, rain). Decide what you need for storage ( do you have to carry a laptop, lunch, etc?).
Then practice, practice, practice before you attempt going cross town on the freeway at rush hour.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:08 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
Oh Lord! The world is a scary place...if we could just go back to the old days or whatever dog patch we came from we would all be happy and safe
I find SoCal to be extremely biker friendly. Try riding back east, much more aggression.
Going on the experience of riding every day rather than hearsay I can tell you many cars will actually move to the edge of the lane to let you by if they see you. Are there jerks? Sure, but I think for the most part people in SoCal are accustomed to bikes and let you go on your way. If you aren't acting like an idiot you will reduce your chances of dealing with idiots.
Personally I wouldn't commute from Torrance to Westwood in or on any sort of vehicle but that is me.
Others have had good advice. Take the MSF, see if you even like riding.
If you do, get yourself a decent commuter bike. Not the biggest, baddest, fastest, you wouldn't be able to handle it anyway. Consider the expense of gear (safety, hot, cold, rain). Decide what you need for storage ( do you have to carry a laptop, lunch, etc?).
Then practice, practice, practice before you attempt going cross town on the freeway at rush hour.

Better to be safe then sorry.... Don't you remember what Gran-ma always said??

Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
Have you tried the La Brea to San Vicente to Pico route? I think it might be a little bit faster, or at least a little bit less mind numbing.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 PM

Default Is this a viable route time-wise start at 6:30am?

Torrance --> Westwood (Wilshire/Veteran):
  • Take PCH North in Torrance
  • Becomes Sepulveda
  • Becomes S. Sepulveda
  • Turn right on Wilshire Blvd. (Westwood)
  • Left on Veteran
I know eventually I'll have to give it a dry run myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: